BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For you SILVERSIDES fans!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: For you SILVERSIDES fans!! Reply with quote

Just came across this on the web last evening; wanted to share it here; this should appeal to any and all Silversides fans! Very Happy (they were MAGNIFICENT coaches!!) Very Happy http://dioramix.com/greyhound.htm
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Silversides Bus Reply with quote

The New York Museum of Transportation in Rush,NY, outside of Rochester, has one on display in remarkably good condition by the looks of it though paint is faded. I went inside the bus and noticed the unsual location for the gearshift. It was on the steering column instead of the floor as are the stick shifts in most diesel buses, even then. Inside of the bus looks like it is ready to receive a full load of passengers. Like most, if not all Silversides, this one is not restroom equipped. It is worth a look see by any of you who may be anywhere near the Museum or Rochester area some Sunday. Museum is open from 11am to 4 pm on Sundays. It has a trolley ride/track car ride connecting it with the Rochester NRHS Industry Erie RR depot museum. Track is from the old Rochester subway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY interesting, indeed! First I ever heard of a Silversides having the shift on the steering column, instead of the floor; certainly, that was NOT common practice on buses of that era, most especially long-haul!

Back in the early 80s, there used to be two old Silversides sitting well behind an old service station on Route 46, several miles east of Hackensack (NJ); neither of them were in old Greyhound colors; if I am not mistaken, both were red/white.

They have been gone for well over 25 years now. Sure hope they found a good home, somewhere! Anyway, here is another Silverside page I think you might enjoy! Very Happy http://www.steveweatherford.com/TheBUSPage.htm
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no! you're not going to get me started on 'Washboards are you'? (which is what the nickname was for the Greyhound Silversides models).

BTW; The Bus World Encyclopedia of Buses by Ed Strauss in referencing the PD 3751 and PD 4151 (which were the two Greyhound Silverside models) says that; "Following automotive design of the times, the Silversides had the gearshift mounted on the steering column".

However, I think that I read somewhere that some Greyhound operators retrofitted floor shifts because of driver complaints.

Attached is a shot from the movie "A League of Their Own' for which this writer provided one of three Silverside Greyhounds (the referenced one bus was sliced into three sections and mounted on dollies for sound stage filming).

The one gentleman in the photo is Tom Hanks.

Enjoy.

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Mr. Linksy, but the DEVIL made me do this...... Rolling Eyes (enjoy!) Very Happy http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_192709-GM-PD-3751-1948.html
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....somehow....when one imagines the lush landscape of the Dutch countryside....with its picturesque windmills and colorful tulip beds......they usually do not picture a vintage SILVERSIDES bellowing and roaring down the road....... Shocked Very Happy http://busmania.co.uk/greyhound/index.htm
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever seen a delivery listing for the various Silversides models, both pre-war and post-war? I'd like to track down the serials for several Silversides I've run across in the past. For the most part, delivery lists for intercity coaches are pretty rare.

Roy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Roy: I'd sure like to see such a listing, myself! Surely, one is out there somewhere! About as much as I can tell you (regarding postwar models) is that 1,643 PD-3751's were built, while only 367 PG-4151's rolled out of the factory, between 1947 and 1948. John
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Delivery Lists Reply with quote

I have been looking for one for the PD4107 "Buffalo" and I cannot find a damn thing for that bus. 4108 maybe, but the 4107? forgeddaboutit, it seems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I STILL refer to "Buffalos" as "Baby Scenicruisers"! Very Happy These handsome coaches had the distinction of being the LAST that Greyhound purchased from GMC. After that, it was the era of the MCI's, all the way..... John (PS: First ones built were the PD-4107's in 1966, while the last, the P8M-4108A's, hit the roads in 1979, making the NEWEST of these distinct coaches 30 years old today!)
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
...However, I think that I read somewhere that some Greyhound operators retrofitted floor shifts because of driver complaints...

Mr "L" -

I have yet to encounter the report. Within the context of the series of "Letter Lines" era, I can think of several operators with
strength in their garages to perform such a change. Whether it happened? Who knows?..

Suspects being: C - Central, K - Pacific, M - Southeastern, O - Overland, and P - Pennsylvania. I'm uncertain whether the
"P" people much cared. I recall some conversations with a veteran "P" operator who was near phobic about the old column shift.

..................Vern............
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can one NOT love a Silversides??? Rolling Eyes The Silversides, without a doubt, was one of the SLEEKEST and FINEST highway coaches EVER to grace the Highways Of America!! Very Happy http://www.eskimo.com/~carcosa/bus.html
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't argue the point because, in it's day, the Silversides was the 'living end'!

However, I can't discount the 4106 as being up in that same stratosphere!

They were two great buses!

BTW; that's a Carey Transportation at JFK.

Mr. 'L'

HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
...However, I can't discount the 4106 as being up in that same stratosphere!...

Mr "L" -

Agree! Recalling some now old memories, the 4106 presented an obvious rethinking of the 4104. In its apperances on the streets and roads,
first impressions led one to believe it was a cleaner and crisper updating of the older 4104 standard. Past the visceral, it had the benefit of
lessons learned with the internals and mechanicals, too...

..................Vern.................

Last edited by HwyHaulier on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky: WOW!!!!!! Shocked Shocked That 4106 is one heckuva CHARMER!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Man, do I miss seeing classics like that on the roads!! Yep, GMC really KNEW how to make a SUPERIOR product!!!! Very Happy Thanks for sharing that beautiful pic!! Very Happy John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: