BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peter Pan Trouble

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Peter Pan Trouble Reply with quote

It was in the news recently about an incident where a Peter Pan driver, with a bus full of passengers enroute from Boston to New York was engaged in texting someone while the bus was cruising down I 95 enroute to New York and a passenger caught him in the act and turned the film into the company.In addition to texting, this guy was tearing tickets! Here is another example of behind the wheel nonsense that has got to stop before someone is killed. As if I did not see enough going on here in Western New York! The passenger on that bus sent a link to the company. Peter Pan's reaction to this incident turns out to be something else altogether. Let us hope there is not a repeat of this or someone is killed as a result of a similar incident.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

The driver was not texting. He was talking to the dispatcher on a company-issued cell phone. He was separating tickets and eating some chips, too. The passenger was concerned that his attention was not on his driving. The video is on YouTube.

For his actions, the driver has been terminated. The union citing the driver's long record of safe driving (reportedly a million-miler), the union is going to seek reinstatement.

Roy
timecruncher

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not advocating for the driver, but if the cellphone was issued by the carrier -- and he was expected to answer it even while driving -- then the bus line is promoting what is an unsafe habit and has some nerve terminating the guy.

While snacking and doing paperwork definitely should be considered unsafe behavior for the operator, I think the union has a bit of leverage considering the operator's tenure and his safe driving record. Most of us have been in the same position, counting transfers, grabbing a sandwich, sipping on a drink, calling the radio dispatcher (is a 2-way radio that much different from a cellphone in this case?). I know I am guilty of multitasking in the driver's seat.

One of our instructors at Metro once said that 40% of our passengers are watching everything we do in the driver's seat, from scratching ourself to picking our nose. With heightened awareness of flagrant use of cellphones by professional drivers, I would suggest that it is a bad idea for any bus operator to even answer the phone while his vehicle is moving.

If the dispatcher has to call, then pull off at the first safe location and call the durn fool to see what he/she wants!

And leave the snacks and tickets to the next stop. If you run late, gripe to the schedule man, but don't take chances, even if you have had a good run for many years and many miles.

If I were an arbitrator in this case, I would put the guy back to work with full back pay, etc.

And that's a lot coming from me.

timecruncher
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Peter Pan Trouble Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that one item up, Roy. Lakefront Lines has the same communications set up on their buses. As to the tearing of tickets, that should wait until the end of the driver's run when he is due to finish up his paperwork before going off duty anyway. I will check that video out. Thanks again for setting me strait. Sure appreciate it.
roymanning2000 wrote:
Jim,

The driver was not texting. He was talking to the dispatcher on a company-issued cell phone. He was separating tickets and eating some chips, too. The passenger was concerned that his attention was not on his driving. The video is on YouTube.

For his actions, the driver has been terminated. The union citing the driver's long record of safe driving (reportedly a million-miler), the union is going to seek reinstatement.

Roy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not seen the video. From reports posted elsewhere, he is said to have appeared tired (yawning, head drooping, etc.) and, at times, had both hands off the wheel. See the video yourself and decide.

Considering he has a long record of safe driving in very tough territory, I would hope he is reinstated.
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Peter Pan Troubl Reply with quote

Roy; You're right. If that guy is a 3 million miler, then Peter Pan ought to get him back in the driver's seat pronto as this caliber of drivers does not exactly grow on trees. It takes considerable effort to drive 3 million miles safely over a period of time, especially with all the nonsense going on on the road these days. I saw the video and the guy had at least one hand on the wheel most of the time. The ticket separation should have waited until the end of the run. If anyone should catch hell over this, it is the scheduler, NOT the driver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: