BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do the Prevosts Mean a Conversion of Greyhound's Fleet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Do the Prevosts Mean a Conversion of Greyhound's Fleet? Reply with quote

With the introduction of such a large number of Prevost coaches into Greyhound's fleet, does that mean a conversion to an all Prevost fleet is in the offing? Also could that mean that Greyhound's relationship with MCI went sour just as it did with General Motors over a generation ago?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thought. If I can I'll ask one of the Greyhound drivers. Or better yet contact Greyhound themselves. Not so much the relationship between MCI and GM but I'm sure they'll know about the fleet conversion.

From what I've seen personally, all of their new buses have been Prevosts and no new MCI's, so I guess they got a divorce Smile
metrolinecoach111

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have been told from the people I know in the organization, the issues between GLI and MCI began with the planning and operational stages of the G4500 (which GLI helped to design) - on Greyhound's account, these buses have been awful for them, problem after problem after problem. From then on,their long-standing relationship began to go south - GLI' take on MCI is that they have "lost their edge in engineering", particularly with the J4500, which is basically a D model with an E front and back. If MCI were still producing MC-12's, the real workhorses and backbone of the GLI fleet for cross-country intercity travel, then they would still be fine. If you think about it, the D's are suitable for most any job and take the hardest beating of anything on the road, but they are not really designed for the true intercity services GLI operates - the J4500 is more of a medium-haul and commuter type bus and the E does not fit the profile for GLI's services, they didn't want any more D's, so the 4505's were out.

In terms of Prevost, they came along, as most of you already know, for the BoltBus service, GLI and PPB wanted to go far and away from a traditional intercity commuter service and wanted to bring the perception of a bus company to a new generation. The curb appeal and performance of the X3's, despite a few flaws along the way, earned enough accolades from Dallas that they feel the X3 can serve as their new standard for the traditional GLI services - thus the new order. If you read carefully into the press releases GLI and First have been issuing on the new X3's, yes they plan to eventually have the X3's replace their MCI's in the long run - however, this will not happen for quite some time.

When First purchased Laidlaw and GLI with it, they wanted to rebrand and refocus the company as a whole and bring it to a level on par with what First Group has produced from its other entities - this is one of the major steps they have taken to do so.
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep just as I suspected. They got a divorce. Smile I hope MCI didn't get their butt slammed on the way out LOL.

No seriously. It really is too bad that MCI is not working out for Greyhound and that they have to resort to a foreign manufacturer which I consider yet to be a big blow to the American manufacturer. First the auto workers, now the bus manufacturers.

I've been driving the D4500s (transit style, like the New Jersey Transit style buses) and they've been really, very trouble free and believe, they are not new, with upwards of 500,000 miles and looking and feeling great.

The style of D4500's I drive will not fit the specs for Greyhound. No Christmas ornanments. Radios, Video monitors..........

Last edited by shortlineMCI on Tue May 19, 2009 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCI has really found its niche in the suburban commuter market. I think they'll be fine.
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, you must have posted while I was responding. But this is good. This is very good.
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Regarding MCI's 55 seats is too many for Intercity Service Reply with quote

As for intercity service. In most cases, I believe that 55 seats per bus is too many for the bus to be suitable for most intercity applications. I have ridden on Greyhound's DL3s and though a fine bus in most respects, has too many seats too close together, making me feel like being packed in like a can of sardines. That's how cramped Greyhound's DL3s and other 55 seaters are. I would have made 50 seats the optimum maximum for intercity service. In its present configuration, the DL 3 is essentially a commuter bus being used in a service it is not really suitable for. Otherwise not a bad bus at all. The MC12 or even MC9 would be a better bus for most intercity applications.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: