BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'A Q44 Reminiscence'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:50 am    Post subject: 'A Q44 Reminiscence' Reply with quote

This is one that Pipe should have no trouble remembering;

The NYCTS Q44 (or the 44A - I don't remember which exactly) used to terminate on the east side of Queens Boulevard at a subway entrance just off Union Turnpike (the section was officially Forest Hill), and I seem to remember that the destination sign was adjusted to 'Veligh Place' - if my spelling is correct, and wherever that was.

The buses that come to mind as being regular on the route were GM TDH 5100 class 'old looks' with double wide front doors (monsters at over 40 feet long! and 102" wide!).

The one thing that sticks in my mind was when they would load up to capacity in the evening rush and then have to make a sharp u-turn on Queens Boulevard to return to Union Turnpike to head east.

They were running so heavy and that two stroke Detroit was pushing so hard that the buses used to lean way over on the turn and, as a kid at the time, I always thought they were going to roll over! (I can still see them clearly as though it were yesterday!).

Boy, that was 'hauling' you know what at its best!

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"

Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York
Q65A

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice story, Mr. L!
Both the Q44A and Q44VP (today called Q46 and Q74, respectively) have their stands on the east side of Queens Blvd., just north of Union Tpke. (at the Union Tpke IND subway station). I often wondered at that U-turn, too!
Of course, that area had a lot of GBL action, too.
For subway fans, a short walk east on 78th Rd. to Grand Central Pkwy. would give you a good vantage point for observing IND trains heading to and from Jamaica Yard.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Nice story, Mr. L!
Both the Q44A and Q44VP (today called Q46 and Q74, respectively) have their stands on the east side of Queens Blvd., just north of Union Tpke. (at the Union Tpke IND subway station). I often wondered at that U-turn, too!
Of course, that area had a lot of GBL action, too.
For subway fans, a short walk east on 78th Rd. to Grand Central Pkwy. would give you a good vantage point for observing IND trains heading to and from Jamaica Yard.

Bob,

For a more complete story of the subway setup at Union Turnpike go to; http://www.oldkewgardens.com/ps99-008.html - I think you'll find it very interesting (if I must say so myself!).

For other essays and pictorials just follow the 'next' cues.
Pay particular attention to the 'panoramic view' of the section of Queens Boulevard that we both mention! (which includes a 'wide shot' of the Jamaica Yards).

Enjoy

Mr. Linsky

"The Green Hornet"
Pipe

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Linsky. I have to correct you The Buses where GM TDH-5101 Bus numbers where 4500's. That was before my time. But I do remember as a passenger they did have swing loads. As for making the left turn on Queens Boulevard then the hard right on Union Turnpike. I never had any problem on that turn. I had a big Bus So I just keep on going. I only worked the morning rush hour and mid day runs on the Q-44VP From 6:00 AM to 2:00 PM. "Pipe" Smile
Pipe

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob The Last stop and stand on the Q44VP (Q-74) was on the West side of Queens Bouldvard. I did leave the passenger off in the Q-44A (Q-76) stop. I never had any problems whit the Green Line Buses. "Pipe"
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipe wrote:
Mr.Linsky. I have to correct you The Buses where GM TDH-5101 Bus numbers where 4500's. That was before my time. But I do remember as a passenger they did have swing loads. As for making the left turn on Queens Boulevard then the hard right on Union Turnpike. I never had any problem on that turn. I had a big Bus So I just keep on going. I only worked the morning rush hour and mid day runs on the Q-44VP From 6:00 AM to 2:00 PM. "Pipe" Smile

Pipe,

I'm sorry if I confused the issue on the model number - if you will remember, I said a 'TDH 5100' "class" which would encompass any 51 passenger model from the 5101 through the 5106 (the reason I used that wide ranging term was because I wasn't sure of what particular 51 issue it was).

It would be as though I said a 4500 class which would include the 06, 07, 09 and 12! - in other words, a similar expression that would be used by the Navy when they would want to describe a certain type of battle ship (ie; a Los Angeles Class or a New Jersey Class).

What I was trying to describe was the 'hairpin u-turn' on Queens Boulevard itself and what affect the swinging load had on the weight distribution of the vehicle which, in scientific terms, would be the 'G' forces.

I hope I've cleared up the matter.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Pipe

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Linsky. You did clear up the matter. I was in the Army. But I do know what you mean by the"G" forces. It was the same thing whit the Fish Bowl Buses and they where air-ride Buses. "Pipe"
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipe wrote:
Bob The Last stop and stand on the Q44VP (Q-74) was on the West side of Queens Bouldvard. I did leave the passenger off in the Q-44A (Q-76) stop. I never had any problems whit the Green Line Buses. "Pipe"

Pipe,

Things may have changed since my time but I could swear that the old Q44's came up the Union Turnpike hill to Queens Boulevard, made a right and stopped in that block which I always considered to be the east side of the street.

Then they would pull up to the corner traffic light and make the sharp u-turn to the center 'express' Jamaica bound lane and run to Burough Hall to make the left back down the Union Turnpike hill.

I will admit that the compass directions in the area are a bit confusing because the maps show that Queens Boulevard, in the vacinity of Kew Gardens and Forest Hills, does run north north west (to New York) - so the bus stop would have been on the more easterly side of the boulevard.

When you think about it, the Interboro (Jackie Robinson) does travel west to Brooklyn - I know because I've traveled it many time with the sun shining in my eyes around sunset!

Mr. Linsky
"the Green Hornet"
Q65A

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipe wrote:
Thanks for that info, Pipe!
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Pipe wrote:
Thanks for that info, Pipe!

Pipe,

If you're saying what I think you're saying then the 74 and 76 stops were (or are) on opposite sides of the boulevard.

That would explain the east west mixup!

In my time they all terminated on the easterly side.

Bob was correct in stating that Green Line had quite a presence at that juncture.

The Q37 and Q10 both terminated within a block of the 44's and, of course, the Q60 ran right through.

There was never a shortage of bus services in that area!

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: