BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'TRIBORO COACH # 1105 FOUND'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: 'TRIBORO COACH # 1105 FOUND' Reply with quote

‘TRIBORO COACH # 1105 FOUND’

Pictured below is brand new fleet number 1105 – a 1948 GM Model TDH 4507 and one of fifteen (1101 to 1115) delivered to Triboro Coach Corporation of Jackson Heights, New York in July of that year.

At some point, possibly in the late fifties or early sixties, this bus along with a number of other Triboro and Green Line 4507’s were sold to the Reading Bus Company of Reading, Pennsylvania. renumbered to their 800’s and thought never to be seen again!

However, thanks to Laddie Vitek of Northern California Bus Fans and his handy camera, we have found several of these coaches (or what’s left of them) languishing among the weeds somewhere in the vicinity of the City of Reading.

Also pictured below are interior shots of # 815 (ex TCC 1105), and the exterior of RBC # 825 - also an ex Triboro.

Enjoy.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY operator

Last edited by Mr. Linsky on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! You never know what you'll find sitting around in junkyards.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you imagine that these buses are 59 years old!

In the back of my mind, I've often wondered whether any of the 140 GM Old Looks that Green Line operated might still be alive albeit not kicking.

You can just imagine my amazement to have stumbled across a genuine piece of company history?

Pictured below are photos of Green Line's ex 302 and 310 (Reading's 801 and 809 respectively).

Notice the faded '302' behind what was an advertisement frame under the rear windows of 801.

I'll say the same thing here that I said on another channel and that is that if I had an extra $100,000 or so hanging around and the place to store a bus (without my wife knowing about it - because she'd kill me), I'd take the best of both for one great restoration - and I'm the best one to do it because I know exactly to the last detail what it should look like - after all, I lived behind those wheels!

Again, I want to thank Laddie Vitek for his efforts in bringing these buses to the forefront.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY operator

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting photos of what Triboro's former 4507's looked like when they first began service with Reading Bus Company of Reading, Pa.

Pictures courtesy of Buslist of GMOldLookBus.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not a car devotee, but judging by the Chevy Station Wagon to the right of 822, I think the picture was taken in the early to mid-seventies. Also look at the Afro, the fellow walking past the back of the bus is wearing.. Also the cars in the 820 picture seem to be of the same vintage.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ECA,

The records do not indicate when the Green Line and Triboro 4507's were sold to Reading, but I would guesstimate that it was probably in the early to mid sixties which would have made them about 12 to 15 years old at the time.

In that the life expectancy of the typical GM Old Look bus was anywhere from twenty to thirty years (just like today!), it's a safe bet to say that Reading ran them well into the seventies.

This was one bone that I have always picked with the Motor Bus Society; they only indicate what ex buses were bought by a company but never where a company's ex buses went! (which is just as important).

I guess you just can't have everything!

Regards.

WCA
Jeff406cid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That chevy wagon is a 1973.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: