BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MaBSTOA Nostalgia ("Take 2")
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 93, 94, 95  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
I think I would go for "Sherman" for the Old Looks, and "Pershings" for the MACKS.

Fair enough . . .
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Rocky BRILL-boa".........

Oddly enough, despite the colorful and diverse variety of bus manufacturers represented by the Hudson County "indy" fleets of my long-ago youth, not one of these companies ever rostered ACF-BRILL transits.

However, both DE CAMP and INTER-CITY both rostered suburban ACF-BRILL C-44's well into the 60's; I knew these tough, no-nonsense bruisers well, growing up.

SOMERSET also had some suburban "Rocky Brill-boa's" in the 1960's; these, I believe, were replaced by a group of new Prevost CHAMPIONS in the late 1960's.

If ANY "old school" bus was a match for the MACK ("Pershing"] it would have had to have been the big, brawny "Rocky BRILL-boas"....these suckers were TOUGH....and sure SOUNDED it! Wink

"NYO"

["INTER-CITY LINES"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Sounds of (Bus) Music"............

Old Looks (aka"Shermans") emitted a sound that was, at once, both powerful and refined.

Old Look suburbans (like 4104's) serended you with a powerful-sounding: "GRUMMM-GRUUMM-GRUUUMM!" when they idled at a stop or a light.

Fishbowls had a sound that I liken to "smooth jazz", especially when the driver could "open up" a bit.

Some Fishbowls, I recall, had a distinctive, harmonic wheeze: "Pheww-Pheww-Pheww" when they idled.

MACKS (aka "PERSHINGS") simply sounded TOUGH!

I especially loved the noises they made when they were pulling up to a stop!

ACF-BRILLS ("Rocky BRILL-BOAS"] sounded off with DEEP bass growl; you KNEW that these buses were BRUTES!

Today's buses, well, IMHO, they make NOISE....but NO music (at least to my "classically-trained" ears....... Wink

"NYO"

["97 JERSEY CITY"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came across this photo showing the "white-on-black/white-on-red" side destination sign of restored B&QT PCC #1001............

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?66447

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["68 CONEY ISLAND"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's buses, well, IMHO, they make NOISE....but NO music (at least to my "classically-trained" ears....... Wink

I wonder, how much of that "noise" is synthesized, or to put it another way, artificially generated and not part of the apparatus?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

I wonder, how much of that "noise" is synthesized, or to put it another way, artificially generated and not part of the apparatus?

W.B.:

This never crossed my mind, but, now, I have to wonder myself.

After all, REAL buses made REAL sounds that REAL buses made; so, I guess it would indeed make sense that IMITATION buses would emit "sounds" that are NOT actual sounds, the type of sounds which we knew were made by the ENGINES themselves.

Give me the sweet, mellow sounds of a REAL bus, anyday; I'm a man whose tastes favor the "oldies" and "classical"........ Wink

"NYO"

["TDH-5106"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red, white, and black.......... Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153823

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153789

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?55011

["4 LIMITED STOPS"]
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking about "ODDBALLS"...

When I lived in Miami, we had two bus agencies, Metropolitan Dade County Transit Authority (MTA) and Coral Gables Municipal System.

Each had a unique fleet...

The MTA had mostly TDH-5106 ex Miami Transit and Miami Beach Railway. The drivers referred to the as "Hot Boxes" As well as air contioned TDH-5302, TDH-5304, and TDH-5306. Flxible
came in 1972-1973.

The Gables fleet had TDH-4517 and TDH-4519 with air conditioning. In 1971 they leased 10 TDH-5106 buses from the MTA to supplant the fleet and for School Bus runs. They were painted in Gables white over navy blue and had their steering wheels changed to black. Why? I don't know.

But the real ODDBALLS were the Southern Coach and Twin Coach buses Gables was still operating. I rode both. Hated the Twins but I liked the Southerns.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

Ahhh, so you lived in Miami for a spell; QUITE a long ways from MaBSTOA territory! Rolling Eyes

Back in the early/mid-60's, in Hudson County, we had a truly DIVERSE fleet of buses (even some prewar!)

We had both YELLOW and GM Old Looks ("Shermans"), MACKS ("Pershings"), WHITES (two models), ACF-BRILL C-44's ("Rocky BRILL-boa" suburbans), even some prewar TWINS ("slant backs"), and Fitzjohns (oh, and some REOS thrown in for good measure!)

We didn't see Fishbowls on "The Boulevard" (now Kennedy Boulevard"0 until late 1966/early 1967, which, sadly, killed off the oldest "Shermans" and the "Pershings".

In the mid-70's, the now long-defunct BLUE & WHITE company was operating a VERY diverse fleet for that era (all second-hand), Old Looks, Fishbowls, and some MAGNIFICENT New Look Macks (ex-Yonkers)

One veteran driver I knew back in the 70's had a particular loyalty for Old Looks, which he always referred to as "Whiz-Bangers"! Wink

Ahhh, to go back to the glory days of REAL buses, and NOT giant milk cartons or slithering, oversized Slinky toys! Rolling Eyes Razz Wink

"NYO"

["JERSEY CITY-BAYONNE LOCAL"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I had noted earlier, postwar TWINS (aka: "Oddballs") were far, far from common in "Noo Joisey", back in the day.

However, ATLANTIC CITY TRANSPORTATION COMPANY (NJ), in 1949, purchased four of the Model 41-S.

This company also operated three other models of TWIN, including the last original postwar models, five Model 45-S's.........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?157291

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?157292

["ATLANTIC CITY"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grand Avenue & Brown Pl., circa-1950...............

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?140718

["BoT"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I see, on neither the "Bee O'Tee's" side nor Surface's did these Twin "Oddballs" see sustained service in Manhattan, that is assigned to Manhattan depots. Unlike the 'Shermans' or 'Pershings' (including, in the BOT's case, the Bingham variants).
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I had noted earlier, postwar TWINS (aka: "Oddballs") were far, far from common in "Noo Joisey", back in the day.

However, ATLANTIC CITY TRANSPORTATION COMPANY (NJ), in 1949, purchased four of the Model 41-S.

This company also operated three other models of TWIN, including the last original postwar models, five Model 45-S's.........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?157291

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?157292

["ATLANTIC CITY"]

At least part of the "roughness" of those "Oddballs' " appearance was owing to the lo-res pixelation when blown up for appearing on the nycsubway.org photo library. I've seen quite a few pics, including of latter-day 'Shermans', Fishbowls and 'Dangerfields' with that attribute.

It's why I keep saying, better to scan a photo or slide hi-res and shrink it, than to expand a lo-res file of that nature.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Makes sense to me.

Regarding the quality of "old time" transit photos, some are as crisp and clear as though they were taken just yesterday; others, on the other hand, are quite grainy and "out of focus".

I have seen bus photos on nycsubway.org that only date to the 70's and 80's, and the quality leaves a great deal to be desired.

Many times, a "marginal" old transit photo can be restored beautifully; others, sadly, are hopeless.

Too, it is important to consider the quality of the film available 60-70 years ago, as well as the damage to prints and negatives, stored away in closets, attics, and garages for decades.

Think of the thousands of photos that must have been taken over the years of the els, subways, and streetcars, snapped on countless ERA/NRHS fantrips, so many decades ago.........captured history.....lost history......

"NYO"

["Sic Transit Gloria"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Makes sense to me.

Regarding the quality of "old time" transit photos, some are as crisp and clear as though they were taken just yesterday; others, on the other hand, are quite grainy and "out of focus".

I have seen bus photos on nycsubway.org that only date to the 70's and 80's, and the quality leaves a great deal to be desired.

Many times, a "marginal" old transit photo can be restored beautifully; others, sadly, are hopeless.

Too, it is important to consider the quality of the film available 60-70 years ago, as well as the damage to prints and negatives, stored away in closets, attics, and garages for decades.

Think of the thousands of photos that must have been taken over the years of the els, subways, and streetcars, snapped on countless ERA/NRHS fantrips, so many decades ago.........captured history.....lost history......

"NYO"

["Sic Transit Gloria"]

I've seen grainy and out-of-focus pics myself in my life, and those pics of the NJ "Oddballs" don't fit that criteria. Rather, it was in how the pic or slide was scanned. Even some pics scanned lo-res on nycsubway, I've seen better quality representations on eBay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72 ... 93, 94, 95  Next
Page 71 of 95

Jump to: