BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Article - 'Buses and Beyond: 10 Cities with Great Transit'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Article - 'Buses and Beyond: 10 Cities with Great Transit' Reply with quote

I'll let you guys take a hack at this:

MSN - Buses and Beyond: 10 Cities with Great Transit

I'm all for mass media promotion of public transit, but it really does seem that the writers used transit authority press releases as their primary source of information.
Cyberider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix? They've got to be kidding!
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, you can forget 'Traffic Signal Priority' for the 'Rapids' (if you want to call them that!), in Los Angeles.

That was a joke altogether!, and I was looking forward to following them through all the lights that they would change to green!

Mr. 'L'
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh! Excessive, unsupported "happy talk" violations abound? Consider the source! The various biases are way too obvious...

Oh, what? No hints at all how much all of this is costing whom? Just an oversight, I'll guess. Some of the eager ideas about proposed
new services would be downright droll, if we didn't think of the taxpayers who will be hurt in the process...

..............Vern..............
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Transit Can Run Like a Business and Still Do the JOb Reply with quote

It seems to me that some of these transit systems would be a lot better off if they operated much like businesses as they do public services so that they would not screw the taxpayers like so many seem to do today. By operating much like a business and yet serving the needs of the people a really good transit system could take on the appearance of an investor owned transit company of years gone by and yet still be a public service operation. By getting rid of such frivolous expenses as self aggrandization, wrapping an entire bus, and the like, transit systems would be better able to cover more of their costs from the farebox than many of them do now. In addition, get some one who is a TRUE PROFESSIONAL in transit and NOT some worthless political hack running the show and a transit system would be much better off than it is now. Pittsburgh"s PATransit seems to be a shining example of how NOT to run a transit system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieseljim -

Sigh! I saw this one coming when it first started. Check out the present day financing schemes. It is hard to figure how
there is any incentive to excel...

Do that, and delivered results inevitable. I didn't say this. I'm the messenger. It is in huge numbers of management books
(Tom Peters a good writer, for instance)...

.................Vern................
timecruncher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It came from MSNBC. For heaven's sake -- these people couldn't be objective about any kind of news article that oozes from their writers.

And APTA? Sheesh! Those people will brag on a bus getting repainted in Detroit using stimulus funds while the bus system is cutting 25% of its service. They would echo the president and say that painting one bus a week is "creating 6,000 jobs" for Americans!

timecruncher
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: