BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seatbelts Featured on New Greyhound Prevosts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Seatbelts Featured on New Greyhound Prevosts Reply with quote

Did anyone know that the new Greyhound Prevosts have the same 3 point seatbelts you find in most cars. I read it in a copy of METRO magazine passed to me by a friend who does consulting for New York Trailways. Not only that, but these buses seem to have real nice looking seats as well. The seats are designed to provide added compartmentalization for the passengers whether belted or not. Thus Greyhound is taking the leadership in motorcoach safety and that is great. I see hope for the running dog, yet. Ruff, Ruff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this is the reason why!;

Greyhound Potentially Liable for Lack of Bus Seatbelts

July 2, 2009

A Federal Court judge in Sacramento, Calif., has ruled that Greyhound could be liable for failing to put seatbelts on its buses. In this case, the plaintiffs were eight passengers who were traveling on a Greyhound bus that was involved in a rollover accident on the I-5 Freeway. The passengers, who were severely injured in the accident, claim that their injuries could have been prevented had Greyhound equipped its buses with seat belts.

Greyhound sought to have the case dismissed arguing that Federal law preempted the passengers' state law claims. Specifically, Greyhound argued that because the Federal Government does not require seat belts on buses that any state court action based on the failure to install seatbelts was preempted by the Federal Government's inaction.

In its ruling the court rejected Greyhound's argument and is allowing plaintiffs' seat belt claims to go to a jury. The judge found that the Federal Government's failure to require seatbelts on buses does not prevent injured bus passengers from pursuing claims based on the failure to install seat belts.

Plaintiff's attorney, Stuart Talley, said: "For years experts in the field have been calling for seatbelts on buses but somehow the bus industry has been able to prevent legislation from being enacted. Every year, hundreds of people are severely injured in bus accidents and many die. In fact, since our case was filed more than a 105 people have died in bus accidents throughout the United States. Greyhound and the bus industry have simply provided no rationale basis for their refusal to install seatbelts. This decision will hopefully allow a jury to hold Greyhound accountable for its actions."

The action in which the order was entered is pending the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California and entitled Soto v. Greyhound et al., Case No.. 2:06-CV-01612 MCE-DAD

Stuart Talley is a partner in the Sacramento firm of Kershaw, Cutter & Ratinoff.

Source: Kershaw, Cutter & Ratinoff

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Greyhound's Potential liability in Accidents Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky; That makes a great deal of sense. I think it is high time that our big corporations were held accountable for their actions and not just Greyhound. Greyhound's corporate behaviour in the past is why I am glad I am not part of that cesspool known as Corporate America. Too many white collar crooks running the damned show, a major bus line like the "Hound included.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but it's government intrusion forcing them to act in the public's best interest Shocked
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
Ah, but it's government intrusion forcing them to act in the public's best interest Shocked

ripta42 - All -

You'll note this a bit of a curiousity, should you be a part time Constitution scholar...

In this one, "State's Rights" trump the Feds? Geez! I thought that issue lost with Lincoln's War Of Northern Aggression! (As a matter of fact,
the widely held belief is erroneous. The matter was settled, long before that, with the spate between Gen. (?) Buchanan and the Mormons,
over the business they wished to establish a separate Nation (and on Nez Perce Lands, besides!). You can look it up...

..................Vern...............
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

States are allowed to be more restrictive than the Feds, just not less. California can't say that seat belts are no longer mandatory in personal automobiles.
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Seatbelts SAVE Lives Reply with quote

They DO save lives. Seatbelts sure saved mine in a 55 mph head on collision 12 years ago that could have easily been multiple fatilities with four dead including yours truly.
ripta42 wrote:
States are allowed to be more restrictive than the Feds, just not less. California can't say that seat belts are no longer mandatory in personal automobiles.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now I'll tell you a story about someone that would have died whether he was wearing the seat belt or not! (don't get me wrong! I am an advocate for restraints and always use them).

The fellow's name was Ernie Kovacs who, for those of you who may not remember, was a well known TV talk show host in the 50's and 60' and was married to Edie Adams also of show business fame.

It was a rainy night in Los Angeles when Mr. Kovacs was involved in a deadly accident at the intersection of Wilshire Boulevard and Santa Monica Boulevard in Beverly Hills.

Apparently, he skidded into a telephone pole which penetrated the driver's door and threw him across the car and out the passenger side to the ground where he suffered a fatal skull fracture.

He obviously wasn't wearing a belt at the time of impact because, if he had been, he would have been crushed by the pole!

Go Figure!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

timecruncher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And he tore up a perfectly beautiful '57 Chevy by driving like an idiot.

timecruncher
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a strong advocate for wearing seatbelts, and I do admit that I wear it only because it is a revenue generator and that I must keep my CDL clean albeit it is uncomfortable.

But a passenger told me a story that happened to her husband back in the late 70's where they had a frontal collision, well, he saw it coming, was not wearing his seatbelt, jumped on to his wife in the passenger seat, and the stearing wheel went straight through the rear window.

So, rare things do happen like that. STILL!!!! Wearing seatbelts should be a choice.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With crumple zones, stiffer passenger compartments, energy-absorbing steering columns, and airbags, he would be better off in his seat and wearing a seatbelt in today's cars. There are probably close to zero incidents of drivers being impaled on steering columns nowadays.

My father has a similar story about an accident he witnessed in the 1960s. A teenager in a 1940s Oldsmobile hydroplaned, and he had the foresight to jump into the back seat to save his own life. Can't say the same for the family of four he hit head on.
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
With crumple zones, stiffer passenger compartments, energy-absorbing steering columns, and airbags, he would be better off in his seat and wearing a seatbelt in today's cars.

My father has a similar story about an accident he witnessed in the 1960s. A teenager in a 1940s Oldsmobile hydroplaned, and he had the foresight to jump into the back seat to save his own life. Can't say the same for the family of four he hit head on.

Yes..I know..I will fess up..you do stand a much higher chance of surviving by wearing the seatbelts for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: