BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flxible New Look rear windows

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Flxible New Look rear windows Reply with quote

This is something I've thought about for quite awhile now, regarding the rear windows on Flxible New Looks. On the earlier, non a/c'd models, the New Looks featured a large rear window, similiar to those used on GMC's Fishbowls. However, the later models (a/c'd) featured a smaller, narrower window; you could see the outline of the old window area filled in.

Was this due to the need for more structural stabilty in the rear window area, when an a/c unit was to be mounted over the rear window? On GMC Fishbowls, the SAME rear window was used on both the non-a/c'd coaches as well as those equipped with a/c. Were there different structural issues with the Flxible coaches? Am I on the right track, here? Appreciate any info....... John
RailBus63

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Boston's 1975 order of Flxibles, the smaller rear window was an emergency window that was hinged on top, compared to the fixed rear window on the MBTA's earlier Flxibles. The T's AM General buses from 1976-78 also had a rear emergency window, but it's 1982 Flyer D901's went back to a fixed window.
Bill D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This picture of some Waterbury Flxibles back in the early 1980's shows the rear emergency window as Jim described. As these buses aged, we had problems with rotting metal around the windows due to water penetration. On some of our fleet, the rear windows were removed and the opening sealed and covered with sheet metal.

Bill

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63/Bill D : Thanks for this interesting info, as well as a great pic!! Very Happy I've found it most interesting to learn about some Flexies having the rear window totally covered over with sheet metal.

This was something that I have not heard of before; certainly, none of the NJDOT-purchased Flxibles I remember ever had thier rear windows covered over. I always noticed how the former rear window area had been filled in and replaced with the one small window.

Flxibles did not come into my area until around 1976/77, when the State-purchased equipment started coming on-line to retire the oldest Old Looks of certain properties. They, themselves, have now been gone for a number of years now. Thanks again for the info! John
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an interior photo of MBTA 1975 Flxible New Look #7415 showing the smaller rear window - you can see the emergency handle just above and to the left of the bus number on the window.

(Click on the image to go to the gallery page to see a larger view).

Last edited by RailBus63 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63: Thanks for putting up that great Flex interior shot! NJT retired thier ex-NJDOT jobs, I believe, around 1996 or so. The very LAST Flexie New Look in my area was an ex-WAMATA coach, used on the former North Hudson Boulevard's #1 local until around 1997.

It's easily at least that long since I last rode on one of these handsome coaches. Too bad i took this classic transits for granted, until almost at the very end...... John
Waynejay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always though that smaller rear window serving as an emergency exit on the later Flxible new looks was standard equipment. It was also an emergency exit on NYCTA/MABSTOA's '73 Flxibles (7000-7204, 7300-7361), '75 (7500-7659, 7700-7937) and the '77 buses (9000-9309).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: