BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's in a name?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timecruncher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: What's in a name? Reply with quote

Okay -- this was long overdue.

A fairly recent transit publication called Trip Planner, a quarterly publication for transit planners (and timecrunchers) of the world has a new Summer 2009 issue out, and there is a two-page spread on transit names.

Now, we all have our opinions of some of the names, acronyms, groaners and gross stupidity of the naming of some public transit agencies, so try not to grin.

The link will open the pages of the magazine from their online edition, and you must have Adobe Flash Player to make it work properly. When you open the link, scroll the pages at the bottom of the screen and click on the right arrow to pages 34-35.

There are a few eye-openers (Ben Franklin Transit up in Washington state is one), and some humorous notes in dialogue boxes. Even my beloved SORTA gets a jab... Anyway, enjoy!

http://issuu.com/tripplannermag/docs/trip_planner_summer_final

Heh. I especially like the 'CATS' and 'NOT CATS' section. Heehee! Razz

der timecruncher
Wanted to name TARC "Falls Area Rapid Transit." The acronym didn't work for our marketing people...
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timecruncher -

Juliet:
"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

Romeo and Juliet (II, ii, 1-2)
http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-quotes/what-s-name-that-which-we-call-rose

.................Vern.............
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool - my current 'hometown' system (Centro) made it into the 'Cleverly Descriptive' group.

Thanks for the link, Cliff - some of those other articles look interesting and I plan to read these.
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: What's in a name? Reply with quote

What's in a name? The potential for me to start cracking jokes about some of the names for one thing and the acronym F.A.R.T. is a perfect example of a transit system name with considerable joke potential. I even heard one for NFT that is best left unsaid. That is only one example.I am sure there are others I cannot resist having some fun with. Lol.
timecruncher wrote:
Okay -- this was long overdue.

A fairly recent transit publication called Trip Planner, a quarterly publication for transit planners (and timecrunchers) of the world has a new Summer 2009 issue out, and there is a two-page spread on transit names.

Now, we all have our opinions of some of the names, acronyms, groaners and gross stupidity of the naming of some public transit agencies, so try not to grin.

The link will open the pages of the magazine from their online edition, and you must have Adobe Flash Player to make it work properly. When you open the link, scroll the pages at the bottom of the screen and click on the right arrow to pages 34-35.

There are a few eye-openers (Ben Franklin Transit up in Washington state is one), and some humorous notes in dialogue boxes. Even my beloved SORTA gets a jab... Anyway, enjoy!

http://issuu.com/tripplannermag/docs/trip_planner_summer_final

Heh. I especially like the 'CATS' and 'NOT CATS' section. Heehee! Razz

der timecruncher
Wanted to name TARC "Falls Area Rapid Transit." The acronym didn't work for our marketing people...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Q53 Limited

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some cocky names. Like Cocky Transportation in Jackson Heights, NY or Little Richie (think about Little richard or Richie in Family Matters) in Ozone Park
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q53 Limited wrote:
Here's some cocky names. Like Cocky Transportation in Jackson Heights, NY or Little Richie (think about Little richard or Richie in Family Matters) in Ozone Park

To be fair, Little Richie is a company that operates school mini-vans, so its a cute name for youngsters in kindergarden, etc.
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: What's In a Name, some appropriate Examples Reply with quote

Here are some names of some long gone Western New York carriers: D&F Transit's name reflected the company's original mission to provide local transit service between the communities of Dunkirk and Fredonia,NY, for which the company derived its name. Another one is Lockport Bus Lines, which grew from a local service bus transit operation that replaced the last streetcars in Lockport to an interurban bus line that served Buffalo, Niagara Falls, Olcott,Barker, and Medina at its peak. Medina was dropped from the timetable in 1973, the company became part of NFT Metrobus in 1975. Still another is Grand Island Transit Corporation, which derived its name from the fact that its Buffalo-Niagara Falls route serviced the island community of Grand Island,NY enroute between Buffalo and Niagara Falls. Right up to the end Suburban GMC 'fishbowls" were the workhorses of that line, of which Grand Island Transit had six in all, four SDM4501s one SDM5302 and one S8M5304A, the latter two changed to automatic transmissions by NFT Metrobus. Unlike the other companies I have named here, Grand Island Transit is still in business, but trading under the name of GRAND TOURS. The buses are still painted green and white, but the company only does charters and tours now. No line service since 1981.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: