BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MaBSTOA Nostalgia ("Take 2")
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95

View previous topic :: View next topic  
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B.:

Thanks for the info.

Note all the open windows on that "Bullet" Fishbowl; OBVIOUSLY a WARM day!

Quick question:

How did the MTA "restructure" the former "Little Red Bus That Could" routes?

Where there re-routings, etc.?

Thanks....

"NYO"

BTW:

How did the "Em-Tee-Yay" feel about "AVENUE B" running in their "big time" territory?

"NYO"

["501"]

For starters, M8 and M9, once they were taken over, were assigned to " 'stoa's" Hudson depot (whilst the "Bombers" Avenue B had ordered inexplicably wound up in Brooklyn doing duty on "Tee-Yay" routes). Several pictures taken after 1981 or so show many of the 1974 " 'stoa" "Dangerfields" running M9, generally (don't know of any photos taken up or down Grand Street). That M8 only lasted until 1988, and that route number today is what until 1989 or so had been M13 8th Street Crosstown; M9 had perhaps the most radical route reworkings, especially after the '90's.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

As always, thanks for the input.

I cannot help but thinking what the roster of "The Little Red Bus That Could" might have been like, had they remained an independent as long as the now-defunct Queens companies did.

I can easily see them purchasing "Torpedoes"............

"NYO"

["M9"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can also see "AVENUE B" purchasing "slant back" RTS, instead of the "Borough Bombers" that were diverted to "stoa"...........

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Avenue B and East Broadway's fleet of Macks. As you can see by the attached roster Avenue B did indeed acquire second hand Macks from the TA. In fact, notice the number of second hand buses compared to the number of brand new buses they acquired through the years.

The information attached came from two Motor Coach Age issues

1ce.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  122.95 KB
 Viewed:  344 Time(s)

1ce.jpg

1cf.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  146.71 KB

1cf.jpg

1cg (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  195.29 KB

1cg (2).jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

THANK YOU for posting this great info! Wink

The nycsubway.org photos I have seen of the MACK suburbans reminded me of those rostered by ORANGE & BLACK into the 1960s.

That "AVENUE B" operated MACKS as long as they did is most interesting, as most other properties (with a few notable exceptions) retired theirs by the later 1960s.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share some more interesting historical bus information......... Very Happy

"NYO"

["425"]
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding was that the TA did not sell buses, except for scrapping, because it implied they still had useful life remaining.

Yet, I know that the TA sold both TDH-4510 and TDH-5101 to both Triboro Coach and Green Bu lines in 1968 as well as TDH-4507 in 1959-1961. As well as TDH-5106 to Lafayette and Greenville as well as others. As well as the Macks sold to Ave. B.

According to a posting made by our friend, Mr. Linsky, (and looking for it is like looking for a needle in a haystack since he made so many relevant postings!) the NY State PSC had records of all used buses that were sold off. The information included, seller, purchaser, price and reason, etc.

By word of mouth, I was told that the TA in 1958 or 1959 sold approximately, at least, 10 TDH-5101 to Havana, Cuba (he remembers the wide front door?!). According to the gentleman this was done in order to make room for the newly acquired TDH-5301 New Look fishbowls... The question here is WHY would the TA sell buses that were only 10 years old when they had TDH-4507 that were older and in worse shape! Still trying to confirm this story. Hoping to some day look at the PSC records.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the old "Joisey City" indies were always short on cash, I always wondered why they did not purchase any surplus "Tee-Yay" Old Looks, with the exception of LAFAYETTE & GREENVILLE.

Odd how only this Hudson County outfit purchased ex-"Tee-Yay" buses.

As the long-defunct WASHINGTON STREET LINES in Hoboken was forever purchasing second and third-hand castoffs, I am surprised that they did nor roster any "Noo Yawk" buses, with the exception of ex-GREEN LINE..........

"NYO"

["WASHINGTON STREET"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From "Green Bus" to Washington Street (Hoboken).............

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153478

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153640

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W,B.:

Just curious.....

I know you are 11 years my junior (dang lucky man!); I would guess you missed out (sadly) on the "Tee-Yay's" last "Pattons.

Do you recall the last "Shermans" at all? (early 70s)

Being born in January of 1957, Your's Truly can (despite being headed towards 70 and am now all gray now) thankfully recall (here in "Joisey") square-window "Shermans", assorted paired-window "Shermans" and "Pattons", ACF-BRILLS, WHITES, and even a number of prewar relics (these last were all gone prior to 1970)

Then again, if any of us can recall Fishbowls and "Dangerfields", we're none of us young, for sure......BUT, at least we can say we knew REAL buses, and not the rolling milk cartons and giant, mutated centipedes of today......Wink Rolling Eyes

['NYO"

["RIDE THE SURFACE WAY"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W,B.:

Just curious.....

I know you are 11 years my junior (dang lucky man!); I would guess you missed out (sadly) on the "Tee-Yay's" last "Pattons.

Do you recall the last "Shermans" at all? (early 70s)

Being born in January of 1957, Your's Truly can (despite being headed towards 70 and am now all gray now) thankfully recall (here in "Joisey") square-window "Shermans", assorted paired-window "Shermans" and "Pattons", ACF-BRILLS, WHITES, and even a number of prewar relics (these last were all gone prior to 1970)

Then again, if any of us can recall Fishbowls and "Dangerfields", we're none of us young, for sure......BUT, at least we can say we knew REAL buses, and not the rolling milk cartons and giant, mutated centipedes of today......Wink Rolling Eyes

['NYO"

["RIDE THE SURFACE WAY"]

I vaguely remember seeing a few two-tone green "Shermans" pass by in my younger years (I'm actually roughly nine years younger, but . . . ), and a few of the "suburban" types passing by the overpass heading towards the Lincoln Tunnel from the "Pea-Yay-Bee-Tee." I did, as you note, miss out on the "Pattons." Today's Wurlitzers and Slinkies, as you say, don't hold a candle to those evergreens.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

If the "Pattons" sounded TOUGH, I only wish you could have experienced the gutsy sounds emitted by WHITES and ACF-BRILLS (aka "Brill-boas)

The BRILLs indeed had a deep, bass growl that I can STILL hear in my mind today.

Closest you can get to hearing these sweet sounds is to watch 1934's "IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT"; the sounds you hear from an early-1930's GREYHOUND are uncannily like the growls of the ACF-BRILL suburbans Your's Truly knew in his much. much younger days.

Those I knew best were those operated by DE CAMP and INTER-CITY; they vanished by 1967, and I still miss smart-looking beasts today.

You would have especially enjoyed the old "indy" companies in Jersey City and Hoboken; STILL had some prewar coaches running, well into the 1960s!

FIRST "Dangerfields" I ever encountered were the NJDOT Flxibles that began appearing here in large numbers in the later 1970's.

They, too, have long since vanished.

It was a LOT of fun while it all lasted! Wink

"NYO"

["1 JOURNAL SQUARE"]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95
Page 95 of 95

Jump to: