BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MaBSTOA Nostalgia ("Take 2")
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94, 95  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Just curious.......

When the now-iconic "Are-Tee-Ess" (aka "Torpedoes") were making their final runs in "Noo Yawk" several years ago, were there more running on ex-"Tee-Yay" routes, or were there more operating on ex-"stoa" lines?

Which line boasted the very last "official" RTS run?

Appreciate info........

"NYO"

["Rapid Transit Series"]

There were a few, in their final months of active service, running on the M20 route in Manhattan, which ran from the lower end of the borough to Lincoln Center; as well as on the M42 42nd Street Crosstown. (I actually traveled on an M20 run on a "Torpedo" around March of '19.) Those were, for them by that point, about as "tony" as they would get. But it did seem Brooklyn was their main final place for operations.

The hubbub over where they were assigned in their last year contrasted wildly with zero attention over the last "Shermans' " consignment to Brooklyn pre-1973, likewise for the FACL/ST "Jetsons" largely confined to "da Bronx" through to their final retirement that year. As has been pointed out time and again.

Again, when the first "Torpedos" were put into service for both "Tee-Yay" and " 'stoa" in August of 1981, who knew back then their run would stretch nearly 38 years - exceeding the Fishbowls' and "Shermans' " day in the sun on our streets?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Appreciate the info....thanks! Wink

Yes, I well recall the controversy over the assignment of "old buses" to certain areas; indeed, this would have been a moot point 50-60 years ago.

Recall, also, the last "en masse" stomping grounds for the venerable "Shermans" was pretty much Brooklyn, by the early 1970s.

Most recent nycsubway.org photo showing a "Sherman" operating on a Manhattan route dates to 1972; I am sure, by that late date, only a handful were still running in Manhattan..........

"NYO"

["NYCTA"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most recent photo of a "Sherman" in Manhattan (Broadway & Park Row, 1972)......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154821

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

Note that #7075's* sign box is devoid of a roller curtain (a sure sign the end is nigh); another "Sherman" is just behind #7075, followed by a Fishbowl.

The "Tee-Yay"-era fellow here further dates this photo, taken over a half-century ago..........

*(BTW: What depot was #7075 then assigned to?)

["New York City Transit Authority"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most recent photo of a "Sherman" in Manhattan (Broadway & Park Row, 1972)......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154821

Note that #7075's* sign box is devoid of a roller curtain (a sure sign the end is nigh); another "Sherman" is just behind #7075, followed by a Fishbowl.

The "Tee-Yay"-era fellow here further dates this photo, taken over a half-century ago..........

*(BTW: What depot was #7075 then assigned to?)

["New York City Transit Authority"]

I think I saw another picture of 7075 from that same year treading grounds in Brooklyn; on the day this particular pic was taken, it may have been "on loan" to 126th Street. By '72 the only buses assigned there for service on routes like M15 - First & Second Avenues would have been all Fishbowls - from early "Jetsons" to the A/C batwinged "Bullets" - and nary a "Dangerfield" among that bunch. (By then, the "Tee-Yay" had the oldest buses in Manhattan outside of what Avenue B & East Broadway was running, though not as old as Brooklyn; " 'stoa's" earliest lot "treading the boards" in Manhattan were from the '63 order.)

The irony of 7075 in lower Manhattan that day / night was that when the 7000's first arrived, the lowest of that bunch were assigned to the "Tee-Yay's" Manhattan routes. I remember seeing one picture of a 7000 series bus, when new, running along 49th or 50th Street on what was then the "M-3" (later M27, now M50). When first assigned there, they were the first to have front roll signs refer to "M-15 First & Second Avenues." This, six years after those two avenues were converted to one-way traffic. (I remember seeing "Pattons," some of the "Bingham" variety, in lower Manhattan from the mid-'50's, still referring to "M-13 First Avenue" on their front roll signs despite the fact that by 1955, that number was reassigned to the Journal Building shuttle.)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

As always, greatly appreciate your taking the time to post historical bus info/stats.......thank you! Very Happy

Here is a photo I came across of #7075 operating on the "tony" M15 in 1972; here the bus was clearly not on a Brooklyn route! Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154822

If I am not mistaken, weren't the last "Pattons" running operating only on Brooklyn and SI routes, as they neared retirement in the late 1960's?

"NYO"

['New York City Transit Authority"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am not mistaken, weren't the last "Pattons" running operating only on Brooklyn and SI routes, as they neared retirement in the late 1960's?

1969-70, they would be as far as the "Tee-Yay's" lot was concerned (and in the 6000's, of which only 6259 survives today). The only ones of the later "Pattons" to run in Manhattan were those originally operated by Surface / ST and then operated by " 'stoa" through 1967; their "Pattons" (C-49-DT's renumbered 4900-4910 and 4962-4999 after 1963) would be retired once the A/C batwing "Bullet" Fishbowls first arrived in time for the snows of early '67. I don't think any of the "Tee-Yay's" Manhattan depots - the twins of 100th and 108th Streets pre-1962, and 126th post-'62 - housed a 1956 "Patton" (likewise C-49-DT) in any quantity, they certainly didn't house any 1958 9000-series "Shermans." (That such tough-as-bulldogs buses ran on "tony" Broadway and 42d Street through 1967, however, belies that reputation which "Dangerfields" would accrue.)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Appreciate the info.

After the very last "Pattons" (NHBL) in my general area vanished about 1967, the only ones that would be seen in the Hudson County-area were the second-hand ex-YONKERS TRANSIT "New Look" MACKS, purchased by the now long-defunct "BLUE & WHITE", whose oily, greasy, junk-strewn "bus museum" yard was located on Tonnelle Avenue in North Bergen (thankfully, Your's Truly took pics, back then!) Wink

These handsome"Pattons" I know where gone by at least 1976, or shortly thereafter.

The company also had two (ex-Yonkers) non-New Look "Pattons", quite decrepit, being used as storage sheds (one of the good fellows there even gave me a few roll sign sections as a parting gift!) Very Happy

The engine areas of these two old "Pattons" had been cut out, but the long-dated tout; "RIDE ON AIR" was still clearly visible below the rear windows.......

"NYO"

["SURE-IT'S A MACK!"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in 1975, we see " 'burban Sherman" #101 enjoying a brief respite at the "BLUE & WHITE's" Tonnelle Avenue yard in North Bergen.

Not only did the company roster second-hand "Patton" New Looks, but a number of suburban models (mostly "Shermans"); I know they rostered several ex-PSNJ and O&B buses, as well as the ex-Yonkers "Pattons"...........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153135

["COACH CHARTERED"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a handsome-looking ex-YONKERS TRANSIT New Look "Patton" on a "Noo Yawk" fan trip on a sunny day back in '73.

(Imagine if the "Tee-Yay"/FACL or SURFACE had purchased New Look "Pattons"!) Wink

Note the classic "97 JOURNAL SQUARE" reading on the roll sign; this once-familiar line had been a long-established INTER-CITY route, then running from JSQ to Paterson (" 'burban Shermans"/WHITE 798s and 1150s/ACF-BRILL "Rocky Brill-boa" C-44s) worked this line which ran by our old Union City apartment building, back in the 1960s...............

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153145

["THE BROWN BUS WITH THE ORANGE BAND"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....at least two New York cities once operated New Look "Pattons" (Yonkers and Buffalo)

AFAIK, no New Jersey cities ever operated this type of "Patton".

Again, it would have interesting, to say the least, if the "Tee-Yay" had ordered a group of these unique buses (also, the old Queens independent companies)

Here in "Joisey", I do recall clearly many (out-of-the-box) "Pattons" back in the 1960s, but no New Look MACKS, until I came across the ex-YONKERS TRANSIT buses being operated by BLUE & WHITE in the mid-1970s..........

"NYO"

["97 PATERSON"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....at least two New York cities once operated New Look "Pattons" (Yonkers and Buffalo)

AFAIK, no New Jersey cities ever operated this type of "Patton".

Again, it would have interesting, to say the least, if the "Tee-Yay" had ordered a group of these unique buses (also, the old Queens independent companies)

Here in "Joisey", I do recall clearly many (out-of-the-box) "Pattons" back in the 1960s, but no New Look MACKS, until I came across the ex-YONKERS TRANSIT buses being operated by BLUE & WHITE in the mid-1970s..........

"NYO"

["97 PATERSON"]

'Course, by the time Mack came forth with their "New Look" re-dressing of their "Pattons," the "Tee-Yay" was "all in" with the "Jetson" Fishbowls of "Gee-Em." But it also begs the question: Why didn't Avenue B & East Broadway - a Mack loyalist to near the very end - order any of those New Look "Pattons"? You'd think that variant'd be a cinch for the company that, at the time (and up to 1980), ran the M-8 Grand Street and M-9 Avenue B lines.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Now THAT's an EXCELLENT question to ponder: WHY didn't "AVENUE B", indeed, a loyal and steadfast MACK operator, did not see fit to roster any of the New Look "Pattons"?

I had not thought about this until you brought it up just now.

None of the Hudson County "indies" I knew purchased new buses (Fishbowls) until about 1966 or thereafter; none of their "Shermans" were all that new, and the "Pattons" and the WHITES (and assorted other antiques) were already "veterans".

By the time that the Hudson County independents started purchasing new buses (replacing the square-window "Shermans", "Pattons", WHITES, etc) MACK had already been out of the bus business for a number of years.

But, yes.....WHY didn't "AVENUE B" purchase any New Look "Pattons"? (or, for that matter, "Shermans")

Alas, we'll never know the reason why............Sad

"NYO"

["BERGEN AVE. LOCAL"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another "AVENUE B" mystery............

Recall in the mid-70s, the company purchased several "Shermans" that had formerly run in the Chicago area.

Mystery?

Why didn't "AVENUE B" simply purchase "Shermans" from the "Tee-Yay" (or 'stoa) when they were being retired?

After all, these were "home" buses to begin with.

Too, being that "AVENUE B" was still a "Patton" stronghold through the 60s (and into the 70s), why weren't a few ex-"Tee-Yay" MACKS purchased?

Makes you think......

"NYO"

["M8 GRAND ST."]
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avenue B did not buy those "Shermans" from Chicago. They were leased from Hausman Bus Sales and they were ex-South Suburban Bus Lines from the Chicago area.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
Avenue B did not buy those "Shermans" from Chicago. They were leased from Hausman Bus Sales and they were ex-South Suburban Bus Lines from the Chicago area.

Thanks for the correction: I (for whatever reason) get this one wrong. Razz

I DID know that these buses had once operated in the Chicago area; again, I am wondering why "AVENUE B" did not purchase any Old Looks or MACKS from the "Tee-Yay" when they were being disposed of...........

"NYO"

["AVENUE B & EAST BROADWAY"]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94, 95  Next
Page 93 of 95

Jump to: