BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MCI J4500AE (Anniversary Edition)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: MCI J4500AE (Anniversary Edition) Reply with quote

From the July 2008 edition of FYI by MCI:

Some birthday gifts were meant to share. This year marks MCI's 75th year of coach-building excellence, and we've put together a very special J4500 to celebrate the achievement.

Driven by a Cummins engine and a choice of transmissions, the J4500 Anniversary Edition will make a special impression even at the curb with its highly polished custom Designworks USA-styled aluminum wheels, shiny chrome mirrors with built-in turn signals and conversion-style exterior lighting. "It's that little extra bit of bling," says Brent Danielson, manager of business development for MCI.

UMA sneak peak

MCI displayed a version of the coach at the UMA Expo in San Francisco earlier this year. Those who climbed aboard the sparkling blue coach likely noticed some of the J4500 AE's exclusive interior features, including seating with larger headrests, leather piping and a more stylish profile — offered exclusively to MCI as Amaya PG to customers who buy the J4500 AE.

The Anniversary Edition will additionally include all of MCI's model changes for 2009 as well as a host of special features that are either included options or unique to the edition. Model-year changes include a new wide-ride suspension and handling package that includes ABS with Electronic Stability Control System plus Automatic Traction Control and Roll Stability Control. The J4500 Anniversary Edition will, like all 2009 J4500s, have Reverse Sensing for safer backing up, and SmartWave tire-pressure monitoring.

Bring on the wall of sound

The J4500 AE will have a high-end entertainment package usually seen — and heard — only on the E4500. The Blaupunkt system includes 15 tweeters and dual subwoofers for high-end sound as well as an in-dash DVD player, six video monitors and audio inputs that include an iPod dock. There are 110-volt outlets in approximately every third row, and the coach is equipped for wireless Internet service. The coach is also configured to accept satellite television, satellite radio and other options.

Other interior touches include high-end LED aisle lighting with the soft-start and –fade feature. There's a new steering wheel for drivers as well as an upgraded instrumentation panel usually available only on the E4500.

Selling fast

MCI has already started taking orders on the J4500 Anniversary Edition, which will have a limited production run. It's already selling well, according to Danielson, appealing both to those customers who like the idea of owning a commemorative-edition coach as well as to those who simply like its specs. To learn more about MCI's Anniversary Edition J4500, contact your sales representative today.
The Port of Authority

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they'll have one on display at the APTA Expo in October.
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: J4500 An Improvement over the G4500 Reply with quote

Having ridden on several of these buses, both for Lakefront Lines, New York Trailways, and Adirondack Trailways, this model bus seems to be alright. From what I have seen while riding one, this bus stays together a lot better than that rolling piece of s--t that Greyhound runs which ought to be red flagged at a DOT roadside check everywhere Greyhound runs. I think they are overdoing the computer jazz a bit. Besides, how the heck is a mechanic supposed to work on one when he needs to? Other than that, it is a fine bus. Here is the replacement for Greyhound's disgraceful G model.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: J4500 An Improvement over the G4500 Reply with quote

Dieseljim wrote:
Besides, how the heck is a mechanic supposed to work on one when he needs to?

At our Mahwah garage, our mechanics go for training every so often. But even with our new D4500s they occasionally come up with a real doozy of a problem.

That's when they call in Atlantic/Detroit Deisel. They're the big dogs
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought for those of us (including myself) that didn't know what an MCI J4500 looked like, I'd research it and bring you a picture.

BTW; I'm still a D4500 admirer!

Anyway; Happy 50th. MCI.

Courtesy of Wikipedia.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, that's the Rennaisaunce (I could never spell that LOL!!) They have some goodies you'd never imagine a bus to have. Try Electric sunshades! I had one of them on a charter. The electric sunshades really did make a huge difference becuase the shades are so high above the driver you'd have to stand up on your seat to reach them.

Oh! that's a nice machine!
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: J4500AE Reply with quote

Any chance any of these new buses will find their way into regular line work or are they intended for charters and tour service only?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D. J.,

Not knowing the price structure on these buses, I would have to say that with the list of goodies that come with the J4500's they would have to exceed the more generic D series by thousands of dollars, and as long as MCI continues to manufacture D's they will be the choice of transit operators.

The J's look like great candidates for private use such as with 'rappers' where money is no object!

Here in L. A. we see these special jobs all the time (usually Van Hools or Prevosts) and each is more ostentatious then the next!

I don't know how far into customizing MCI will go but it's safe to say that they might do well in that area.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Central NJ, both Academy Express and Coach USA's local subsidiary (Suburban Transit) occasionally run J4500's in express service to PABT.
I have seen them in service at the Park & Ride Lot on US 130 at Forsgate Drive in South Brunswick NJ, although both carriers normally assign D units to this route, some of which are vintage 102DL3's that clearly have seen a lot of service.
I have a "personal" CUSA D unit that I see fairly regularly in the area (no, I don't own it, and at today's prices I'm glad I don't have to fuel it).
I'm referring to Coach USA 37033, which is a veteran MCI 102DL3.
My employer sometimes charters motorcoaches from Coach USA's Suburban Transit operation (located on NJ 27 in New Brunswick NJ).
I've been a passenger aboard good old 37033 on 2 occasions, and she is a nice, smooth runner, even in dense Midtown traffic.
Every time I see her working a NYC express run, I smile to myself; it's not unlike seeing a neighbor or friend at a distance.
Long may she glide up the NJ Tpke. and through the Lincoln Tunnel XBL!
shortlineMCI

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Here in Central NJ, both Academy Express and Coach USA's local subsidiary (Suburban Transit) occasionally run J4500's in express service to PABT.
I have seen them in service at the Park & Ride Lot on US 130 at Forsgate Drive in South Brunswick NJ, although both carriers normally assign D units to this route, some of which are vintage 102DL3's that clearly have seen a lot of service.
I have a "personal" CUSA D unit that I see fairly regularly in the area (no, I don't own it, and at today's prices I'm glad I don't have to fuel it).
I'm referring to Coach USA 37033, which is a veteran MCI 102DL3.
My employer sometimes charters motorcoaches from Coach USA's Suburban Transit operation (located on NJ 27 in New Brunswick NJ).
I've been a passenger aboard good old 37033 on 2 occasions, and she is a nice, smooth runner, even in dense Midtown traffic.
Every time I see her working a NYC express run, I smile to myself; it's not unlike seeing a neighbor or friend at a distance.
Long may she glide up the NJ Tpke. and through the Lincoln Tunnel XBL!

Hey Q..When I see 37033, I will tip my hat and give a nod. It sounds like it really, really deserves it.

DJ..Community Coach located at RT 17 South bound in Paramus (another Coach USA Subsidiary) has a whole brand new inventory of the Js and Ds. Community Caoch does handle commuter runs with the trusty D4500 (setup as transit D4500s with no lav, called PA buses) but charters are their specialty running very fancy Js. Among the electric sunvisors, try liquid cystal display flatscreen monitors. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: