BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The RAREST toy "SCENICRUISERS" of all------
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(SEE PREVIOUS POSTS/LINKS) Here is yet another beautiful tin SCENICRUISER from about 1960; it was available in both friction and battery-operated versions (mine is friction); VERY handsome old toy 'hound, for certain! Wink

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/tin-friction-1950s-60s-greyhound-1878753949
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the HUGE (2' long!) battery operated "GREYHOUND 'BEEP-BEEP' BUS" (Cragstan) early 1960s (4104!) Wink

I have two of these big beautiful "hounds" in my collection, along with the school bus version; these are HEFTY (and sharp!) buses...... Very Happy

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/729231364639623240/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a nice little tin litho 'hound, obviously inspired by the iconic 4106 (note that the box has a SCENICRUISER on the lid!) Shocked

The earliest version of this bus featured open windshields and rubber tires (seen here; also note gold stripe); the later ones had a solid windshield (with a driver at the wheel) and solid plastic wheels (I have both versions; a TRAILWAYS version was also then available)

I can also remember when these neat buses were sold without a box (especially in a "5-and-10")-----------

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/746119863236709545/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we have yet another "fantasy" SCENICRUISER, circa-1961; this particular toy has "TRAVEL USA" lithography on the roof (quite a few tin "hounds" were so adorned, back in those days.....I have several in my collection); the one Your's Truly has had since his long-ago boyhood does not feature this rooftop lithography-------------

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/537335799283452154/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the 1950s and 1960s, SCENICRUISERS (as well as other GREYHOUND buses) were not only replicated in toy form.

There were also SCENICRUISER salt-and-pepper shakers (those I have are ceramic; the 4104's, w/rubber tires, are metal)

There were also large souvenier postcards, luggage tags, ash trays, candy dishes etc, all paying homage to the sleek and iconic SCENICRUISER.

There were also candy boxes and ceramic house planters; the SCENICRUISER also adorned POST HOUSE placemats and pennants!

And, of course, there were the tin toy friction SCENICRUISERS, purchased at stations and Post Houses from coast-to-coast, with lithographed pictures of area landmarks on the roofs-------ahhh, yes indeed, those were the days......Very Happy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first toy GREYHOUNDS...............

These began appearing in the early 1930's, in sheet metal, tin, and cast-iron.

Later in the decade, BUDDY-L began offering some really nice-looking (mechanical) 743s (pretty hefty toys, at that!), some of which even had battery-powered headlights.

By the 1940's, large cast-iron SILVERSIDES began hitting the market; by the early 1950s, small plastic "5-and-10"-type GREYHOUNDS were becoming commonplace (some of these were wind-up toys)

There were, of course, small tin wind-ups as well...............

"NYO"

["SECOND SECTION"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another aspect to toy SCENICRUISER collecting are looking for those tin lithos that were sold as souveniers at Post Houses and terminals in the 1950's and 1960s; these had lithography on the roof that illustrated the local points of interest and landmarks (these are getting more difficult to find nowadays)

I have several in my collection (by the 1960s, all two-axle 'cruisers; however, earlier examples had three axles)

I STILL have the one Mom purchased for me at the old midtown GREYHOUND terminal, over 60 years ago; on the roof are depictions of :

STATUE OF LIBERTY

EMPIRE STATE BUILDING

NY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT

ROCKEFELLER CENTER

UNITED NATIONS

Ahhhh, the memories these wonderful old toy buses bring back!Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting point...........

When the SCENICRUISER was still "the new kid on the block", the first toy replicas were, not surprisingly, made of lithographed tin and were made in Japan.

These buses were friction powered, however, it was not long before various types of battery buses began to appear.

The largest featured the soon-to-be-familiar "bump-and-go-mystery-action"; others were operated by a hand-held control unit, attached to the bus by a flexible cable.

The smallest 1950s battery-powered SCENICRUISERS (two axle) could only go forward and reverse; however, MARX did, in fact, make one small battery-operated SCENICRUISER that had a single grooved wheel in the front (under the body) and this bus ran along following a plastic cable, that could be changed into different configurations (I only have one of these buses; these are quite rare, nowadays, and date to about 1960)............

"NYO"

["SECOND SECTION"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRULY RARE............

Long ago, in "BUS WORLD" magazine, there was mention of two wooden GREYHOUND kits that were manufactured back in the late 1940s/1950's; the first kit offered was a "SILVERSIDES", while, in the mid-50s, the other kit was a "SCENICRUISER" (I imagine these were "craftsmen"-type kits which required much patience to build)

I've never seen any photos of the kits, nor have I ever seen any of the finished product.

I would imagine very, very few survive today.

In the 1960s, I well recall the small plastic (snap together) "SCENICRUISER" kit offered by LINDBERGH, as part of their "Mini Lindys" series (I still have mine!) Wink

"NYO"

["GO GREYHOUND!"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further............

The aforementioned wooden GREYHOUND bus kits were manufactured by "MACO MODEL COMPANY" of Los Angeles.

The "SILVERSIDES" kit was released sometime around 1947; the "SCENICRUISER" kit was released about 1955/1956.

These ultra-rare kits retailed for about $5.00 when new.

Interestingly, a city-type bus kit was also offered by this long-forgotten company......

"NYO"

["EXPRESS"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though the following "miniatures" qualify as either a "toy" or a "model", I must include these interesting items, in talking about "SCENICRUISER" collectibles.

These were salt-and-pepper shakers, once sold at the gift counters at Post Houses, back in the 1950s and 1960s.

I have two sets in my collection; one is a pair of "free-lance" SCENICRUISERS (these are ceramic), while the other set are made of metal, and clearly represent 4104s.

Interestingly, the latter also feature rolling rubber wheels.........Wink

"NYO"

["SCENICRUISER SERVICE"]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> The Bus Modeler All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: