BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!
 
 BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What price nostalgia? (nostalgia holiday trains)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
W.B. Fishbowl



Age: 57
Joined: 02 Oct 2014
Posts: 2317
Location: New York, New York, USA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
On SubChat I was greatly pleased (and surprised!) to see a photo of one of the hulking BSS "Rocketeer" cars posted along with a poster thinking of one of these Art-Deco beasts running beneath CPW (the "Rocketeers" were TOUGH characters-for sure); think of a train of these beefy beasts rocketing along (pun intended!!) on the "Eye-En-Dee" on an express dash along CPW------WHAT A SHOW!! Shocked Wink "NYO"

40 years ago, maybe (after all, BSS was built to "Eye-En-Dee" standards). Today, with the disreputable lot ruining everything for everybody, not so much. But one can dream, can't they?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee



Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 21809
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WB: Agreed 100% (strange also-is that Philly does nor roster any historic trains for railfan specials or "Holiday" runs); there are-of course-thankfully-the PCC II's for the streetcar buffs-but no (operable) "Bullets" or "Straffords"(ex-P&W) on SEPTA rails; likewise no restored historic Frankford El rolling stock (all prewar Frankford El rolling stock was long ago scrapped) Crying or Very sad Likewise-Boston does not roster any historic (and operable) rapid transit cars------at least the "See-Tee-Yay" DOES roster (and-once in awhile-) operates historic "L" rolling stock out in "Shik-aga"--------"NYO"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
W.B. Fishbowl



Age: 57
Joined: 02 Oct 2014
Posts: 2317
Location: New York, New York, USA

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
WB: Agreed 100% (strange also-is that Philly does nor roster any historic trains for railfan specials or "Holiday" runs); there are-of course-thankfully-the PCC II's for the streetcar buffs-but no (operable) "Bullets" or "Straffords"(ex-P&W) on SEPTA rails; likewise no restored historic Frankford El rolling stock (all prewar Frankford El rolling stock was long ago scrapped) Crying or Very sad Likewise-Boston does not roster any historic (and operable) rapid transit cars------at least the "See-Tee-Yay" DOES roster (and-once in awhile-) operates historic "L" rolling stock out in "Shik-aga"--------"NYO"

Wonder if "Shik-aga" now has the same problem with hooliganism viz old trains we're now witnessing in "Noo Yawk." Especially given who's now Mayor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee



Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 21809
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WB: Good question------I know that riding the "L" (and "See-Tee-Yay" in general) nowadays-sadly-is atkin to the current insane situation in "Noo Yawk"; I know that SEPTA has really gotten particularly bad these past few years-particularly the subways and the Frankford El Sad I know that "See-Tee-Yay's" historic rapid transit rolling stock is not as plentiful as here in "Noo Yawk"-------and-it would not surprise Your's Truly to learn that the actual running of the historic fleet is far below what it once was; as you and I both know-the heyday of ERA and NRHS fan trips are now long gone Sad ----------I know the "See-Tee-Yay" ran a brilliantly-lighted "Holiday Train" through the Loop (and on other lines) but I do not know if this special train still is in operation during the holidays-------society has totally changed-----and certainly NOT for the better---------- Sad "NYO"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee



Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 21809
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"See-Tee-Yay" holiday train (2023): Just did a fast online search-the "Holiday Train" tradition started 32 years ago; this train is unique in that the fully-decorated-glittering cars-stop at all regular stations to pick up/discharge passengers (current rolling stock is used); in the consist are flats which are also likewise decorated with Santa-reindeer-sleigh aboard; there are 'Holiday" bus counterparts as well (the buses are the current insipid caterpillars and shoe boxes-nothing historic-but at least they look quite glittering at night); related articles and also photos online Wink "NYO"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee



Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 21809
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEPTA (at last report) still operates decorated buses during the holidays; back in the heyday of streetcars-quite a few cities had brightly-decorated streetcars which were often sponsored by the big downtown stores during the holidays (PSNJ once operated such cars in Newark)-------regarding non-holiday rapid transit fantrips-recall also that the historic rolling stock in both "Noo Yawk" and "Shik-aga" are (regarding certain cars) a century old (or close to it)-new parts for ailing elderly rolling stock can also be an issue (the prewar "Eye-Are-Tee" cars date back to 1917-106 years ago!)------"NYO" *at nycsubway org there is a 2004 photo (photo 42027) of the lone extant 1938 "WF" car at the CIY-decorated for the holidays; pretty sure that this was the only "Noo Yawk" rapid transit car decorated for the holidays (unless retired "school cars" were also decorated)------------
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee



Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 21809
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been hearing that this could be the last year for the "Holiday Nostalgia Trains"(sadly-not surprising) Crying or Very sad Look at how long it has been now since those proud and historic buses ran for the holidays Sad With the passing of each year-there are less and less "historically skilled" guys to take care of these old buses and-that-in itself-is sobering; I'd HATE to see those historic buses trashed by hell-bent idiots if they were to start running again (sure as heck hope none are scrapped) Sad With "people" now so "off the wall" and hell-bent------Your's Truly does not think that the historic subway and El cars displayed at Court Street are now totally and truly safe-----------it's beyond sad------ Sad "NYO" what Your's Truly has been reading online during the past few days-it could well be that the historic subway car fleet won't be running in future years- especially hat the highly-skilled fellows who know HOW to keep this historic trains in good running condition are rapidly passing on to that big subway yard in the sky------- Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
W.B. Fishbowl



Age: 57
Joined: 02 Oct 2014
Posts: 2317
Location: New York, New York, USA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Been hearing that this could be the last year for the "Holiday Nostalgia Trains"(sadly-not surprising) Crying or Very sad Look at how long it has been now since those proud and historic buses ran for the holidays Sad With the passing of each year-there are less and less "historically skilled" guys to take care of these old buses and-that-in itself-is sobering; I'd HATE to see those historic buses trashed by hell-bent idiots if they were to start running again (sure as heck hope none are scrapped) Sad With "people" now so "off the wall" and hell-bent------Your's Truly does not think that the historic subway and El cars displayed at Court Street are now totally and truly safe-----------it's beyond sad------ Sad "NYO" what Your's Truly has been reading online during the past few days-it could well be that the historic subway car fleet won't be running in future years- especially hat the highly-skilled fellows who know HOW to keep this historic trains in good running condition are rapidly passing on to that big subway yard in the sky------- Sad

Sad but true . . . I've had much more reverence for the old cars than today's lot of pathetic excuses for human beings. Would not surprise me if this year were to be the end of the line for these runs.

It was from repeated visits to the Transit Museum in my younger days that I was able to start accumulating the vast knowledge I have (both of the cars, especially those of the '50's and '60's, and of the measurements of the tunnels) which have helped me keep grounded and NOT do as these bums have been doing. I remember when they had more examples of subway car trucks than they do now, plus the different types of third rails used in different sections of the system, both now and in the past. Last times I visited, they had only one - one of the "Arnine" trucks, with the third rails on each side consisting of the "Eye-Ar-Tee" 150 lb. rails (as on the Broadway-7th Avenue line) on one side and the "umbrella" type used in the "olden days" in the tunnels between Manhattan and Queens for the Flushing-Times Square route (which was a heavier version of the type third rail originally used on the "Aitch-and-Em" when it first opened in 1908) on the other. (In the past, they had on display one of the Rockwell trucks used when the R-46 first went into service, and the type truck as used from 'Are-Ten" to "Are-Forty-Too."

And again, things like what we're seeing justify why I ALWAYS, when doing something, do it alone, never travelling in a group.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee



Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 21809
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WB: Forty-odd years back-------Your's Truly went to "Court Street" nearly all Saturdays; I went with a good work buddy who though-not a transit buff-enjoyed seeing the old cars and signage he recall growing up in Brooklyn (later Queens); indeed-it didn't hurt that he was always interested in the knowledge on the subways that I shared!)-----------I owe a LOT to the older guys there-who enriched Your's Truly with a great deal of historical knowledge-regarding the "Tee-Yay" Wink First two books I bought on the "Noo Yawk" subways: "UNDER THE SIDEWALKS OF NEW YORK" (Cudahy) and "UPTOWN-DOWNTOWN" (Fischler) really enlightened this dedicated transit buff and I gleaned a great deal of historical info through these great books!) Very Happy ------- when I worked on "The Street" one elderly "runner" (who I later knew well) worked on the "Eye-are-Tee" back in the 30's/40's/50's (Engineering Dept); what a surprise when-one fine day-he presented Your's Truly with his old circular brass badge: "I R T CO- 9257-ENGINEERING DEPT"; WHAT A PRIZE! I display it proudly today! Wink----------I bought a LOT of old transit goodies at "Court Street" back then-happily lugging it all back to "Joisey" on the "Eye-Are-Tee" and ex-O&B/INTER-CITY Fishbowls out of the PABT! Very Happy Ahhh those were the good ol' days for sure! Wink (I also recall a HUGE detailed plaster replica of a postwar Old Look in "Bee-oh-Tee" colors in a glass case; also a BIG "cutaway" replica of a postwar B&QT trolley-bus; ironcally when I first started going down to "Court Street-the R-10's/14's/15's were STILL in operation-but NOT looking all sleek and pristine as they did on display!) Rolling Eyes "NYO"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
W.B. Fishbowl



Age: 57
Joined: 02 Oct 2014
Posts: 2317
Location: New York, New York, USA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
WB: Forty-odd years back-------Your's Truly went to "Court Street" nearly all Saturdays; I went with a good work buddy who though-not a transit buff-enjoyed seeing the old cars and signage he recall growing up in Brooklyn (later Queens); indeed-it didn't hurt that he was always interested in the knowledge on the subways that I shared!)-----------I owe a LOT to the older guys there-who enriched Your's Truly with a great deal of historical knowledge-regarding the "Tee-Yay" Wink First two books I bought on the "Noo Yawk" subways: "UNDER THE SIDEWALKS OF NEW YORK" (Cudahy) and "UPTOWN-DOWNTOWN" (Fischler) really enlightened this dedicated transit buff and I gleaned a great deal of historical info through these great books!) Very Happy ------- when I worked on "The Street" one elderly "runner" (who I later knew well) worked on the "Eye-are-Tee" back in the 30's/40's/50's (Engineering Dept); what a surprise when-one fine day-he presented Your's Truly with his old circular brass badge: "I R T CO- 9257-ENGINEERING DEPT"; WHAT A PRIZE! I display it proudly today! Wink----------I bought a LOT of old transit goodies at "Court Street" back then-happily lugging it all back to "Joisey" on the "Eye-Are-Tee" and ex-O&B/INTER-CITY Fishbowls out of the PABT! Very Happy Ahhh those were the good ol' days for sure! Wink (I also recall a HUGE detailed plaster replica of a postwar Old Look in "Bee-oh-Tee" colors in a glass case; also a BIG "cutaway" replica of a postwar B&QT trolley-bus; ironcally when I first started going down to "Court Street-the R-10's/14's/15's were STILL in operation-but NOT looking all sleek and pristine as they did on display!) Rolling Eyes "NYO"

Ah yeah. And a huge replica of the "Are-Eleven" in a glass case. Yep. Those were the days.

And I see you saw where else I lurk. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee



Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 21809
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WB: I TOTALLY forgot that HUGE R-11 replica; WOW!!! Shocked How I wished Your's Truly could add it to his transit collection! Wink------I recall how I used to inhale DEEPLY at Court Street------just get a STRONG whiff of rapid transit history! Wink Once (sadly) I had to pass up a "Jetson" Fishbowl running light-so I could lug a (side) "Arnine" roller box (w/curtain) back to "Joisey" (I always keep it set for "HH FULTON ST LOCAL"* (what else?) Rolling Eyes------- Was a LOT of great fun while it all lasted! Very Happy "NYO" *(Recall-in later years-when the "HH" designation was brought back for Rockaway trains?)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee



Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 21809
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recall also-back in they heyday of the "Eye-En-Dee's" Rockaway line (ex-LIRR) operations were quite interesting; crews were "swapped" at Euclid-the line was also thought of as the 'Tee-Yay's FOURTH subway operation; recall-too-that special tokens were once used on the Rockaway line------the first "official" train on this new line were the new R-16's; though the line OPENED in 1956-----it was still not FINISHED; the substations were still not fully on-line and-for awhile-trains operated at reduced speeds-consists were short-and there was a total ban on the "Are-Tens"; only prewar "Eye-En-Dee" units could run on the line until the substations were finished and finally totally on-line and "running full tilt"-----"NYO"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee



Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 21809
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashback to the IRT line that ran along ex-NYW&B (abandoned 1937) row up in "da Bronx"; though the rolling stock was ex-INTERBOROUGH (El cars)-the new line (opened in 1941)-was-interestingly enough-operated as part of the "Eye-En-Dee"; with "Eye-En-Dee" crews! Shocked And-it took until 1954 for the "Eye-En-Dee" ("D" line) to reach Coney Island-courtesy of a new track connection; now-at last-through "Eye-En-Dee" trains connected "da Bronx" with Coney (Bronxites no longer had to transfer at TSQ to connect with Coney-bound trains!)-------- Very Happy "NYO"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group