BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recalling the long-defunct intercity operators.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 78, 79, 80  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(See previous post)

Also of interest.........

https://www.alaska.org/transportation/bus-lines

["PREVOST"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

Thought you might enjoy the following (from my files)......... Wink

https://explorenorth.com/library/bus/greyhound-nwsc-alaska_highway.html

["ANCHORAGE"]

NYO--

Enjoy, is a huge understatement....what a fantastic account of the absolutely heroic achievement of all those involved in that tremendous endeavor!

Without a doubt, of all the great links you have shared here, this one is my favorite! Thank you ever so much!!

Clap
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

You are MOST welcome, my friend; I had the feeling that this was something that you would indeed appreciate! Wink

Just think of the blood, sweat, and tears it took to undertake such a massive endeavor.....and to see it through to completion!

The planners, the surveyors, the construction crews, and, of course, the GREYHOUND drivers themselves, all were true "iron men"; just think how difficult it was to build this great highway, in such a remote location, under harsh weather conditions, in an area far different than New Jersey or New York!

Think of the GREYHOUND drivers running through Alaska, piloting those massive behemoths, without the aid of power steering or cell phones!

"Iron men", indeed! Very Happy

"NYO"

["SILVERSIDES"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also worthy of thought..........

Think of how dedicated GREYHOUND drivers were during the War (those who were not called up for military service); these men, indeed, were of a proud, dedicated, stalwart breed.

One of my all-time wartime GREYHOUND ads has a soldier driving an armored vehicle on a battlefield at the top, and the same fellow, at the bottom of the ad, behind the wheel of a GREYHOUND.

"I DROVE A GREYHOUND.....I'LL DRIVE ONE AGAIN!"

The driver tells us:

".....before I was driving this 'tank-buster' for Uncle Sam, I was what they call a "Ten Year Man" with the Greyhound system. That means ten solid years behind the wheel of one of those big blue-and-white buses, without nicking a fender of scraping the paint........."

"......my buddy, a dispatcher at Greyhound, writes me that they're planning that they are planning the finest buses that the USA has ever seen-and he says he wants me back to drive one of 'em........."

Another true "Iron Man", for certain!

"NYO"

["HELP UNCLE SAM CONSERVE FUEL AND RUBBER-TRAVEL BY GREYHOUND!"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further on GREYHOUND during the War.......

In Robert Gabrick's excellent "TRAVELING WITH GREYHOUND: ON THE ROAD FOR 100 YEARS" a number of wartime GREYHOUND magazines "THE HIGHWAY TRAVELER"(hmmmmm....this name DOES sound a bit familiar!) have their covers depicted, carrying us back to the pride and patriotism so powerful during the War years.

One cover, from 1942, depicts a proud and stalwart Air Force man, standing beside a bomber (my late uncle flew B-24's, and was also a decorated War hero!)

Another cover (June-July 1945) has the raising of the American Flag on Iwo Jima, in full color (you cannot help but to FEEL the pride and the courage, looking at this iconic, powerful image!)

During the War, GREYHOUND'S ad men were busy turning out ads that truly spoke to America's "Home Front"; GREYHOUND even published maps entitled:

"DEFENSE MAP OF AMERICA"; one had a Navy man (with a ship in the background) on the cover, and another with an Army man (and his tank) gracing the cover.

During the War, especially ad-wise, the sleek new "SILVERSIDES" was, indeed, an American icon in its own right.......

"NYO"

['GREYHOUND'S AMAZING AMERICA"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Did a little research and came across this outstanding page on GREYHOUND during the War (a few of the ads I mentioned are also here; GREAT bus photos!) Wink

"NYO"

www.americainwwii.com/galleries/greyhound-on-the-road-through-wwii-and-beyond/

[" 'V' FOR VICTORY"!"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I was also VERY fortunate indeed to come across this OUTSTANDING gallery of rare WW2-era GREYHOUND photos; VERY candid photos of buses, stations, drivers, passengers, etc!

https://www.bygonely.com/greyhound-buses/

None of these photos are at all familiar to me; these wonderful old(RARE!) photos truly take you back to the GREYHOUND of WW2 (be sure to note the soldier using a luggage rack as a makeshift "upper berth", the "laid back" drivers in-between runs, porters tossing the luggage to one another with ease, and, of course, the buses themselves!)

Enjoy! Wink

"NYO"

{"SECOND SECTION"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Greatest Generation", as NBC's Tom Brokaw dubbed them, indeed!

BTW, that is a great shot of the inside of the GX-1, "Highway Traveler" in one of those links. What an oddball seating arrangement in that double-decker. Totally impractical, but interesting. That ceiling must require some 'crouching' for most...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Yes, I indeed noticed that interior photo of the GX-1; somehow, with that low headroom, I do not think this coach would have made for a good NBA "team bus"! Shocked

One can only imagine how overworked (and dedicated!) the GREYHOUND mechanics were, during the War, even with multiple shifts in place, not to mention getting this sprawling bus system to work like a fine Swiss watch, with such a shortage of spare parts and tires.

Just imagine how busy the GREYHOUND stations were in those War days, particularly those in the cities; like the rail hubs, they, indeed, never slept.

The "SILVERSIDES", during the War, truly became the "flagship" of the fleet, just as the iconic "SCENICRUISER" would be, during the 1950's.

While on the "SILVERSIDES", it is interesting to note that, while it was primarily a bus greatly associated with "GREYHOUND", other companies also rostered them.

For example, "BURLINGTON TRAILWAYS" and "MK&O" also operated these buses, and, at the time, were among the few non-GREYHOUND companies to be able to purchase them.............

"NYO"

["ST. LOUIS"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In retrospect..........

Over the course of several decades, GREYHOUND (pre-MCI) boasted three "flagship" buses:

SILVERSIDES

SCENICRUISER

Though both the 4104 and 4106s were, indeed, solid, reliable workhorses, they never seemed to gain the "icon" status achieved by the three aforementioned buses.

"Bit players", too, were buses like the FLXIBLE "Clippers" and the AEROCOACHES; ditto, the "Buffalo" (PD-4107s)

Beginning in the later 60's, it was obvious that the big, tough, no-nonsense MCI became the new "flagship"of the fleet........

"NYO"

["KEY WEST"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Bit players" in the GREYHOUND fleet.......

The suburban model buses which GREYHOUND employed in commuter services in certain areas were indeed buses that one would not generally associate with the GREYHOUND transcontinental empire, in the 50's and 60's.

These buses were Old Looks, MACKS, and Fishbowls.

Of course, the greatest concentration of GREYHOUND suburban operations were in the SF Bay area (these lines were later sold to SamTrans)

EASTERN CANADIAN GREYHOUND LINES, until late 1963/early 1964, operated a single suburban line between London (Ontario) to St. Thomas.

Then there was CROWN COACH COMPANY (Joplin), which, at one time, operated an important long-distance route south to Kansas City.

Though the company was primarily a long-distance operation, it did operate some commuter service, serving the growing area south of Kansas City.

Initially, two Old Looks operated this line, purchased between 1953 and 1954; both were TDH-4509's.

The company was clearly affiliated with GREYHOUND, as the buses carried the "running dog" on their flanks........

"NYO"

["KANSAS CITY-HARRISONVILLE"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Trailways carrier's also had suburban type buses in their fleets for local runs. Capitol Trailways of Pennsylvania (Capitol Bus Col.), had some used on commuter trips out of Harrisburg, Carolina Trailways (Carolina Coach Co.), had them on its Norfolk-Virginia Beach shuttle, even Continental Trailways components, Queen City Coach Co. used them on its Fayetteville-Fort Bragg shuttle, and I believe Continental Dixie Lines even used them on commuter trips out of Dallas, and pretty sure there were several others around the country.

I recall one of Capitol's suburban fishbowl's coming into the PABT at least once on the "Alphabet Route" pool with Public Service from Harriburg, Reading, and Allentown.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Thanks for this info.......MOST interesting Wink

I have in my collection a CORGI Old Look TRAILWAYS suburban (TDH/TDM), with destination sign reading:

"NORFOLK VIA BLVD."

I also have a number of vintage tin litho toy TRAILWAYS Fishbowls in my collection........Very Happy

"NYO"

["EXPRESS"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the intercity outfits (regardless of size) began to obtain newer buses by the 1960s I would think that the oldest buses in the fleet would be relegated to non-"trunk line" routes-relegated these older coaches to routes less "prestigious" than what they had once operated on prior to these buses being sold/scrapped; I know on certain lines Flxibles/4101/4102/4103-types soldiered on for quite awhile through the 1960's-------------- "NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just obtained a great little book: "CHICAGO's LOST 'L's" (Sadowski); an EXCELLENT book featuring tons rare old photos; one photo really caught your's Truly's eye: this depicts a prewar PCC on the 63rd St line-with a GREYHOUND 4102/4103 alongside-which-oddly-enough------looking QUITE in need of a good washdown!) Shocked (photo looks to date to about 1953/1954)-----------"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 68 of 80

Jump to: