BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A “ Dangerfield” Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: A “ Dangerfield” Question Reply with quote

The first Flxibles (Dangerfields) in New York, in order of arrivals, were…

Triboro Coach, model, F2D6V-401-1 in 1964; 40’ long; 102” wide
NYCTA, model F2D6V-401 in 1964; 40’ long; 102” wide
Ave. B & East Broadway Transit, model FD6V-351-1 in 1965; 35’ long; 96” wide

The question is…

Did these buses have their engines mounted transversely (horizontally like the GMs) or were they mounted longitudinally (straight in)?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

That you are posing this question truly is "out-of-the-ordinary", so far as my opinion goes; I have found you to be a true (and QUITE dedicated) historian on New York bus history, in all of its many fascinating venues....that this is something you do not know indeed makes me scratch my head!

It would seem, then, that even die-hard, dedicated experts like yourself even get stumped, every so often! Rolling Eyes

So many bus enthusiasts/historians (myself included, I will admit) usually concentrate on the buses THEMSELVES, and give little or no thought to their power plants.

If anyone here can answer your question, I'm wagering that it will be our good (and highly knowledgeable) friend, W.B. Fishbowl...... Wink

"NYO"

["Manhattan And Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, that's one thing I never got into . . . but given the measurements in length and width, one does have to wonder how the engines of "Dangerfields" were mounted vs. Fishbowls, that's for sure. According to Wiki, however, by the time of the 2nd-gen set (1967-70), the engines on Flxies were transversely mounted a la Fishbowls (hence the "11" in their convoluted model numbering code, as in 111CC-D5-1; the first '1' signified Loudonville, OH). Whether this was true on all of them is the big unanswerable at this point.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
You know, that's one thing I never got into . . . but given the measurements in length and width, one does have to wonder how the engines of "Dangerfields" were mounted vs. Fishbowls, that's for sure. According to Wiki, however, by the time of the 2nd-gen set (1967-70), the engines on Flxies were transversely mounted a la Fishbowls (hence the "11" in their convoluted model numbering code, as in 111CC-D5-1; the first '1' signified Loudonville, OH). Whether this was true on all of them is the big unanswerable at this point.

W.B.:

Like yourself, I never got into the "engine aspect" of buses.

I DID know about different types of engines, transmissions, etc., regarding several bygone makes of buses, but, my knowledge on the subject is VERY superficial, at best.

For me, it was strictly either gas or diesel (or, possibly propane)..... Wink

Your comments do make sense, regarding "Dangerfield"power plants....

"NYO"

["FLXIBLE"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the government forced GM to sell their patented “angle drive” power plant and transmission combination, which gave them a huge sales advantage, to other bus manufacturers.
I believe at some point, Flxible took them up on that, and started using them. I am not sure of just when…
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
IIRC, the government forced GM to sell their patented “angle drive” power plant and transmission combination, which gave them a huge sales advantage, to other bus manufacturers.
I believe at some point, Flxible took them up on that, and started using them. I am not sure of just when…

I.I.N.M., by the mid-1960's.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: