BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recalling the long-defunct intercity operators.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 76, 77, 78  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Appreciate, as always, the additional info! Wink

Look again at that "ARROW TRAILWAYS" Fishbowl photo, and focus on the roller curtain; could this have been originally a DE CAMP bus, sold to "ARROW"?

I am only guessing here, but it is something I'm pondering.....

Speaking of TRAILWAYS operating commuter service, recall that, many eons ago, CONTINENTAL operated C-44 ACF-BRILLS (with rear exit doors) in suburban service out of Kansas City........

"NYO"

["CONTINENTAL"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1981, we see DE CAMP Fishbowl #415 (signed "CHARTER") after just passing underneath the Lincoln Tunnel helix.

Note, also, the interesting variety of (several) classic highway coaches outbound from New York; look VERY closely* to spot two 4104's!) Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153617

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

*(Also, look closely behind #415's windshield to spot the once oh-so-commonplace "crowd gate", once a standard fixture on all buses operating in NJ for decades)

["415"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was just getting into "A SOLDIER'S STORY"(from 1984) on dvd, and was VERY pleased (and surprised!) to see this ULTRA-RARE 1940's "PD" coach making an appearance (I have not seen one of these sleek and distinctive buses in MANY a YEAR, believe me!!!!) Shocked

Interesting comments on this page, as well as other photos. Very Happy

Note how the drumhead on the rear distinguishes buses of this type from the FLXIBLE Clippers.............

https://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_491036-GMC-PDA-3701-1946.html

(courtesy: imcdb.orgorg)

["SOUTHERN INTERSTATE LINES"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a rear view of this bus; note the similarities (and differences) between this bus and the FLXIBLE Clippers of that era.......

https://pics.imcdb.org/4691/SoldierStory8.jpg

(courtesy: imcdb.org)

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another view........

https://pics.imcdb.org/4691/SoldierStory9.jpg

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some related trivia......

A YELLOW COACH prototype, designated Model PD-3301, was completed in June, 1941.

It went into production as the PD/PG 3301.

There were 115 diesel versions built, and 49 with gasoline engines.

These buses were similar to the PD/PG-29 buses, with straight windshields; later models had slanted windshields.

GREYHOUND operated a number of 3301's.

A number of TRAILWAYS companies also operated the beefy, tough-looking PD/PG types.........

Source:

"YELLOW COACH BUSES" (William A. Luke)

["SECOND SECTION"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From "MOTOR COACH AGE":

".......in 1942, when additional Silversides were wanted, but could not be built due to wartime restrictions on certain materials, GREYHOUND bought 325 new Yellows of three types that were only built in that year....."

".......Greyhound purchased 95 PD-3301's, 179 similar (but longer) PDA-3701's, and 51 gasoline engined PGA-3701's. Southwestern got 20 PDA-3701's, and 7 PD-3301's..........."

"NYO"

["HOUSTON"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further from "MOTOR COACH AGE".......

".......aside from SOUTHWESTERN, only DIXIE GREYHOUND had PDA-4101's. GM introduced this model in 1948 and built 335 in all for 46 domestic and several foreign customers......"

"........GREYHOUND recommended numerous improvements that were incorporated into the PD-4103, which GREYHOUND bought in large quantities......"

["ST. LOUIS"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When looking at old photos/postcards, it is interesting to compare the rears of Flxible CLIPPERS and the YELLOW/GM PG/PD types of the early/mid-140's.

The most distinctive difference is that the Clippers do not have the rear drumhead that differentiated the YELLOW/GM coaches from those built by FLXIBLE.

Too, the rear of the Clippers featured curves that were more pronounced.

In speaking of drumheads, there is a 1950's photo in "GREYHOUND SCENICRUISER" (McNally/Rayman) of the GREYHOUND corporate coach (GC-13) that featured a drumhead/badge displaying the GREYHOUND running dog, mounted on the rear (imagine SCENICRUISERS all sporting ILLUMINATED drumheads?) Very Happy

Man, what a SIGHT at night!!!! Wink

"NYO"

["SPECIAL"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a nostalgic 1940's postcard showing the GREYHOUND station at Jackson, Tennessee.

This view also provides an interesting contrast of the rear ends of the Clippers and the PG/PD-types (a SILVERSIDES is also on hand)

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/514325219921469409/

["EXPRESS"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See following on former GREYHOUND station in Jackson (now a Freedom Trail landmark)...........

https://www.visitjackson.com/directory/former-greyhound-bus-station/

["GO GREYHOUND"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another vintage postcard (w/buses) of the historic Jackson station.........

https://www.cardcow.com/492960/jackson-tennesse-greyhound-bus-terminal/

["TRAVEL STRAIGHT THROUGH-GO GREYHOUND!"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
When looking at old photos/postcards, it is interesting to compare the rears of Flxible CLIPPERS and the YELLOW/GM PG/PD types of the early/mid-140's.

The most distinctive difference is that the Clippers do not have the rear drumhead that differentiated the YELLOW/GM coaches from those built by FLXIBLE.

Too, the rear of the Clippers featured curves that were more pronounced.

In speaking of drumheads, there is a 1950's photo in "GREYHOUND SCENICRUISER" (McNally/Rayman) of the GREYHOUND corporate coach (GC-13) that featured a drumhead/badge displaying the GREYHOUND running dog, mounted on the rear (imagine SCENICRUISERS all sporting ILLUMINATED drumheads?) Very Happy

Man, what a SIGHT at night!!!! Wink

"NYO"

["SPECIAL"]

NYO—
While not quite a traditional “drumhead”, you may recall that when Continental Trailways introduced their “new look” squared off generation of the Model 05 Eagle coaches in 1969, both “Silver” and “ Golden” versions, as well as the rarer, Model 07 (102” wide)….they sported a plastic panel with red backlit “CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS” letters, between the rear windows and the engine compartment door. Pretty classy. That lasted until the mid ‘70’s…
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Thanks for refreshing my memory; I had just about forgotten this! Rolling Eyes

I do recall, on a few occasions, many years ago, seeing those signs you mentioned lit at night; VERY classy, indeed!Very Happy

Recall, also, the illuminated "pup plates" that originally graced the noses of the SCENICRUISERS; man, I would have LOVED to have seen these lit at night! Very Happy

Surprised that none of the Japanese tin toy makers of the 50's and 60's never offered a toy SCENICRUISER with an illuminated "pup plate"! Question

If I am not mistaken, the Union Pacific's train connection buses (PDA-4101's) also had drumheads; in "THE BUS WORLD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BUSES" (Stauss), it says:"......the distinctive drumhead rear-end styling emulated the railroad observation cars of the time......."

I particularly liked when this type was "updated" with Old Look-style rears; from the rear, at a quick glance, you'd think you were seeing a TDH or TDM Old Look suburban!Very Happy

"NYO"

["ROAD OF THE STREAMLINERS"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

Thanks for refreshing my memory; I had just about forgotten this! Rolling Eyes

I do recall, on a few occasions, many years ago, seeing those signs you mentioned lit at night; VERY classy, indeed!Very Happy

Recall, also, the illuminated "pup plates" that originally graced the noses of the SCENICRUISERS; man, I would have LOVED to have seen these lit at night! Very Happy

Surprised that none of the Japanese tin toy makers of the 50's and 60's never offered a toy SCENICRUISER with an illuminated "pup plate"! Question

If I am not mistaken, the Union Pacific's train connection buses (PDA-4101's) also had drumheads; in "THE BUS WORLD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BUSES" (Stauss), it says:"......the distinctive drumhead rear-end styling emulated the railroad observation cars of the time......."

I particularly liked when this type was "updated" with Old Look-style rears; from the rear, at a quick glance, you'd think you were seeing a TDH or TDM Old Look suburban!Very Happy

"NYO"

["ROAD OF THE STREAMLINERS"]

I recall seeing those, from the dome lounge of the westbound City of Los Angeles, while paused at UP’s East Los Angeles suburban station, awaiting train passengers destined to other nearby locations, including Long Beach. IIRC, there were three of them for different routes. They would pickup from those same locations to feed the eastbound train, later in the day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 54, 55, 56 ... 76, 77, 78  Next
Page 55 of 78

Jump to: