BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MaBSTOA Nostalgia ("Take 2")
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 93, 94, 95  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I see that buses that didn't cut the mustard, from that particular entity, weren't just limited to the '80's "Borough Bombers," if what's been described about the "Oddballs' " saga in "Noo Yawk" is of any indication. Certainly the "Dangerfields" - despite the first decade's worth of rolling stock shunted to the "outer" boroughs - gave more yeoman service with some lasting into the early '90's.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

For some "odd" reason (sorry, couldn't resist that!) postwar TWINS just did not seem at all popular in the East.

Even the ultra-diverse Hudson County-area "indy" fleets I knew growing up did not have them, even though prewar TWINS were to be found, with a few of the "local" outfits.

PS certainly wasn't interested in them.

Only one "Joisey" company rostered postwar TWINS (AFAIK); this was SOMERSET ("The Blue Star Route").

These were suburban models ("FAGEOLINERS"); the company only operated eight of these buses (good-looking buses, BTW), designated Model FS-40.

The buses were among the very last built by TWIN (SOMERSET purchased these eight buses in 1952)

Most likely, all were gone when the first Fishbowls arrived; I know I have no recollection of them whatsoever.......

"NYO"

["NEWARK 141"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a chilly day in Brooklyn*, here; in this view, we have "Oddball" #1814 diligently on the job.....at least, for the time being.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156997

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["4 BAY RIDGE PKWY"]

*Note, too, the natty driver in full uniform, and the time-honored clotheslines on the right! Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"IN MIXED COMPANY" (W. 5th St. yard, 1955)........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156994

["BRIGHTON L'C'L"]
frankie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the heck is a dangerfield and why is it called that?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
What the heck is a dangerfield and why is it called that?

frankie:

A "Dangerfield" is the handle I bestowed upon the Flex New Looks awhile ago, given the little respect they received over the years in the "Tee-Yay" and "Em-tee-Yay" fleets; I also started the moniker "Panzier" for the Old Looks, being that they were, indeed, built like tanks.

It was almost as though the Flex New Looks were the "poor man's Fishbowl"' I've always loved these now-classic buses, for the record!

In our recent discussions, we've been using these "handles" on a regular basis..... Wink

"NYO"

BTW:

Have not seen you around in EONS; sure glad to see you back again! Very Happy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange how certain types of buses were more popular in some cities than in others.

"Oddball" postwar TWINS were, indeed, in the ultra-minority in the greater "Noo Yawk"-area; in Chicago, it was the total opposite.

Nearly 1000 propane-powered postwar TWINS were purchased about 1950.

By 1951, 500 more were purchased by the CTA, again, all propane-powered.

Interestingly, a number of postwar TWINS went overseas for service in the Netherlands, Turkey, and Swizerland; some were sold to companies in Brazil.......

"NYO"

["FAGEOLINER"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note this lineup of postwar TWINS (aka "Oddballs") and the large crowd in front of this church on Vanderbilt Avenue, circa-late 1940's/early 1950's.

Obviously these buses were all running some well-patronized church charter.

Also, note the streetcar rails and overhead wires.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156392

["BoT"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Note this lineup of postwar TWINS (aka "Oddballs") and the large crowd in front of this church on Vanderbilt Avenue, circa-late 1940's/early 1950's.

Obviously these buses were all running some well-patronized church charter.

Also, note the streetcar rails and overhead wires.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156392

["BoT"]

The type on 1564 looks similar to what was on many Surface Transportation rolling stock of the time.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:'

Perhaps the ODDEST of "Odballs" were the six TWIN COACH rail buses (Yup, you heard me right!) built for the MISSOURI PACIFIC LINES for commuter service out of Houston.

These unique vehicles carried large headlights on their roofs, diesel-type air horns, and pilots (cowcatchers) Shocked

These TWIN railbuses ran until 1961, when service ended.....

"NYO"

["GOOSE CREEK"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of railbuses built by bus builders.......

Into the 1960's, the NH operated railbuses built by MACK.

There were 10 units in all; these FCD railbuses were based on C50.

They were built between 1951 and 1954; interestingly, they also featured sliding windows like the "Bingham" MACKS........

https://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nh/nh0018u01.jpg

https://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nh/nh-rb12ggC.jpg

["NH"]
frankie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "Dangerfield" is the handle I bestowed upon the Flex New Looks awhile ago, given the little respect they received over the years in the "Tee-Yay" and "Em-tee-Yay" fleets; I also started the moniker "Panzier" for the Old Looks, being that they were, indeed, built like tanks.

"NYO"

I'm still around! Been doing more reading here than contributing and just enjoying the comments and pictures.

Dangerfield is a great moniker for these Flxibles. I like it. However not so sure of Panzier - actually spelled Panzer. These were German tanks used in WW2 and not a familiar name to most of us. Perhaps the old looks were built like "Shermans" which would be more appropriate and very American. Just my humble opinion.

Incidentally I was born and raised in Brooklyn, but have lived in the St. Louis are since 1969. Rode the Jolly Green Giants and Bingham Macks in my childhood days and love them to the end. Believe it or not, I never rode a "Dangerfield" in my life, both in NY and here in StL.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie:

Ahh, I DO like the "Sherman" moniker for the Old Looks! Wink

As I have often mentioned, here in "Joisey", Flex New Looks ("Dangerfields") did not appear until the mid-1970's, when a massive influx of NJDOT buses began entering service.

The last here vanished in the later 1990's, about the time NJT was taking delivery of the "new and improved" RTS.

I always liked the "Dangerfields"; like their "big brother", the iconic Fishbowl, it seemed as though they would be around forever; they seemed to be just about everywhere, back in the day.

Back in the early and-1960's, I remember seeing nothing but "Shermans" and MACKS ("The Tough Guys") at the St. George Ferry terminal; my first ride on a SI bus was aboard a "Tough Guy" (riding to South Beach), around 1962!

They even SOUNDED tough!!!!!

I still miss the New York "Dangerfields", but HATED that ultra-bland 'white dip" scheme they wore in their last years (the old "Tee-Yay" green was the BEST-looking scheme for both the Fishbowls and the "Dangerfields", IMHO!) Wink

Indeed, I may have gray hair, but, at least, I remember those long-ago days when BUSES were BUSES, and NOT giant milk cartons or slithering caterpillars! Shocked Mad Razz

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
However not so sure of Panzier - actually spelled Panzer. These were German tanks used in WW2 and not a familiar name to most of us. Perhaps the old looks were built like "Shermans" which would be more appropriate and very American. Just my humble opinion.

Wouldn't the "Old Looks" have been more like "Pershings" (another type of tank, a bit more indestructible than even the Shermans)? I'd've thought the Sherman analogy would've fit more with Mack, while the GM mainstays were more on the order of the Pershing tanks.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
frankie wrote:
However not so sure of Panzier - actually spelled Panzer. These were German tanks used in WW2 and not a familiar name to most of us. Perhaps the old looks were built like "Shermans" which would be more appropriate and very American. Just my humble opinion.

Wouldn't the "Old Looks" have been more like "Pershings" (another type of tank, a bit more indestructible than even the Shermans)? I'd've thought the Sherman analogy would've fit more with Mack, while the GM mainstays were more on the order of the Pershing tanks.

W.B.:

I think I would go for "Sherman" for the Old Looks, and "Pershings" for the MACKS.

Here in "Joisey", 60-odd years ago, ACF-BRILL C-44 subrbans were quite commonplace.

These big, tough, gutsy-sounding buses I long ago dubbed "Rocky BRILL-boa!" Wink

LOVE those classic bus "monkers"!!! Very Happy

"NYO"

["22 CALDWELL-JERSEY CITY"]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 93, 94, 95  Next
Page 70 of 95

Jump to: