BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MaBSTOA Nostalgia ("Take 2")
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 92, 93, 94  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
I also well recall the "Bison" which NJT "inherited" in their early years; PSNJ rostered them, as did DE CAMP, INTER-CITY, MANHATTAN LINES, and a number of other "area" carriers, back in the day.

Some of the old "Joisey" fallen flags" originally purchased "Bison" for charter services, but soon were using them on the longer commuter runes......

Begs the question of why the "Tee-Yay" didn't purchase any "Bison" for their express bus routes.

Perhaps one reason was, the TA did not have as long an express route as some of the suburban carriers did. Another was they did not use them for charter trips, as suburban carriers did. Also, although they shared much with the “fishbowl’s”, they did have many unique parts that the TA would have to stock. I also think the TA would not be charmed by the extra steps in the aisle. I am not sure if the “buff’s” offered bifold or powered entrance doors as an option. One other possible object may have been the taller height on some TA routes or garages. And finally, you have to consider the extra cost…especially for a taxpayer supported public transportation system…
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I have never seen a "Bison" equipped with "accordian doors" (so commonplace with transit buses); however, it DOES make for some INTERESTING mental images, for sure! Wink

I've read that, when DE CAMP purchased its first "Bisons" in 1968, it had been the first time since 1960 that DE CAMP had purchased "parlor coaches" (the last 4104's purchased were in 1960)

Though primarily used in charter work, the company also began using them on the longer commuter routes, especially the #77.

In fact, by 1974, roughly one-quarter of DE CAMP's fleet was made up of "parlor jobs"........

"NYO"

["77-NEW YORK"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Buffalo" nostalgia from the early 80's...... Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155359

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156429

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156439 *

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

*Look VERY closely, and see if you can spot two 4104's! Wink

["EXPRESS"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pic 156429 . . . one of the few examples of a GM Buffalo bus (singular; Bison if plural) with 4-piece rear windows (most were 3-piece).
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
Pic 156429 . . . one of the few examples of a GM Buffalo bus (singular; Bison if plural) with 4-piece rear windows (most were 3-piece).

W.B.:

I always found this interesting, myself (recall, in other discussions) how we often discussed the different rear-window treatment on the "Tee-Yay's" Fishbowls)

How and why most "Bison" had three-piece rear windows, while some had four-piece rear windows, was always a bit of a mystery for me.

Well, I guess the guys at GM knew what they were doing, and had their reasons..... Wink

"NYO"

["RIDE THE MANHATTAN LINES"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of rear window differences.....

I just consulted my copy of "WELCOME ABOARD THE GM NEW LOOK BUS" (McKane/Squiers), and, interestingly, could not find anything regarding the rear window variations.

This I always thought interesting with the "Dangerfields"; the older models featured large rear windows, whereas the later models (such as those purchased by the NJDOT in the mid-1970's) had a much smaller (oval) window.

Itt was easy to see the outline of the original large window opening; I am guessing this changeover to the smaller rear windows was due to the a/c unit now located just above the rear window.

I am guessing this was adding structural support for the a/c unit......

"NYO"

["NJDOT"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Dangerfield" rear window comparisons......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155305

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156087

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishbowl rear-window comparisons.....

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156061

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156049

traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

I imagine the smaller center sections would be cheaper to replace…
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Where the Buffalo roam"....... Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Buffalo_bus

["GENERAL MOTORS TRUCK AND COACH DIVISION"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

I imagine the smaller center sections would be cheaper to replace…

Bingo. Maintenance and repair shop personnel vastly preferred the 4-piece layout too, but for way different reasons than I.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
I also well recall the "Bison" which NJT "inherited" in their early years; PSNJ rostered them, as did DE CAMP, INTER-CITY, MANHATTAN LINES, and a number of other "area" carriers, back in the day.

Some of the old "Joisey" fallen flags" originally purchased "Bison" for charter services, but soon were using them on the longer commuter runes......

Begs the question of why the "Tee-Yay" didn't purchase any "Bison" for their express bus routes.

Perhaps one reason was, the TA did not have as long an express route as some of the suburban carriers did. Another was they did not use them for charter trips, as suburban carriers did. Also, although they shared much with the “fishbowl’s”, they did have many unique parts that the TA would have to stock. I also think the TA would not be charmed by the extra steps in the aisle. I am not sure if the “buff’s” offered bifold or powered entrance doors as an option. One other possible object may have been the taller height on some TA routes or garages. And finally, you have to consider the extra cost…especially for a taxpayer supported public transportation system…

traildriver:

Speaking of doors.......

Check out this DOMENICO Fishbowl equipped with a "sedan" door.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155292

I consulted my copy of "WELCOME ABOARD THE GM NEW LOOK BUS" and could find no photos or text mentioning Fishbowls being equipped with sedan-type doors.

I am now wondering idf the DOMENICO bus pictured might have been "customized" by the company (for whatever reason)

In the same vein, I have seen a few photos of suburban ACF-BRILL C-44's, that were built for the Atomic Energy Commission in Idaho, for transporting workers at the national Reactor Testing Station in Arco, a small community, the first to have all its power generated by nuclear energy.

These BRILLS were unique in that they had "sedan" doors, instead of the usual transit-type folding doors.

I am now wondering if any other company, besides DOMENICO, ever operated Fishbowls with "sedan" doors.

Interestingly, in 1949, the WORCESTER STREET RAILWAY (Mass) purchased eight FLXIBLE "Suburban Express" models.

These unique buses were basically "CLIPPERS", but were equipped with air-operated folding doors, as specified by the company.....

"NYO"

["FLXIBLE"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe we discussed this not too long ago, and someone posted a photo of a Suburban parked in Academy’s (former) Body-Rite shop in Secaucus with a sedan door.

As far as parlor coaches with powered doors…
I think (not sure) the ACF-Brills IC-41 and perhaps its predecessor had powered sedan doors.
The Eagle’s had two piece “plug” type doors.
The MC-6 Supercruiser had a powered sedan door.
The specially converted MC-5’s Greyhound sent to the Aramco oil fields in Saudi Arabia had two piece powered doors front and rear.

When MCI went after the commuter bus market later on, they started offering optional 2 piece plug doors, and eventually all makes of parlor coaches offered only powered doors, either sedan or 2 piece plug, but no more manual doors…
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Bisons operated by Liberty Lines…

1101-1106; 1108…P8M-4905A… manual transmission
1109…PD-4107… manual
1113-1118… P8M-4905A… manual
1120-1139… P8M-4905A… automatic transmission
1150-1159… Pd-4905… manual

The ones bought by NYCDOT had plug-type doors like the front doors of the RTS bus. The same with the New York Bus Service.

Last edited by MaBSTOA 15 on Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Once Fishbowls went out of production, traditional "accordian"-style dars vanished; how commonplace they were, back in the day, on all our transit and suburban models!

Oddly, enough, in my large collection of vintage toy GREYHOUND buses, I have one that is loosly based on an ACF-BRILL IC-41, but with simulated "accordion"-style doors! Shocked

(Japanese toy companies could ALWAYS be QUITE "fanciful" in their tin renditions of buses!) Wink

Too, quite a few tin single-level buses (again, somewhat based on the IC-41) that feature simulated doors that more resemble those used on the subway cars of that era.

Some smaller (prewar) intercity coaches that were equipped with transit-style "accordian" doors.

CAROLINA COACHES, in 1936, as an example, added four ACF Model H-9-P buses to their fleet.

These buses had, as noted, transit-style doors........

"NYO"

*(I have also seen a few photos of WHITE 798's in Australia, using [left hand] sedan doors)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 92, 93, 94  Next
Page 49 of 94

Jump to: