BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Staten Island Ferryboat to enter service/Ferry history
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of sidewheel ferries, the very last such boats built for the Staten Island run were the sIRT's "ROBERT GARRETT"and the 'ERASTUS WIMAN".

These were steel sidewheelers, highly superior to the older ferries.

The new ferries had inclined compound engines; these boats also boasted electric lighting, a first for SIRT boats.

Both boats were quite popular with their passengers and their officers.

When the City took over the Ferry in 1905, and introduced the modern, screw-driven "FIVE BOROUGHS"-class, both the "GARRETT" and the "WIMAN" were then used on other City-owned runs, to Brooklyn and Stapleton, before finally being sold for use elsewhere..........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well into the 1960's, two very unusual vehicular/passenger ferries operated in New Orleans.

These handsome and distinctive single-ended boats were most interesting indeed, in that they had catamaran hulls and center paddlewheels.

With their distinctive feathered stacks and ornate pilothouses, the "EDWIN N. BISSO" and "LEO P. BISSO" were indeed reminders of the long-gone old riverboat days.

Autos boarded on the main deck, and then had to turn around at the bow, to be again facing the bow for unloading (certainly NOT the way it was done in New York Harbor!)

At that time, further upstream, the "CITY OF BATON ROUGE" and the "LOUISIANA" (similar ferryboats) were also in operation at the capital.

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....strange, when you consider that all harbor ferries these days (with the exception of the Staten Island Ferry) are all single-ended vessels.

To my old-fashioned way of thinking, a harbor ferry HAS to be DOUBLE-ENDED (growing up, I never realized that there anything BUT double-ended passenger/vehicular ferries!) Shocked Rolling Eyes

IMHO, I will ALWAYS believe that a TRUE ferry is DOUBLE-ENDED! (hey, I grew up in the 1960's, when there were still a good number of double-ended vessels still in operation, here in the harbor!) Very Happy

"NYO"

["DEPARTMENT OF MARINE & AVIATION"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard this.....

During this evening's rush hour, a Staten Island ferry stalled near the Statue of Liberty, due to an on-board fire.

The fire aboard the "SANDY GROUND" (one of the newest boats) was contained to an area of the engine room and the stack.

The boat was then anchored in the Bay Ridge Channel, off Sunset Park.

Passengers donning like jackets were evacuated by a number of vessels, including at least one NY WATERWAYS ferry.

Thankfully, no seroius injuries reported......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Just heard this.....

During this evening's rush hour, a Staten Island ferry stalled near the Statue of Liberty, due to an on-board fire.

The fire aboard the "SANDY GROUND" (one of the newest boats) was contained to an area of the engine room and the stack.

The boat was then anchored in the Bay Ridge Channel, off Sunset Park.

Passengers donning like jackets were evacuated by a number of vessels, including at least one NY WATERWAYS ferry.

Thankfully, no seroius injuries reported......

"NYO"

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/hundreds-of-staten-island-ferry-passengers-evacuated-amid-reports-of-engine-room-fire/4010377/

Kudo's to the crew, for safely evacuating that many passenger's....the drill's they must continually perform, apparently paid off....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Thanks for this link; much appreciated.

ABC 7 (Eyewitness News) at the top of the 11 o' clock broadcast last evening, featured excellent coverage on the fire.

I learned that these newest ferries are equipped with much in the way of fire safety devices, which all worked as intended.

Indeed, the SI crew rose to the occasion in the best "seamen" tradition; great work, fellows!

This incident also made me think of the old, long-gone steam ferries of the "DONGAN HILLS"-class (retired in 1965) which incorporated much woodwork in their construction.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow up......

Watched another excellent report on the SI FERRY fire on Eyewitness News earlier; the ferry captain was praised, as was his crew, by the skipper of one of the NY WATERWAYS ferries that helped evacuate passenger from the afflicted "SANDY GROUND".

The boat is now docked at St. George, pending investigation.

It is not believed (at this time) that the other boats in the still-new class are also prone to whatever failure led to the engine room fire aboard the "SANDY GROUND"........

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Follow up......

Watched another excellent report on the SI FERRY fire on Eyewitness News earlier; the ferry captain was praised, as was his crew, by the skipper of one of the NY WATERWAYS ferries that helped evacuate passenger from the afflicted "SANDY GROUND".

The boat is now docked at St. George, pending investigation.

It is not believed (at this time) that the other boats in the still-new class are also prone to whatever failure led to the engine room fire aboard the "SANDY GROUND"........

"NYO"

Well that's a relief, for the Ferry and the commuter's...imagine if the Coast Guard ordered a "grounding" of the new boats in that class, pending the determination of the cause of the fire... Shocked

That is something that the Federal Aviation Agency might do, in the event of a crash of a new type airliner...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Agreed!

What I like about these boats is that, despite the fact that they are INDEED quite modern, they STILL have that traditional "New York Harbor" double-ended design, which is timeless. Wink

The old "DONGAN HILLS"-class boats were the last SI boats with wooden superstructures.

The "MISS NEW YORK" boats were the first to have metal superstructures (much aluminum was also used in the construction of these handsome, streamlined ferryboats)

How fast technology changes....recall, back in the early 1980's, we thought that the new "BARBERI" boats were the ULTIMATE in ferry design, with their futuristic cycloidal pitch ("eggbeater") props?

It is obvious that the new hi-tech fire-control systems were in A-1 working order, when the fire broke out aboard the "SANDY GROUND" (thank heavens!)

Recall, too, that the startingly modern steamers of the "MERRELL" class (1950) were also quite advanced, mechanically, compared to the older steamers.

The older boats utilized the tried-and-true double compound engines; the new "MERRELL" class ferries were powered by modern Skinner Marine Uniflow engines.

These handsome boats (sadly, none exist today) were also the last steamers purchased for the SI run......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO--
Your knowledge of the SI boats is very impressive!

Do you know offhand, if the fire-suppression system on the Sandy Ground boat engine room uses Halon gas? Could be why the NYFD said it was not yet safe to enter to inspect?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NYO--
Your knowledge of the SI boats is very impressive!

Do you know offhand, if the fire-suppression system on the Sandy Ground boat engine room uses Halon gas? Could be why the NYFD said it was not yet safe to enter to inspect?

traildriver:

First of all, I do THANK YOU for your kind compliment....MUCH appreciated! Wink

In 1964, Mom bought me a copy of George W. Hilton's excellent little softcover, "THE STATEN ISLAND FERRY", from the newsstand at the Whitehall St. terminal.

It was through this book that I first got into the history of the ferry and its boats; I was then an "advanced reader", so I could enjoy much of what I was reading.

(I STILL have this book today!)

I was also a weekend volunteer at the SI FERRY Museum at St,George, back around 1985/1986....a LOT of fun!) Very Happy

Regarding fire extinguishers aboard the boats, at present, I am not sure.....although I am ALMOST positive that I heard an official say something about CO2 extinguishers, while watching the report the other evening........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Just did a very brief "search"......

"B", "C", or "D" class (from what I gathered from a Staten Island fire extinguisher page).....any of these MIGHT have been used to combat the fire aboard the "SANDY GROUND" the other evening.

Other than that, I can only guess......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Historical note.....

Fire drills have been very important components of the SI Ferry, since the days when all of the boats had wooden superstructures.

In "THE STATEN ISLAND FERRY" ("Images of America" series) there is a circa-1920's photo showing a fire drill being carried out aboard the "BRONX" at St. George, with a uniformed crewman spraying a powerful stream of water from the bridge deck.......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...the Coast Guard, and internationally, the SOLAS regulations, require maritime operators to conduct regular fire and safety drills. I have witnessed many of these, on my various cruises through the years...

Last edited by traildriver on Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

redacted duplicate post
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 9 of 21

Jump to: