BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baseball buses/rapid transit (then and now)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Baseball, it would seem, is indeed much more than a "game"; these days, it is more of a multi-billion dollar enterprise.

Too, as the years progress, "hot" players soon become yesterday's news.

Though not a Yankee fan, per se, I well remember when Derek Jeter was the "hot" player for quite some time.

Recall, too, all the fallout from the streroid blitz?

Going way, way, back, recall when "The Duke", "Pee Wee", and "Jackie" were the HOT players at Ebbets Field?

Nothing is forever....look at how "hot" Mantle and Berra were, seemingly for ages, until they hung up their cleats for good.

And, let's not forget the "larger-than-life" Gil Hodges.

Time marches on......

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Baseball, it would seem, is indeed much more than a "game"; these days, it is more of a multi-billion dollar enterprise.

Not just baseball. The same could be said of all the major sports (football, basketball, hockey et al.). All are now said to be more a big business than a mere "game." And teamsmanship? The two NYC area basketball teams (Knicks and "Brooklyn" Nets), as often as not, seem to be a case of herding cats together into a room, in wild contrast to the 1970 and 1973 NBA world champion Knicks teams (back when their home was called "the Garden" and not referred to the same initials as monosodium glutamate).
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:

Not just baseball. The same could be said of all the major sports (football, basketball, hockey et al.). All are now said to be more a big business than a mere "game." And teamsmanship? The two NYC area basketball teams (Knicks and "Brooklyn" Nets), as often as not, seem to be a case of herding cats together into a room, in wild contrast to the 1970 and 1973 NBA world champion Knicks teams (back when their home was called "the Garden" and not referred to the same initials as monosodium glutamate).

w.B.:

Agreed. 100%.

I have to admit, I do often find myself becoming a tad angry when I hear of the astronomical salaries these guys get for simply "playing a game", several months a year.

I think of seniors, veterans, and low-income folks who struggle day-to-day, while others are raking in untold millions.

Too, think of what such "out-of-this-world" amounts could do for health care, education, and city infrastructure.

This reminds me of a story Mom told me, back about 1930, when she was a schoolgirl.

She asked her teacher "What comes after a million?"

Her teacher smiled at her, and replied: "Don't worry, you'll never have to know."

Today, we often think in billions and trillions........ Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....heard that The Amazins are getting "new blood" for the 2023 season (can't wait for spring training news!) Wink

Sure hope the Mets have a a good number of solid victories in 2023! Very Happy

Of course, only time will tell.......

"NYO"

["GO METS!"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....was QUITE refreshing indeed (and exciting) to see Eyewitness News (7) sports anchor Ryan Field down in Florida last evening, talking to some of the Amazin' Mets, as they reported for spring training.....aaahhhhh, the sweet anticipation of a (hopefully) wonderful season! Wink

First pitch for the Amazins' will be Thursday, March 30th! Very Happy

"NYO"

["GO METS!"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Amazins' won their season opener yesterday..... Very Happy

["GO METS!"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Amazins' won their season opener yesterday..... Very Happy

["GO METS!"]

As did the Yankees. And right off the bat (pun intended or not? You decide) Capt. Aaron Judge hits a homer on his first at-bat, plus plunking another one.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and yesterday, the Amazins' won, while the Yanks lost.....looks like the ol' "pendulum" is swingin' back and forth again, for another season...... Rolling Eyes

"GO METS!"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......while today, BOTH "Noo Yawk" teams won......(!!) Wink

["GO METS!"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....somehow, after the big-time bruisin' they experienced earlier this week, The Amazin's came back swingin' today, and won their home opener at CitiField (man, they should STILL be playing at SHEA!!!) Wink

I just had this gut feeling that the Mets were really going to "get back into the swing", once they were back on "home turf"! Very Happy

They said the #7 trains were JAMMED with Mets fans today, NONE of whom went home disappointed!) Smile

Too bad the fabled Redbirds and the immortal Shea Stadium are no longer with us today...... Sad

["GO METS!"]

(Sidenote: The Yanks lost today's game)
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't some municipal bus firms still have baseball signs flashing above the driver's window? In streetcar days, it would be a placard next to the front door, Game Today.
https://vahistorical.wordpress.com/2015/02/24/fifty-shades-of-grey-at-the-vhs/vhe_transportation_streetcar-2000-186-586-b/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The past year has been anything but smooth sailing for the "Noo Yawk" baseball teams, with the Mets spending the 2023 season being battered, bashed, clobbered, and bruised, with but brief moments in the spotlight of victory.

After today's earlier BLOODBATH at Citi Field (1st game of a double-header), I would think that it would seem MORE than appropriate to give the Mets a NEW nickname, one that would certainly fit, given their shoddy, hapless performance this season......

"THE QUEENS BOMBERS"

I will admit that I know next to nothing about baseball (or any other pro sport, for that matter), but, for the astronomical $$$$$$$ the managers and players get paid, one would think that there would be more professionilism being shown out there on the "Field Of Dreams".

That being said, I think that more than a few "Noo Yawk" baseball fans are,indeed, more than eager to see the 2023 finally (and mercifully) finally come to a long-awaited close....... Sad Crying or Very sad

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The past year has been anything but smooth sailing for the "Noo Yawk" baseball teams, with the Mets spending the 2023 season being battered, bashed, clobbered, and bruised, with but brief moments in the spotlight of victory.

After today's earlier BLOODBATH at Citi Field (1st game of a double-header), I would think that it would seem MORE than appropriate to give the Mets a NEW nickname, one that would certainly fit, given their shoddy, hapless performance this season......

"THE QUEENS BOMBERS"

I will admit that I know next to nothing about baseball (or any other pro sport, for that matter), but, for the astronomical $$$$$$$ the managers and players get paid, one would think that there would be more professionilism being shown out there on the "Field Of Dreams".

That being said, I think that more than a few "Noo Yawk" baseball fans are,indeed, more than eager to see the 2023 finally (and mercifully) finally come to a long-awaited close....... Sad Crying or Very sad

"NYO"

And all because Edwin Diaz had a career-ending injury while playing overseas. Sheesh!

The Yanks, it should be noted, have been more or less getting by. But only just.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Agreed.

The Yanks are getting by....but only JUST.

One cannot help, during these dismal days, but to recall such legendary, "larger-than-life "Yanks" as Babe Ruth, Lou Gherig, Joe DiMaggio, and Yogi Berra.

The Mets are now in such a deep slump (especially after today's unbelievable slaughter), I am sure that many formerly "die-hard" fans have, finally, bailed.

The "Amazing New York Mets".....when they actually WIN a game, it is NOTHING short of AMAZING....'nuff said!

The Mets' multiple losses and lackadisical playing this season are truly embarrassing; and, to see the legendary "larger then life" Bronx Bombers just basically limping along has to be sobering indeed to "Noo Yawk" baseball fans. Sad

As for the 2023 Mets....sad, pathetic, and downright embarrassing; recall their 100 wins, last season.....how things can change!

The late Gil Hodges would be throwing 100 major-league fits if he were alive today, to witness all the carnage..... Sad

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following should come as no surprise.......Confused

After being SLAUGHTERED in the first game of a double-header this afternoon, the Mets were shut out in the second game, 6-0. Sad

Should we laugh, or should we cry....or BOTH? Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Razz Mad

I just heard on 1010 WINS, that, today, their opponents scored over TWENTY runs, while the Mets scored but three. Razz

The "Noo Yawk" 2023 baseball season, mercifully, will soon be over (a TREMENDOUS sigh of relief heard from all five boroughs, for certain!)..... Crying or Very sad

["NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 21 of 49

Jump to: