BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.....and leave the driving to us......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about a RARE piece of bus history; here we have the last surviving MACK suburban (P-1683) which, thankfully, escaped the torch and is still with us today..... Very Happy

https://pacbus.org/museum-roster/pacific-greyhound-lines-p1683/

["PACIFIC GREYHOUND LINES"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another preserved relic from GREYHOUND's Bay Area commuter days.,..... Very Happy

https://pacbus.org/museum-roster/pacific-greyhound-lines-k1407/

["SAN FRANCISCO"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also......

https://pacbus.org/museum-roster/western-greyhound-lines-9706/

"WESTERN GREYHOUND LINES"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's PBM's handsome 1964 MC-5 (WESTERN GREYHOUND LINES).....

https://pacbus.org/museum-roster/western-greyhound-lines-mci-mc-5-2623/

["MCI"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the interesting history of former WESTERN GREYHOUND LINES #8005 (SCENICRUISER)...............

https://pacbus.org/museum-roster/western-greyhound-lines-8005/

["PD-4501"]
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of bus historic fleets, I ran across this bit of news, online...

I certainly hope these magnificent coaches are going to good new homes, and are going to be available for public viewing. Too bad the entire fleet isn't going to the Bus Museum in Hershey, Hibbing, or Pacific Bus. It must really hurt those dedicated Greyhound mechanic's that so lovingly restored those vehicle's, especially the '31 Mack...

https://www.busconversionmagazine.com/forum/index.php?topic=36388.0
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver;

Man, I did not see THIS one coming!!!!!!!!!! Sad

Doesn't ANYONE have ANY respect for TRANSPORT history (especially BUS history) these days?

Are we THAT much of a "throw-away" society?

Dang, this has my blood boiling and my heart aching. Mad Crying or Very sad

I'm hoping FEVERISHLY that these beautiful and historic buses will somehow be saved.

Too bad the new Euro owners of GREYHOUND don't cherish and respect the historic collection as much as I prize and revere my extensive collection of vintage toy GREYHOUND buses.

I'm HEARTSICK at this news...PLEASE keep me posted.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only these magnificent historic buses, so very integral to American transportation history, could be sold as one "package" to a museum that will treat them with the dignity and respect they so richly deserve as historic vehicles......

www.greyhoundbusmuseum.org/buses.html

["For historic bus preservation-DON'T go GREYHOUND-and DON'T leave the BUSES to US!" Sad
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I could glean from that forum, Flix did not get the historic fleet as part of their Greyhound purchase from FirstGroup, so it is FirstGroup that is or has sold them off.

Can’t blame FirstGroup as they really have no further benefit for maintaining the historic fleet, but at least they should have tried to sell them as a complete lot, or donated them as a tax write-off…
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
From what I could glean from that forum, Flix did not get the historic fleet as part of their Greyhound purchase from FirstGroup, so it is FirstGroup that is or has sold them off.

Can’t blame FirstGroup as they really have no further benefit for maintaining the historic fleet, but at least they should have tried to sell them as a complete lot, or donated them as a tax write-off…

traildriver:

I would have thought that the buses would have went to the NBM; guess I was wrong. Sad

Perhaps PBM night get a few, at least?

My main concern is that ALL of the historic buses will find new homes where they will be apprectiated and put on public display, and NOT fall into ruin.......we can only hope.

I have seen far too many historic buses go to rail museums, only to sit exposed to the elements for decades, before turning into masses of rust...... Sad

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver wrote:

traildriver:

I would have thought that the buses would have went to the NBM; guess I was wrong. Sad

Perhaps PBM night get a few, at least?

My main concern is that ALL of the historic buses will find new homes where they will be apprectiated and put on public display, and NOT fall into ruin.......we can only hope.

I have seen far too many historic buses go to rail museums, only to sit exposed to the elements for decades, before turning into masses of rust...... Sad

"NYO"

That’s why I like the Museum of Bus Transportation, now a part of the Antique Auto Club of America, in Hershey…
They have the facilities, and resources to take proper care of their extensive collection.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I have some very good things about this museum; let's hope that they will prove to be the "saviours", if you will, for at least a few of those historic "Hounds"! Wink

I always wondered why the historic GREYHOUND collection did not include a 4104 "Highway Traveler"; after all, they WERE an INTEGRAL part of the Greyhound fleet for many, many years, and, also, among the most iconic buses to travel America's highways and byways, once upon a time...... Wink

"NYO"

["TRAVEL STRAIGHT THRU-GO GREYHOUND!"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

I have some very good things about this museum; let's hope that they will prove to be the "saviours", if you will, for at least a few of those historic "Hounds"! Wink

I always wondered why the historic GREYHOUND collection did not include a 4104 "Highway Traveler"; after all, they WERE an INTEGRAL part of the Greyhound fleet for many, many years, and, also, among the most iconic buses to travel America's highways and byways, once upon a time...... Wink

"NYO"

["TRAVEL STRAIGHT THRU-GO GREYHOUND!"

I agree. There should have been one.
I would guess that there wasn’t, perhaps because they felt the PD-4501 Scenicruiser represented pretty much the same era, and of course it literally overshadowed its brother,,,
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Could be you are right on that one.

Too, when you look at a 4104, you can clearly see what bus INSPIRED the SCENICRUISER.

Actually, I have long regarded the 4104, 4501, and the 4106 as sort of a "trilogy"; the 4106, clearly, is a more modern, more angular version of the 4104.

IMHO, classics ALL........ Wink

"NYO"

["IT'S SUCH A PLEASURE TO TAKE THE BUS!"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting......

I just received a dvd of one of my all-time classic sci-fi flicks, "IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA" (1955), in which a giant octopus, after ravaging the Pacific shipping lanes (with deadly results), attacks San Francisco.

The massive beast tears out a chunk of the Golden Gate Bridge, as well as crushing one of its supports like tinfoil.

It later pulls down to the Ferry Building clock tower (of course, this HAD to have curtailed SP ferry service to Oakland Pier!) and destroys much along the waterfront.

One quick scene (of particular interest) shows the Ferry Building under attack from the giant octopus, and we can see rows of GREYHOUND Old Looks parked at the terminal, obviously awaiting the PM rush.........

"NYO"

["PACIFIC GREYHOUND LINES"]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 44 of 73

Jump to: