BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recalling the long-defunct intercity operators.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 76, 77, 78  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Glad to hear you and yours are OK*; you truly got off lucky.

Also, glad to hear your buses were "up and running". Wink

AMTRAK, I know, had halted all service to Florida; I would guess GREYHOUND did likewise, or, at the very least, stopped running some routes....

"NYO"

Up here, we had a SPECTACULAR sunset earlier this evening, with fiery reds and vivid oranges streaking the skies; the clouds were "shear" from Ian's northern fringes.

We are just supposed to have a breezy, rainy weekend in this area, which, actually, is pretty typical for this time of year.
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Academy has provided several buses to shuttle out-of-town power crews from various northern states to and from various job sites in the affected areas in the effort to restore power. Yesterday, on the way to work, I saw a mile-long convoy of emergency vehicles pass by on the way to that area...police and sheriff vehicles, fire and rescue, Florida Light & Power trucks, and visiting light and power trucks from northern states...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

This is interesting news; thanks for sharing.

I know some PSE&G crews had headed south to help with the cleanup and to restore power.

So, from what you are saying, ACADEMY sent a number of buses from New Jersey (does ACADEMY still have its base in Hoboken?)

Kudos to these hard-working crews on their "missions of mercy" to millions.....

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

This is interesting news; thanks for sharing.

I know some PSE&G crews had headed south to help with the cleanup and to restore power.

So, from what you are saying, ACADEMY sent a number of buses from New Jersey (does ACADEMY still have its base in Hoboken?)

Kudos to these hard-working crews on their "missions of mercy" to millions.....

"NYO"

Not from Hoboken (Academy indeed has its main base and its headquarters in Hoboken)...the buses we supplied came from our WPB FL termilnal.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Thanks for this info; so ACADEMY still is in Hoboken; I have not been in the area since I retired in 2003.

Mom and I were VERY familiar with ACADEMY's "#22 HILLSIDE" for many years; Mom used this line frequently for shopping jaunts, and to visit my aunt, who then lived just off Bergenline and 79th St.

I often rode it to connect with ACADEMY's rush-hour only "BOULEVARD EAST" run to Hoboken at Nungessers; I was riding prior to the NJT takeover of this line (also, the #22)

On Saturdays, I frequently took the "#22" down to West New York, to browse at the now long-gone "ALLESI'S HOBBY SHOP" (I NEVER came out empty handed!)Wink

Over the years, I remember Fishbowls, Flex New Looks, and METRO "B's" on the #22, prior to NJT.

Later, RTS (some were second-hand MTA units; the second-hand RTS from DART were the worst performers, and had a/c units that barely functioned)

The last time I rode on the "BOULEVARD EAST" line was in late 2001 .

NJT cut back the "#22" to Nungessers around 2005; outside of the #159 and rush-hour #159R, there is not much bus presence, here in town, these days.....the never-ceasing parade of jitney vans far outnumber the NJT buses...... Sad
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......whatever routes GREYHOUND still has in Florida these days, let's hope that things are, at least, slowly returning to some sense of normalcy......

"NYO"
Tiny Tim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Academy has provided several buses to shuttle out-of-town power crews from various northern states to and from various job sites in the affected areas in the effort to restore power. Yesterday, on the way to work, I saw a mile-long convoy of emergency vehicles pass by on the way to that area...police and sheriff vehicles, fire and rescue, Florida Light & Power trucks, and visiting light and power trucks from northern states...
I'm here in Cape Coral not too far from where the eye came ashore. Have seen several buses from Annett bus here plus others from other areas shuttling crews from the hotels to the staging area. Flat dot rolled into town with 40 trucks. All shorts of cops from Miami and ft lauderdale like 20 cars at a time. Was at rsw airport yesterday and watched a chinook chopper lift a 20 ft container off the ground circle to gain height and head out to sanibel
Tiny Tim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
I'm here in Cape Coral not too far from where the eye came ashore. Have seen several buses from Annett bus here plus others from other areas shuttling crews from the hotels to the staging area. Flat dot rolled into town with 40 trucks. All shorts of cops from Miami and ft lauderdale like 20 cars at a time. Was at rsw airport yesterday and watched a chinook chopper lift a 20 ft container off the ground circle to gain height and head out to sanibel
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny Tim:

Glad you are OK.

That storm was beyond nightmarish; thank God you are a suvivor.

Are there local buses in your area?

If there are, I'm hoping that, they, too, are now running again.....

"NYO"
Tiny Tim

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny Tim:

Glad you are OK.

"NYO"
Thanks . As for the local buses they started back yesterday on a limited schedule. No fares at this time. Leetran is the name. There have a Facebook page and if you Google them your find the schedule and stuff.
Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim:

Glad you are OK.

"NYO"
Thanks . As for the local buses they started back yesterday on a limited schedule. No fares at this time. Leetran is the name. There have a Facebook page and if you Google them your find the schedule and stuff.
Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim:

Glad you are OK.

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this info; much appreciated.

It's good to know the buses are back, if only on a limited schedule, for the time being.

Good thing that the buses survived this monstrous storm (far too many people didn't)

IMHO, I really believe that most people do not realize just how important buses are in daily life until they suddenly vanish......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeeTran
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as so many once-commonplace long-haul bus companies have long since vanished into history, so have countless former suburban carriers.

In New Jersey alone:

PUBLIC SERVICE

ORANGE & BLACK

INTER-CITY

NORTHEAST COACHES

LINCOLN TRANSIT

SOMERSET

MANHATTAN LINES

RED & TAN
'
SUBURBAN TRANSIT

Thankfully, DE CAMP and LAKELAND are still with us today in 2023.

Recall, in later years, both INTER-CITY and ORANGE & BLACK becoming MAPLEWOOD EQUIPMENT CO. (NORTHEAST COACHES also had their offices at the former O&B garage in Fairview)

So many once-familiar carriers, so many colorful paint schemes.......not even their shadows remain today.......

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 76, 77, 78  Next
Page 47 of 78

Jump to: