BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!
 
 BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MaBSTOA T6H-5309A (and El replacement buses)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17645
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

In this 1972 Journal Square (Jersey City) scene (looking west on Kennedy Boulevard), at the extreme left, you can see a bit of the TIME/TEMPERATURE sign of HUDSON TRUST (TRUST COMPANY OF NEW JERSEY); Lord only knows how many times I was mesmerized by this sign, back in the 60's)

In this view, SHBL's ancient Old Looks are in prominence........ahhh, the good old days..... Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153656

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["JERSEY CITY-BAYONNE LOCAL"]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17645
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

".......The temperature is 68........"(39th & Main, 1971)

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154292

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["4444"]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
W.B. Fishbowl



Age: 55
Joined: 02 Oct 2014
Posts: 1589
Location: New York, New York, USA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B.:

In this 1972 Journal Square (Jersey City) scene (looking west on Kennedy Boulevard), at the extreme left, you can see a bit of the TIME/TEMPERATURE sign of HUDSON TRUST (TRUST COMPANY OF NEW JERSEY); Lord only knows how many times I was mesmerized by this sign, back in the 60's)

In this view, SHBL's ancient Old Looks are in prominence........ahhh, the good old days..... Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153656

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["JERSEY CITY-BAYONNE LOCAL"]

From how the lamp banks are arranged, looks like American Sign & Indicator. Same for the Main Street Queens pic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
W.B. Fishbowl



Age: 55
Joined: 02 Oct 2014
Posts: 1589
Location: New York, New York, USA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's what many a MaBSTOA bus (M10, M104, M106, M6, M7) passed through over the years. This is how the Mk II zipper along One Times Square (or as it was at that juncture, the Allied Chemical Tower) looked when first put into service in 1965. From my studying of sign lamps over the years, it looks like they used 15-watt red-color A15 (15A15/R, 3.5" MOL) for the Life magazine border, (most likely) 40-watt A19 (40A, 4.25" MOL) for the spelling out of 'LIFE', and 30-watt Westinghouse A21 reflector bulbs (30A21/RFL, 4.4375" MOL) for flashing the news of the day (which at that point was controlled by Naxon Telesign perforator/transmitter system which was set up for round alphanumeric characters as opposed to the square ones on the Bond zipper). The bulbs were centered 4.5" horizontally and 4" vertically, the "ribbon" would have been 56" high from end to end.


allied-chem-zipper_1965_fresh.jpg
 Description:
Start point of One Times Square zipper, 1965
(For educational purposes only.)
 Filesize:  106.14 KB
 Viewed:  720 Time(s)

allied-chem-zipper_1965_fresh.jpg


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17645
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Times_Square (as danged ugly as the "improved" PABT)

Also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_ticker

Anyone reading your comments could easily think that you once worked for one of the companies that manufactured such signs; your input is far beyond "in depth" on the subject, that is for certain! Wink

IMHO, that famed "zipper" deserved landmark status; Times Square is now about as blind, insipid, and generic as you can get.

Nowadays,where now tourists and "Noo Yawkers" alike have to worry about weird characters in (and out) of costume accosting them, in addition to rampant crime and strolling, voracious rodents...... Sad

"NYO"

"It's where the underworld can meet the elite....naughty, gaudy, sporty....FORTY-SECOND STREET!"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
W.B. Fishbowl



Age: 55
Joined: 02 Oct 2014
Posts: 1589
Location: New York, New York, USA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B.:

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Times_Square (as danged ugly as the "improved" PABT)

Also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_ticker

Anyone reading your comments could easily think that you once worked for one of the companies that manufactured such signs; your input is far beyond "in depth" on the subject, that is for certain! Wink

IMHO, that famed "zipper" deserved landmark status; Times Square is now about as blind, insipid, and generic as you can get.

Nowadays,where now tourists and "Noo Yawkers" alike have to worry about weird characters in (and out) of costume accosting them, in addition to rampant crime and strolling, voracious rodents...... Sad

"NYO"

"It's where the underworld can meet the elite....naughty, gaudy, sporty....FORTY-SECOND STREET!"

One Times Square now stands to get even uglier. It's getting another "remodeling" for the "modern" age. Yeesh.

They got a few things wrong on the original "motograph" around what started out as the Times Tower, though. It too, had the same 4" vertical and 4.5" horizontal spacing, but at an angle of about 9.4 degrees. But that's not why I bring this up. They claimed it was turned off in 1961. Not so. It held on long enough to report on both Marilyn Monroe's death in August 1962, and the unfolding Cuban Missile Crisis in October. It did seem to have been turned off, however, just before 1962 gave way to 1963.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17645
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Times Square, 2022, now has the cold, generic look of "the guts of an oversized jukebox". Sad

The last time Your's Truly really liked (and felt comfortable) in TSQ when when I was a kid; by the time I entered my teens, it was sinking fast, and, by the time I began working downtown in early 1979, it had become the world's largest sleaze pit. Sad

I avoided the area like the plague; the closest I came to TSQ when I was working was the IRT 7th Avenue line's station (also, the lofty BMT station)

I have not been in the city (or on the subway) since I retired nearly 20 years ago, and I have no desire to return.

I am MORE than happy to have all the great memories I have (especially "riding the rails" back in the SMEE days of yore) of "the old days"...... Wink

"NYO"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17645
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1974:

The hilarious Barbra Streisand comedy, "For Pete's Sake" (which had, in one hysterical NYPD canine chase scene underground), had her at the Court St. station (IND), at the time just prior to it becoming the Transit Museum (the station also "stood in" for Clark St.)

The scene also featured a train of prewar IND cars, signed "LL" and "CONEY ISLAND" Rolling Eyes

Several "Em-Tee-Ay" Fishbowls are also briefly seen, near Borough Hall (one bus carries an ad for "Mays"!)

In that year, Mets fans could still ride out to Shea Stadium aboard WF "Bluebirds" (fast being covered in graffiti); Yankee fans were still riding classic mainline SMEE equipment (also scrawled with increasing barrages of "urban art") up to the original "House That Ruth Built".

By this late date (1974) Old Looks and MACKS were long gone, and both the "Em-Tee-Yay" and MaBSTOA fleets were made up of Fishbowls and "Dangerfields".

For a few more years, the last remaining prewar IND cars would still be carrying straphangers 'neath the teeming streets of "Noo Yawk".

Light-years removed from what, sadly, passes for "commonplace, today, in 2022......... Sad

"NYO"

["HH FULTON ST. LCL"]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
W.B. Fishbowl



Age: 55
Joined: 02 Oct 2014
Posts: 1589
Location: New York, New York, USA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
1974:

The hilarious Barbra Streisand comedy, "For Pete's Sake" (which had, in one hysterical NYPD canine chase scene underground), had her at the Court St. station (IND), at the time just prior to it becoming the Transit Museum (the station also "stood in" for Clark St.)

The scene also featured a train of prewar IND cars, signed "LL" and "CONEY ISLAND" Rolling Eyes

Several "Em-Tee-Ay" Fishbowls are also briefly seen, near Borough Hall (one bus carries an ad for "Mays"!)

In that year, Mets fans could still ride out to Shea Stadium aboard WF "Bluebirds" (fast being covered in graffiti); Yankee fans were still riding classic mainline SMEE equipment (also scrawled with increasing barrages of "urban art") up to the original "House That Ruth Built".

As to that last point: Only up to the 1973 season (at the point this film was made); the Yankees played at Shea from 1974 to 1975, so fans of both teams in those two years rode the increasingly graffiti-laden WF "Bluebirds" to the Willets Point station. (Yankee Stadium I (a) was gutted and refurbished into Yankee Stadium I (b) in those years, not to reopen until 1976 - the year what is today the Transit Museum first opened. And it wasn't just the 'Eye-Ar-Tee' canvases, er SMEE rolling stock by which people came to/went from "the Stadium," it was also the IND cars below, which up to 1976 also included the prewar 'Arnines' running on the CC line.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17645
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Yes, I had forgotten about the time when the original Yankee Stadium was being "improved" and the "Bombers" had their games at Shea (one cannot help but wonder how really "Gung Ho" Mets fans felt about the "Bombers" playing on their hallowed turf hallowed turf, back in those days. Sad

I well recall the old "Arnines" on the rush hour "CC" back then, running between 207th St. and Chambers (WTC/Hudson Terminal); how ironic that the last runs of these venerable "Eyee-En-Dee" relics were no longer on home rails, but now running on the BMT.

And, back in '74, there were still many buses attired in "Tee-Yay" green still in service...... Wink

"NYO"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17645
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting one from 1974......

Batwing MaBSTOA Fishbowl #8486, far away from home territory, sporting interesting (if conflicting) signage.....(29th & Hoyt) while out in Brooklyn......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154085

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["TB TRIBORO BRIDGE"]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17645
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, way back in '74, we see a train of "Arnines" on another fantrip, signed for the "GG" (for many years, the legendary hockey maven Stan Fischler lived in a Brooklyn brownstone, just above the IND's "MYRTLE-WILLOUGHBY" station....... Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?119356

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["GG SMITH 9TH ST"]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17645
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battle-scarred prewar "Arnines" awaiting the next call to duty at the Rockaway Parkway yards (1974)...........

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2106

(nycsubway.org)

["LL"]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17645
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Da Bronx", 1974.

Fishbowl # 6836 is seen running with an empty front sign box, through dismal surroundings.

Note, also, the battered "private" cab and the old two-aspect traffic light, itself evocative of another era......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155681

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["TB"]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
W.B. Fishbowl



Age: 55
Joined: 02 Oct 2014
Posts: 1589
Location: New York, New York, USA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Here's an interesting one from 1974......

Batwing MaBSTOA Fishbowl #8486, far away from home territory, sporting interesting (if conflicting) signage.....(29th & Hoyt) while out in Brooklyn......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154085

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["TB TRIBORO BRIDGE"]

That the front roll sign said "M102 125 St-Lenox" was proof this bus was based out of 100th Street depot in Manhattan. Had this been taken a few months later, the roll sign on front would have read "M35 Astoria Blvd." Also, this pic was taken in Queens (the Astoria section), not Brooklyn. The Triborough Bridge never spanned to Brooklyn - and the side sign clearly indicates 'TB'. Wink

['M35 Astoria Boulevard']
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 48, 49, 50 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 49 of 58

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group