BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!
 
 BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recalling the long-defunct intercity operators.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17616
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also of interest.......

https://newsexpresshindi.com/foster-companions-and-epstein-will-design-new-port-authority-bus-terminal/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17616
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing related to this has been mentioned on the recent PABT rebuilding reports on the news......

Whenever the new terminal opens, there will STILL be the major issue of the Lincoln Tunnel, strangulated during rush hours. Though I have heard nothing about building additional tubes, it is clear that some sort of "overflow" trans-Hudson artery should be built)

"NYO"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17616
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting info on this page......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Authority_Bus_Terminal

["PORT-OF-AUTHORITY"]

(There is also a 1930's photo here of the old GREYHOUND terminal opposite the now-demolished Pennsylvania Station)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17616
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"OPEN LATE 1950"..........

https://www.panynj.gov/bus-terminals/en/port-authority/pabt-history-.html
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17616
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought to consider (regarding the rebuilding and expansion of the present PABT).......

In all of the reports I have read (and seen on the news), I have not come across anything even hinting on increased capacity of the Lincoln Tunnel, to handle the influx of buses entering and leaving the new facility.

As the Lincoln Tunnel is now beyond strangulation at rush hours these days, with buses often backed up for miles, it is sheer foolhardy to believe that the present tunnel's tubes could even begin to cope with the needs of a new and expanded PABT.

The only solution I could think of would be to be a new set of tubes under the Hudson, but reserved exclusively for buses, no other vehicles.

It will be interesting, to say the least, to see if any talks or plans surface in the future, regarding the construction of a new set of tubes on the Hudson River, for bus use only.....

"NYO"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
traildriver




Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Posts: 2091
Location: South Florida

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
"OPEN LATE 1950"..........

https://www.panynj.gov/bus-terminals/en/port-authority/pabt-history-.html


It would be nice if that very abbreviated history was expanded somewhat...I believe the PA has some historic photos of the changes of the terminal thru the years, but apparently they have no desire to publish them. Too bad... Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
traildriver




Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Posts: 2091
Location: South Florida

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Thought to consider (regarding the rebuilding and expansion of the present PABT).......

In all of the reports I have read (and seen on the news), I have not come across anything even hinting on increased capacity of the Lincoln Tunnel, to handle the influx of buses entering and leaving the new facility.

As the Lincoln Tunnel is now beyond strangulation at rush hours these days, with buses often backed up for miles, it is sheer foolhardy to believe that the present tunnel's tubes could even begin to cope with the needs of a new and expanded PABT.

The only solution I could think of would be to be a new set of tubes under the Hudson, but reserved exclusively for buses, no other vehicles.

It will be interesting, to say the least, to see if any talks or plans surface in the future, regarding the construction of a new set of tubes on the Hudson River, for bus use only.....

"NYO"


Part of the Lincoln Tunnel congestion, at least in the morning inbound rush, is the lack of a quick way to get the arriving buses out of the terminal and parked. The backup of unloaded buses can back all the way thru the tunnel. If they could quickly unload and get out of the way, that alone would improve tunnel capacity....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17616
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
"OPEN LATE 1950"..........

https://www.panynj.gov/bus-terminals/en/port-authority/pabt-history-.html


It would be nice if that very abbreviated history was expanded somewhat...I believe the PA has some historic photos of the changes of the terminal thru the years, but apparently they have no desire to publish them. Too bad... Sad


traildriver:

Agreed, 100%!

I would indeed love to see a book published (a book long overdue, IMHO!), celebrating the "Port-Of-Authority's" rich history over the decades; I would say, also, that the PANYNJ must have quite a few historic photos documenting the terminal's construction and many changes over the decades, photos that have not seen the light of day in decades.

Agreed; the PA does not seem in any hurry to publish any of these historic photos, so, I would guess that we simply must be content with what photos we find online, and, of course, our own memories.....

"NYO"

["RIVER ROAD EXPRESS"]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17616
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Thought to consider (regarding the rebuilding and expansion of the present PABT).......

In all of the reports I have read (and seen on the news), I have not come across anything even hinting on increased capacity of the Lincoln Tunnel, to handle the influx of buses entering and leaving the new facility.

As the Lincoln Tunnel is now beyond strangulation at rush hours these days, with buses often backed up for miles, it is sheer foolhardy to believe that the present tunnel's tubes could even begin to cope with the needs of a new and expanded PABT.

The only solution I could think of would be to be a new set of tubes under the Hudson, but reserved exclusively for buses, no other vehicles.

It will be interesting, to say the least, to see if any talks or plans surface in the future, regarding the construction of a new set of tubes on the Hudson River, for bus use only.....

"NYO"


Part of the Lincoln Tunnel congestion, at least in the morning inbound rush, is the lack of a quick way to get the arriving buses out of the terminal and parked. The backup of unloaded buses can back all the way thru the tunnel. If they could quickly unload and get out of the way, that alone would improve tunnel capacity....


traildriver:

Agreed, all the way.....the lack of a quick way to get the arriving buses out of the terminal as soon as they unload is a big part of the problem.

It would seem that bus lots are fewer in number than they were 40-50 years ago; recall the lot where RED & TAN buses used to park, behind the church, just outside of the terminal; that lot has long since been built over.

Granted, it wasn't a "high capacity" lot, but still, it DID provide an off-street storage point for buses between runs.

Storing buses between runs, I feel, is going to be an important component in the blueprints for the new terminal........

"NYO"

["PORT-OF-AUTHORITY"]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17616
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to read about the "bus staging area" of the new terminal......

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/newslocal/plans-detail-10-billion-overhaul-for-nycs-port-authority-bus-terminal/3811664/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
traildriver




Joined: 26 Mar 2011
Posts: 2091
Location: South Florida

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, despite the Covid, "work from home" effect, Manhattan real estate is still too expensive to have open storage lots. Especially with all the West Side development. Indeed, a fair percentage of inbound buses are deadheaded back to NJ between rush hours, further congesting the tunnel and approaches...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17616
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Good points.

Yes, the real estate prices in Manhattan (especially on the West side) has become beyond astronomical; small wonder why real estate for massive high-rise buildings beats out space for bus storage lots.

I know, for years, NJT has utilized a large lot beneath the Lincoln Tunnel helix in Weehawken, near the site of the old NYS&W's Susquehanna Transfer station

Many buses are stored here, BUT, the HUGE issue is TRYING to get them back into the PABT, as timeley possible.....NO easy feat with the massive nack-ups during rush hours (and to think that the Lincoln Tunnel was using one, and then two tubes, prior to the third tube opening in 1957.

Yes, at least for the near-term, the problem of getting buses back into Manhattan (and then out again) is a malady that, for now, has no easy solution.....

"NYO"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17616
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh, the good ol' days (1972)........ Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154497

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

[RIDE THE RED & TAN LINES"]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17616
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Check this one out:

"Two blasts of the horn and two fingers......"

(Southeastern Greyhound Lines).......

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/359795457721907143/mt=login


Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629




Joined: 18 Dec 2007
Posts: 17616
Location: NEW JOISEY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"ALL ABOARD" (December, 1950)............

https://www.pinterest.es/pin/191403052883328733/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 ... 44, 45, 46  Next
Page 37 of 46

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group