BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MaBSTOA T6H-5309A (and El replacement buses)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 68, 69, 70  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vividly recall seeing the Inter-City PD-4104's cruising NY-17 enroute to or from Liberty. I think they might have even had some PD-4106's on that route before they ended service there, not sure...but they weren't along long enough for PD-4107's. Their competition with dominant Short Line on that route, sort of reminded me of Lincoln Transit's competition with Public Service on the New York - Atlantic City run. Even so far as billboard's along the highway, advertising their fastest express trips...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Back in the early 1980's, when it was still very early in the game for NJT, I can still clearly recall (on the former ORANGE & BLACK rush-hour "RIVER ROAD EXPRESS") commuting on a few ex-O&B 4104's and, also, ex-INTER-CITY 4106's.

I have several 1960's vintage "MANHATTAN LINES" timetables in my collections, with a Fishbowl on the front.

At the top of the cover of one tt:

"MANHATTAN LINES-LINKING NEW JERSEY WITH NEW YORK"

On the bottom of the cover:

"MANHATTAN TRANSIT COMPANY" (Little Ferry Division)

One small "box" ad inside reads:

"DIRECT CONNECTIONS WITH ALL NEW YORK CITY SUBWAYS"

There is also an ad for direct service to area racetracks:

MONMOUTH PARK

GARDEN STATE RACEWAY

ATLANTIC CITY RACE TRACK

(via CONSOLIDATED SHORE LINES; Garden State Parkway express routes)......

"NYO"

["Ride The Red Bus!"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Here's a former INTER-CITY Fishbowl on Anderson Avenue in Cliffside Park, way, way back in 1981, heading into "Noo Yawk" on a former ORANGE & BLACK route.

I have lived within several blocks of this photo location for 48 years; I knew such scenes well.....

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156417

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

["The Brown Bus With The Orange Band"]

I think I mentioned that when I was a young'un, I lived west of an outdoor garage that housed Inter-City Fishbowls when not in operation, in Manhattan, across from the old Civil Jail where Mike Quill was thrown into during the nasty and bitter 1966 transit strike.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
Here's a former INTER-CITY Fishbowl on Anderson Avenue in Cliffside Park, way, way back in 1981, heading into "Noo Yawk" on a former ORANGE & BLACK route.

I have lived within several blocks of this photo location for 48 years; I knew such scenes well.....

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156417

["The Brown Bus With The Orange Band"]

I think I mentioned that when I was a young'un, I lived west of an outdoor garage that housed Inter-City Fishbowls when not in operation, in Manhattan, across from the old Civil Jail where Mike Quill was thrown into during the nasty and bitter 1966 transit strike.

W.B.:

Yup, I remember you mentioned this interesting "living arrangement" quite awhile ago; I would imagine that outdoor garage which you mentioned is long, long gone.

Growing up in the 1960's, INTER-CITY's #97 ran right by our old apartment house in Union City (13th St. & Hudson Boulevard); I recall the #97's being Old Looks, ACF-BRILL C-44's, and WHITES (two models)

These colorful buses, intermingling with the NHBL's #1's and #5's (assorted Old Looks/MACKS/WHITES), are what got Your's Truly hooked on buses, when he was only a about 6 months old! (I used to get a kick out of hearing Mom retell this!) Wink

These days, its only NJT's insipid, ho-hum shoeboxes (NABIs) running on the former NHBL routes.....yawwwwnnnnn......... Sad

"NYO:

["5-NEW YORK"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a former INTER-CITY first generation Fishbowl heading for the Lincoln Tunnel (running on the #45), back in 1981.....

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156411

["Inter-City Lines"]

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we have three Fishbowls sunning themselves between chores in front of the ex-ORANGE & BLACK garage on Fairview; though MAPLEWOOD's paint scheme wasn't all that eye-catching, it was still better than NJT's (yeccch!) "dip")........ Razz

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156421

["Maplewood Equipment Co."]
B53RICH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

As always, appreciate the historical, "in depth" stats you provide!Wink

Though I've mentioned this elsewhere here in the past, I cannot help imagining an Old Look sporting batwings....now THAT would have been a SIGHT!!!!!!!! Shocked

IMHO, I think there were several reasons why the batwings eventually fell out of favor, none the least the expense of replacing the florescent tubes when they burned out.

Too, overall maintenece of the "wings" themselves, perhaps more of a cost factor.....

"NYO"

There was actually one. I had seen a picture back during the late 70's of an Old Look with batwings that was assigned to a senior community in Florida. The batwings were placed above the standee windows, not covered. Instead of ads, the name of the community were displayed. Sorry I never saved that picture. I did a web search with no results, perhaps someone else would be more successful.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B53RICH:

Appreciate this info; man, that had to be one EYE-CATHING bus, to say the least! Shocked

IMHO, I think that the main reason that batwings were not installed on Old Looks (or MACKS) is that, by the time that the batwings were becoming commonplace, the Old Looks then in service (at least those in New York) were soon to be retired.

Still, it would have been QUITE interesting to see Old Looks sporting batwings, especially at night..... Wink

"NYO"

["GM"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got any info on this (MTA) bus?

NEVER saw this one before..... Shocked Shocked

www.erictb.info/componyc.jpg

["MTA"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I remember you mentioned this interesting "living arrangement" quite awhile ago; I would imagine that outdoor garage which you mentioned is long, long gone.

Growing up in the 1960's, INTER-CITY's #97 ran right by our old apartment house in Union City (13th St. & Hudson Boulevard); I recall the #97's being Old Looks, ACF-BRILL C-44's, and WHITES (two models)

These colorful buses, intermingling with the NHBL's #1's and #5's (assorted Old Looks/MACKS/WHITES), are what got Your's Truly hooked on buses, when he was only a about 6 months old! (I used to get a kick out of hearing Mom retell this!) Wink

These days, its only NJT's insipid, ho-hum shoeboxes (NABIs) running on the former NHBL routes.....yawwwwnnnnn......... Sad

"NYO:

["5-NEW YORK"]

No, that outdoor garage is still around. Only it now houses those NJT buses when not in operation, and the whole area is fenced on both streets.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Wow, that "outdoor garage" is STILL in use?? Shocked

The one bus storage area that always comes to my mind (when recalling the old "Port-of-Authority") was the one to the rear of the Gothic church (I know that lot has long since been built over) Sad

Too, I well recall the buses stored between runs under the terminal's approach ramps.......

"NYO"

["Port-Of-Authority"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per my comments in my previous posting:

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154497

This timeless 1972 photo indeed oozes nostalga; note the R&T Fishbowls in the lot to the rear of the church, the PS/TNJ "Bison", and a host of other interesting, now-classic buses (an INTER-CITY Fishbowl can just be glimpsed on the extreme left).......

["Ride The Red & Tan Lines"]
B53RICH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got any info on this (MTA) bus?

NEVER saw this one before..... Shocked Shocked

www.erictb.info/componyc.jpg

["MTA"]

That's a photo shop.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B55RICH:

THANK YOU for confirming this! Wink

I had a VERY, VERY strong suspicion that this was photoshopped image, but, not being "in the know" regarding the current MTA fleet, I could not be 100% sure.

In any event, picturing modern transit coaches sporting batwings sure helps to make them a bit more interesting (at least from an enthusiast's point of view!) Very Happy

"NYO"

["Bus-O-Rama"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across this timeless (and wonderfully nostalgic!) "Noo Yawk"* batwing photo...... Wink

https://flickr.com/photos/eddie-chicago-railfan/4484581043

["ta"]

*(looks to be taken at South Ferry, if I'm correct)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 32 of 70

Jump to: