BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Club Transport, Surface Transit, TARS, etc.......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

You're the man for this:

When the graffiti/vandalism epidemic began to (slowly at first) take hold in the late 1960's/early 1970's, were the MaBSTOA routes feeling more of the vandalism spree, or was it more felt on the "Tee-Yay"/"Em-Tee-Yay" routes (especially Brooklyn and Queens)

As we've discussed previously elsewhere, the IRT, at least at the onset, was hit particularly hard by the graffiti blitz, which, sadly, spread to both the BMT and IND.

I know, I was there........ Sad
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"PRISTINE IN DA BRONX" (for now.....)

Gun Hill Rd., 1973.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?57233

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washington Plaza, 1973.

Childish, undecipherable, unsightly scrawlings tagging first-generation Fishbowl #677.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153382

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"NO RESPECT" whatsoever for this sorry-looking Brooklyn "Dangerfield" (#9060), back in 1981.......... Sad

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154949

W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B.:

You're the man for this:

When the graffiti/vandalism epidemic began to (slowly at first) take hold in the late 1960's/early 1970's, were the MaBSTOA routes feeling more of the vandalism spree, or was it more felt on the "Tee-Yay"/"Em-Tee-Yay" routes (especially Brooklyn and Queens)

As we've discussed previously elsewhere, the IRT, at least at the onset, was hit particularly hard by the graffiti blitz, which, sadly, spread to both the BMT and IND.

I think it'd be safe to say it was . . . ahem . . . a draw. However, I lived in the heart of Manhattan during all this, so that was all I saw around me.
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......strange, that, many decades ago, there were those (including the VERY vocal and VERY anti-El Mayor La Guardia) who though that once the "antiquated els" came down, formerly "blighted" areas would suddenly enter a new and brighter era.

Strange, when you think that all of the old Manhattan Els are now long-gone gone (as well as El lines in Brooklyn) and yet violent crimes are increasingly rampant UNDERGROUND on the subways.

CRIME is CRIME, and tearing down an elevated rapid transit line is no guarantee that a "blighted" area is suddenly going to make a magical change for the better....

Makes one wonder if LaGuardia had stock in GM and/or its Yellow Coach subsidiary. "Antiquated" was one party line to sell the drive to eliminate streetcars; passenger safety (boarding and deboarding from the middle of the street as opposed to the curb on buses) was another.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
W.B.:

You're the man for this:

I think it'd be safe to say it was . . . ahem . . . a draw. However, I lived in the heart of Manhattan during all this, so that was all I saw around me.

W.B.:

I first got SLAMMED head-on by the subway graffiti epidemic during the summer of 1980; the PATH tubes were out for the entire summer, due to a strike.

That's when I began getting to know the subways even more than previously; in the mornings, after arriving at the PABT (then being gutted for it's......ahem....."improvements"......(via an ex-ORANGE & BLACK Fishbowl, or occasionally, a 4104) I would board the "CC" for the trip downtown to Chambers St.

I fell in love with the R-10's all over again (they were noisy, grimy, and OLD, just what a good subway car should be!) but the graffiti that marred them, in and out, was beyond disgusting.

At Chambers, I would transfer (at Park Place) to the IRT #2 or #3 downtown train, which I rode to Wall St.

I would always board either an R-12/R-14/R-15! Very Happy

Going back uptown after I knocked off for the day, I would take either the #2 or #3 back uptown to TSQ (again, searching out the oldest cars in the consist!), and then walk underground to the PABT's convoluted, plywood-paneled, "mouse-in-the-maze" corridors, to try to locate my "Joisey"-bound bus.

Between the graffiti and the numerous cars with OOS doors and painted-over windows, it indeed wasn't 1960! Sad

As I've said before elsewhere, while I DO NOT miss the ugliness of the graffiti, I indeed DO miss those wonderfully old, noisy, and grimy CLASSIC subway cars! Wink

Cannot believe it's now almost 42 years ago, now (and Your's Truly was but 23, and had BLACK hair!)Shocked

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's yet another bedraggled "Dangerfield" (#9065) that, clearly, has gotten NO RESPECT (1981)....... Sad

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154953

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

............and, in this 1981 scene (5th Ave. & 94th St., Brooklyn) the "NO RESPECT" order of the day, sadly, continues...... Sad

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154434

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another vintage (albeit depressing) photo (1978), snapped at Grand & Driggs.

Fishbowl #8070 is indeed in need of some TLC (note missing dash ad frame, missing side roller curtain, and minus a portion of its batwing ad)

Also, note the old corner store, now walled-in with cinderblocks, adorned with graffiti.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154872

MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Surface Transportation System "shortie", a GM TDH-3610, #60 working the routes in Westchester County

s-l1600 (15).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.43 KB
 Viewed:  5310 Time(s)

s-l1600 (15).jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....that SURFACE "shortie" is one BEAUTIFUL bus; looks almost like a CORGI replica! Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though this MaBSTOA Fishbowl has, sadly, been "tagged" by one or more "urban artists" ("artists" with TOO much free time on their hands), it is still a "miniscule" issue, when one compares it to the massive graffiti "blitzes" suffered by the subway fleet.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154784

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully, SURFACE and its fleet were long off the streets before the graffiti issue became widespread, and "Da South Bronx" became an urban war zone.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154548

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Em-Tee-Yay" Fishbowl #8007 at the Castleton Garage, back in 1978 (note missing ad panel/rear curtain box)

Like the SIRT fleet, Staten Island buses were (thankfully) pretty much spared the garish waves of graffiti that scarred the transit system in the other boroughs; the most graffiti on Staten Island, that i can recall, were on SIRT station signboards.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154663

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 10 of 16

Jump to: