BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.....and leave the driving to us......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......one cannot help but wonder of just how integral "local" highway coach bus services are/were after rail passenger services vanished, and TRAILWAYS also disappeared.

Senior citizens who no longer drive would certainly be greatly affected.

Quite a few areas in the US today have neither rail or bus service....a far, far cry to what the situation was like, 60 years ago.......

"NYO"
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Also, I well recall PS lines (heading into NYC, such as the #165 and the #166) allowed "local" passsengers to board; ditto, ORANGE & BLACK.

An exception was ORANGE & BLACK's rush-hours only "RIVER ROAD EXPRESS" (today, NJT's re-constructed #159R); inbound buses carried NO local passengers (after the final stop in Cliffside Park on Gorge Road, the buses ran "closed door" into the PABT.

Outbound, it was the reverse; no "local" riders could board anywhere along the route......

"NYO"

Congratulations! Your youth is showing. In my memory of the 1940's (and I could be mistaken), bus routes were either intrastate or interstate. If in Greenville, Jersey City, on either Bergen Avenue or Hudson Blvd, heading home to Manhattan late at night common sense said, "Take the first bus coming." If interstate, we had to stay on (no alighting in the Garden State) and cross the Hudson River. If intrastate, we used the Tube at Journal Square
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:

When you can still recall b/w television and taking rides on the old 69th St. Ferry, you KNOW you ain't no kid for certain! Wink

Back in the 30's and into the 40's, PSNJ used different colors for intrastate and interstate buses.

The "local" buses were orange and yellow (like the streetcars), while the others were a reddish color and yellowish-white.

Thee colors disappeared by the later 1940's, when PS adopted the new postwar gray......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of the suburban bus operations, I well recall the big, bulky NCR registers used on suburban buses.

Oddly, PS, back in the 60's, was also using NCR registers on their "local" buses; all other "local" buses in the area used the old glass-top JOHNSON fareboxes (oddly, PSNJ did use fareboxes on the City Subway PCC's)

I can recall the old NCR registers in use through the 1980's, and I can still hear the distinctive noise they produced as a ticket was being printed up! Wink

I have one of these hulking relics displayed in the collection today; it is ex-PSNJ! Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recalling, now RED & TAN's (HUDSON BUS) old "99s"

This elongated route began at the PABT, entered NJ (via the Lincoln Tunnel), then traveled south through Hudson County, then crossed the Bayonne Bridge, then had several stops in Staten Island, then crossed the Outerbridge, and continued on south to Keansburg.

Here's a notice out of a 1964 tt:

"BUSES WILL PICK UP AND DISCHARGE INTERSTATE PASSENGERS AT ANY POINT ALONG ROUTE"

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recalling, now RED & TAN's (HUDSON BUS) old "99s"

This elongated route began at the PABT, entered NJ (via the Lincoln Tunnel), then traveled south through Hudson County, then crossed the Bayonne Bridge, then had several stops in Staten Island, then crossed the Outerbridge, and continued on south to Keansburg.

Here's a notice out of a 1964 tt:

"BUSES WILL PICK UP AND DISCHARGE INTERSTATE PASSENGERS AT ANY POINT ALONG ROUTE"

"NYO"

Wow...would love to see a timetable of that route, if you could post it. I wonder how its time compared with those of the New York-Keansburg-Long Branch company on its NJTP expresses between New York and Keansburg?
I doubt anybody would take the 99S the entire route, other than a 'fan'... Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

If Your's Truly had a scanner, I would have been only to happy to share this (and others!) with you! Very Happy

Gate 64 was where the "99s" departed.

Partial listing of stops in Staten Island included:

BARON HIRSCH

HALLORON HOSPITAL

SEA VIEW HOSPITAL

STATEN ISLAND AIRPORT (and auction); connections here for all points in Staten Island

ELTINGVILLE STATION (SIRT)

Back in NJ, via the Outerbridge:

KEYPORT

KEANSBURG (connections here for Leonardo Naval Depot, Fort Hancock, Red Bank, Atlantic Highlands, Long Branch.

(recall, in 1964, both Keansburg and Atlantic Highlands were served by the CNJ, via Jersey City and Newark)

In Jersey City; the "99s" used:

PALISADE AVENUE

BEACON AVENUE

BALDWIN AVENUE

PAVONIA AVENUE

HUDSON BOULEVARD

One footnote states:

"ONLY INTERSTATE PASSENGERS CARRIED"

Yup, talk about ancient history, folks...... Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This brief notation is via a 1973 "NORTHEAST COACH LINES" tt:

".....Northeast Coach Lines accepts local fares between Cedar Grove and Newton, NJ......"

Buses were assigned to "Tracks" 124 and 125, at the PABT.

Offices were located at 419 Anderson Avenue, Fairview (this was the old ORANGE & BLACK garage, still used today by NJT)

According to the tt, there were direct buses to ski resorts (Vernon Valley, Snow Bowl, and Great Gorge during ski season.Buses ran on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays, leaving the PABT at 8:30, and returning to New York at 7 in the evening.

A suburban Fishbowl appears on the tt cover (looks to be an INTER-CITY bus).......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to a 1964 LINCOLN TRANSIT Co. tt I have, an "f" denoted a flag stop.

"D"= (OPERATE INTO TOWN TO DISCHARGE PASSENGERS ONLY ON REQUEST)

There were also stops at Elizabeth (Anna & Spring) and, also, at Newark Airport.

In NYC, buses served the PABT, the Bronx (Grand Concourse), and Queens.......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This brief notation is via a 1973 "NORTHEAST COACH LINES" tt:

".....Northeast Coach Lines accepts local fares between Cedar Grove and Newton, NJ......"

Buses were assigned to "Tracks" 124 and 125, at the PABT.

Offices were located at 419 Anderson Avenue, Fairview (this was the old ORANGE & BLACK garage, still used today by NJT)

According to the tt, there were direct buses to ski resorts (Vernon Valley, Snow Bowl, and Great Gorge during ski season.Buses ran on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays, leaving the PABT at 8:30, and returning to New York at 7 in the evening.

A suburban Fishbowl appears on the tt cover (looks to be an INTER-CITY bus).......

"NYO"

NYO—
The name of that company used to intrigue me…it reminded me of then, Northeast Airlines, and had a connotation of being a “long-distance” bus line, which it really wasn’t. Especially seeing one of its destination’s was “Newfoundland” (NJ😉)…
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Way back in the 1960's, we used to take a LAKELAND bus out of the "Port-of-Authority" up to Warwick, when we'd visit relatives at their bungalow in Highland Lakes (Lake Wanda); I recall both Old Look and Fishbowl suburbans.

This was the longest "suburban" run Your's Truly ever took; I understand that NJT operates this route today, last I had heard.

Actually, the other "long haul" suburban run (PSNJ) we took was to visit an uncle and cousins, who had relocated "down the shore", back in the 60's.

Originally, we used to take a CNJ train (NY&LB) out of Jersey City; after the Aldene Plan (1967) closed down Jersey City operations, we took a PS bus out of JSQ (after the 1967 riots, the folks were leery about going to catch the CNJ train in Newark)

I recall 4104's and 4106's (I used to pretend we were on a GREYHOUND bus!) Wink

Dang, it's all so long ago, now........

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another rather longish ride on a suburban, was riding Suburban Transit all the way from The Port to Trenton…most people took the faster and more frequent
train between those points…
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Another rather longish ride on a suburban, was riding Suburban Transit all the way from The Port to Trenton…most people took the faster and more frequent
train between those points…

traildriver:

After a close relative relocated down to New Brunswick in 1964, the first occasion we visited, we took a SUBURBAN bus out of the PABT (I recall we were late getting into New Brunswick, as we encountered quite a bit of fog on the way down, on that Friday evening)

Return trip that Sunday was via the PRR's ancient, owl-eyed electrics to Newark, the PRR/PATH joint service "K" cars to JSQ, and a NHBL Old Look back to Union City.

Barring that first trip down, we never went by SUBURBAN again, instead taking NHBL to JSQ, and then by rail the rest of the way (both ways).....dang, I'd LOVE to go back and ride that old rolling stock again! Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a SUBURBAN TRANSIT tt (for TURNPIKE EXPRESS BUSES) (dated 1964), with a 4104 gracing the cover.

"BUSES SERVING: NEW YORK AND NEW BRUNSWICK, FRANKLIN PARK, KENDALL PARK, KINGSTON, PRINCETON, LAWRENCEVILLE, AND TRENTON"

Round trip between NYC and New Brunswick: $2.00

Round trip between NYC and TRENTON: $3.60

(Trips designated "BK": to Brunswick Knolls only)

(Trips designated "FB": to Franklin Blvd only)

"Buses depart New Long Haul Upper Level: Gates 119-120-121"

NYC PHONE: LO5-1793
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a SUBURBAN TRANSIT tt (for TURNPIKE EXPRESS BUSES) (dated 1964), with a 4104 gracing the cover.

"BUSES SERVING: NEW YORK AND NEW BRUNSWICK, FRANKLIN PARK, KENDALL PARK, KINGSTON, PRINCETON, LAWRENCEVILLE, AND TRENTON"

Round trip between NYC and New Brunswick: $2.00

Round trip between NYC and TRENTON: $3.60

(Trips designated "BK": to Brunswick Knolls only)

(Trips designated "FB": to Franklin Blvd only)

"Buses depart New Long Haul Upper Level: Gates 119-120-121"

NYC PHONE: LO5-1793

That's where their ridership was...the towns on NJ-27 where PRR didn't go, other than the 'Dinky' shuttle to Princeton...

Last edited by traildriver on Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 30 of 73

Jump to: