BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTA bus shot at (upper Manhatan)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: MTA bus shot at (upper Manhatan) Reply with quote

Incident took place at E. 125th St. & Lexington.

No injuries, but the driver was being treated for possible shock.

Will this senseless violence insanity ever end.....

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so too, but . . .

Given the paucity of photos "back then" of the old TB line, one wonders if that factor was why - the possibility of violence and all.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
I hope so too, but . . .

Given the paucity of photos "back then" of the old TB line, one wonders if that factor was why - the possibility of violence and all.

W.B.:

That's a very good point to factor in, when discussing the very few old "TB" line photos we've seen.

Of course, back, then, the city, while having many issues (graffiti certainly being one of them), was certainly more "safe and sane" then today (at least, when compared to 2022), with multiple subway fires being ignited on purpose, people being shoved onto subway tracks, almost every day, and violence either on board the buses, or, directed at them........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the devastation that virtually destroyed the South Bronx back in the 70's, must also be reflected on.

One wonders how much more "targeted" MTA riders might have felt, now having to wait on the street for MaBSTOA buses, instead of standing either on a station platform (or inside a station house itself) waiting for a train, after the 3rd Avenue El was shut down......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......interesting to recall, that, even though crime and graffiti were indeed getting out of hand throughout the 1970's, if you go by the many hundreds of photos from that era, on nycsubway.org, transit buffs were little concerned (for the most part) about taking bus and subway photos throughout the borough.

Back in those days, it seemed, even though the Bronx and Brooklyn were both being particularly hit with much graffiti and crime, a large number of bus and subway photographs were being snapped in those very areas.

It's also important to recall that, nearly 50 years ago, that were still much in the way of variety and diversity in both the subway and bus fleets.

Today, with all the classic "railfan-window" SMEE equipment gone from the rails, and the Old Looks, Fishbowls, Flexies, RTS, and, even the GRUMMANS have now departed the streets (replaced with vehicles that more resemble giant milk cartons and mutated insects), unless one is a die-hard fan on modern MTA operations, it would seem indeed quite foolish to venture out into areas that are often just as dangerous by day as they are at night, simply to photograph transit vehicles.

I'm indeed fortunate that I had so many opportunities in decades past to truly ENJOY all that mass transit had to offer, without feeling I was risking my very life.........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyewitness News (4pm, ABC) reporter N.J. Burkett just had a very good interview with the driver of the bus involved in Sunday's shooting (a further report will air at 5)

"Frank" and his passengers are all lucky to be alive.

On a lighter note, "Frank" was wearing a cap I found very interesting; on the cap, it read:

"Ta & Mabstoa United"; was QUITE surprised to learn that this old "division" still had any usage into today's bus operations......I had thought that it had long since disappeared altogether......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Eyewitness News (4pm, ABC) reporter N.J. Burkett just had a very good interview with the driver of the bus involved in Sunday's shooting (a further report will air at 5)

"Frank" and his passengers are all lucky to be alive.

On a lighter note, "Frank" was wearing a cap I found very interesting; on the cap, it read:

"Ta & Mabstoa United"; was QUITE surprised to learn that this old "division" still had any usage into today's bus operations......I had thought that it had long since disappeared altogether......

"NYO"

Maybe that's a union-sponsored slogan...not MTA.

Years ago, when AA acquired TWA, they gave us caps celebrating the heritages of the recent merger...could be similar?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I was thinking along that avenue, too, but, honestly, was not all that sure sure.

It DID look twice, though, upon seeing what was on "Frank's" cap.

After all, outside of here at BusTalk, how often do you hear that colorful and historical old title? Wink

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: