BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The New York "bit players" we tend to ignore......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
How ironic that you mention SI getting "no respect"; I heard on 1010 WINS earlier that two SNL comics purchased the old "PVT. JOHN F. KENNEDY" (ex-SI ferry, entered service in 1965) and are planning to renovate her as a comedy club/nightspot.

A clip of one of their SI "skits" were heard, and, to say that their "stand-up" remarks, during a performance, were NOT at all complimentery to either SI, nor its police and fire departments, is an understatement.

No humor whatsoever, so far as I can see. Sad

I rest my case, that's all I can say, I rest my case.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
Too, it would have been interesting, to say the least, had FACCo not disappeared, and had ordered "Dangerfields"......

Something tells me any Flxies ordered would have ended up on FACL's two FACO Division Queens routes, #15 and #16. After all, that's where the Macks and Whites went, back in the early '50's . . .

W.B.:

I would certainly agree with you, here.

It's still a puzzlement (at least, to me) as to why FACCo even ordered the WHITE 1150-D-7's; given the fact that "Noo Yawk" was never a WHITE town, it would have made more sense for FACCo to have ordered additional GM's or MACKS.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
How ironic that you mention SI getting "no respect"; I heard on 1010 WINS earlier that two SNL comics purchased the old "PVT. JOHN F. KENNEDY" (ex-SI ferry, entered service in 1965) and are planning to renovate her as a comedy club/nightspot.

A clip of one of their SI "skits" were heard, and, to say that their "stand-up" remarks, during a performance, were NOT at all complimentery to either SI, nor its police and fire departments, is an understatement.

No humor whatsoever, so far as I can see. Sad

I rest my case, that's all I can say, I rest my case.

W.B.:

I do not know what is worse:

Insensitive, unthinking "comics" who use OFFENSIVE humor to be "funny", OR, those bubble-brained morons who laugh because they find such offensive entertainment HUMOROUS.

I'll take the great Jackie Gleason and "The Honeymooners", anyday, over today's so-called "comedians".........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:23 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If "Dangerfield" Flexies were "bit players" in "Noo Yawk", back in the day, then suburban models were indeed rare birds, indeed.

This Flex was operated by "PELHAM PARKWAY EXPRESS", back in 1972, was indeed a RARE specimen.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154544*

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)

*(Note the "COACH-MANHATTAN" roller curtain)

If I am not mistaken, I seem to recall (quite awhile ago) seeing a photo of a Flex New Look suburban at the GWB Terminal. back in the 1960's.

I cannot, for the life of me, recall what company operated it......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the first Fishbowls debuted in 1959, their huge windshields were their own.

With the Flex New Looks (the "Dangerfields"), however, it was obvious that their more modest windshields were clearly inspired by the postwar TWINS, simply on a larger scale.......

See:

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154551

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155536

W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If "Dangerfield" Flexies were "bit players" in "Noo Yawk", back in the day, then suburban models were indeed rare birds, indeed.

This Flex was operated by "PELHAM PARKWAY EXPRESS", back in 1972, was indeed a RARE specimen.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154544*

*(Note the "COACH-MANHATTAN" roller curtain)

If I am not mistaken, I seem to recall (quite awhile ago) seeing a photo of a Flex New Look suburban at the GWB Terminal. back in the 1960's.

I cannot, for the life of me, recall what company operated it......

"NYO"

Where I used to live, I got a glimpse of the buses going to "Joisey" via the Lincoln Tunnel as they left the PABT. In the late '70's some of those were suburban Flxies.

They were another bus maker, like GM, where they vacillated between 3 and 4 pieces for their rear windows. (Even with Flx, I went with the 4-piece.)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Here are some "Joisey" Flexie "Dangerfields" that you might remember (thinking back, I cannot believe how common these now-classic buses once were!) Shocked

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?157322

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155950 *

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155322 **

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155329

*Check out the other classics in this Lincoln Tunnel helix view from 1981 (you MIGHT have to squint a little to spot the 4104!) Wink

**The same 4104 is also just glimpsed here! Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why 1960's-era "Dangerfield" suburbans were so uncommon in these parts (according to the "BUS WORLD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BUSES"):

"....of the 13, 121 New Look buses produced by Flxible, only 128 were identified as suburbans......"

".....the first 27 were specially designed for the Atomic Energy Commission's Richland, Washington facility. The second-largest group (25), built for the SCRTD, were also the last built......"

According to the aforementioned book, these ("first generation") suburban Flex New Looks were only built between 1964 and 1965.

It was not until circa-1976 that large numbers of Flex New Looks (transit and suburban) began to appear in "Joisey" (NJDOT).......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a rare view from June, 1980.....

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153131

My dad, sadly, passed away a month after this photo was taken, showing a "BERGEN AVENUE IBOA" Flex New Look transit near the Holland Tunnel exit (Canal St.)

I remember that the PATH tubes were on strike throughout that summer, and I was now taking the bus into the PABT, and then the subway down to Wall Street (I used to ride the old R-10's downtown on the "CC" each morning!) Wink

As "BERGEN AVENUE" was a "local" Jersey City company, I'm guessing here that the bus seen here was running in a special service, during the PATH strike.

Also, be sure to check out the vintage signage, billboards, and ads in this view....

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why 1960's-era "Dangerfield" suburbans were so uncommon in these parts (according to the "BUS WORLD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BUSES"):

"....of the 13, 121 New Look buses produced by Flxible, only 128 were identified as suburbans......"

".....the first 27 were specially designed for the Atomic Energy Commission's Richland, Washington facility. The second-largest group (25), built for the SCRTD, were also the last built......"

According to the aforementioned book, these ("first generation") suburban Flex New Looks were only built between 1964 and 1965.

It was not until circa-1976 that large numbers of Flex New Looks (transit and suburban) began to appear in "Joisey" (NJDOT).......

"NYO"

It was one of those '60's Flx suburbans I saw passing by, besides the truckload the NJDOT ordered. That '60's one must've been one that was sold to whoever was running it.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

I only wish we could find out more about the few "first generation" Flex suburbans (1960's) that once ran in the area.

As I said earlier, I can recall seeing an old photo of one at the GWB terminal (Rockland Coaches? Red & Tan?) quite awhile ago.

As i had also stated previously, Flexie "Dangerfields" were not to be seen in my area of "Joisey" until the NJDOT* influx of the mid-1970's.......

"NYO"

*The later NJT scheme did NOTHING at all for these buses, IMHO.

Then again, I was never enthusiastic over NJT's choice of paint schemes..... Razz
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very first "Dangerfields" Flex New Looks in my area appeared on the "#22 HILLSIDE"; this route (once operated by PS in the distant past) was also operated by B&G (seen here) and FranMar, prior to the ACADEMY takeover of the route (at the time, the line only went as far as 14th St. Hoboken; later, it was extended down to the terminal)

Mom and I both used the #22 for many years; interestingly, besides using Fishbowls (for a time) some of the Flexies on this line had rear doors, while others did not.

This (1981) photo was taken at Nungessers (1981); I've lived 10 minutes north of here for nearly 50 years; back then, it was a great place for bus-watching! Wink

Note the since removed) old line pole (on the left) that once supported PSNJ streetcar and ASV wires.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?157320

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a FranMar Fishbowl (on the #22, heading south to Hoboken) at 66th St. & Bergenline Avenue, back in 1981.

Note #107 also has no rear door (and, on this busy line, it was SORELY needed!)

An ex-PS/TNJ Fishbowl (either on the #21 or the #44) is just behind.

Just off to the left, was the long-gone Allessi's Hobby Shop, where Your's Truly was indeed a FREQUENT customer! Wink

"LITTLE MARCY'S" (on the east side of Bergenline) was a long-established store that was quite popular with the ladies in my family.

It, also, has long-since vanished.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155424

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Look again for that 4104!) Wink

Here we have a "HUDSON BUS" Flex New Look (suburban) at the Lincoln Tunnel helix, back in 1981, holding down a "4" run.

For many, many years, this was an NHBL line, and the buses used, were, as a rule, all equipped with rear doors......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153644

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting (1978) shot of a TNJ/NJDOT Flex suburban at an unidentified garage yard.

Note the "Buffalo" just behind, raised up for some underbody work.....

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155337

(courtesy: nycsubwaay.org)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 36 of 60

Jump to: