BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jerusalem's "PABT"/Desert Buses/Etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
..........ever notice that, during very big holiday "getaway", the media always focuses on the airports and the highways?

AMTRAK is mentioned once in a blue moon here; but, buses, never.

Of course, most travelers either fly or drive nowadays, BUT, you KNOW that there are STILL some who take the BUS to travel during the holidays.

VERY occasionally, Penn Station will be briefly seen; the PABT, not at all.

IMHO, it shows just how "obscure" and out-of-fashion long-distance bus travel is these day, in the grand scheme of things.

Here's hoping that the long-haul companies (what remains of them) do some decent business, this 2021 holiday season (and, of course, a VERY happy, health, and SAFE Thanksgiving to one and all!) Wink

"NYO"

(As I had mentioned previously, it will be interesting to see just how much the long-haul carriers will do in 2022)

Back in the good ol' days, the 1960's, I recall the tv camera's recording the huge throngs of traveler's on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving queued up around the adjacent Greyhound and Trailways ticket plaza's in The Port....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Yup, indeed, those WERE the Good Old Days, the days of SCENICRUISERS, 4104's, 4106's, and Eagles! (not to mention well-dressed holiday travelers!) Wink

That today's news media, at holiday time, focuses only on the roads and the airports (VERY seldom any coverage of AMTRAK crowds at Penn Station) and virtually never shows the PABT (or even any mention of bus travel) is quite telling, IMHO, of just how "out of the mainstream" highway bus travel is these days........ahhh, to think of the way it was, some 50-60 years ago........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....I'm still QUITE curious as to the future of the PABT; as I had mentioned previously, it's really anyone's guess these days whether the present terminal will be expanded, or will a totally new facility be constructed at another location.

IMHO, I still am leaning towards a new tube/tubes being built for buses only, if a new terminal is built; however, even if the the present terminal is reained and expanded, the strangulated Lincoln Tunnel could not possibly absorb any more traffic bus or otherwise)

But, then again, the cost of building a new bus-only tunnel to NJ would be truly astronomical; too, think of how many years it would take to build a new terminal AND, possibly, a new tunnel.

Certainly, such a grandoise plan would only benefit the commuters/passengers of the future.....

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the late '60's, when I got started in the business, I worked at the Trailways ticket plaza. I recall the feeling of dread, as I came up the escalator from the subway on the way to work, seeing the wall to wall throngs of passenger's lined up to buy tickets. There was no such thing as online sales in that era, and you couldn't even buy bus tickets from a travel agency.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Hard for younger folks to even imagine such a time!

When I was growing up, and Mom and I took the NHBL #5 from our corner (usually an Old Look, sometimes a WHITE!) into the "Port-of-Authority" to see all the Christmas displays and store windows, several times each Christmas season, I well remember the big (well-dressed) crowds around the GREYHOUND an TRAILWAYS ticket offices.

Back then, the "Port" was indeed an exciting (and SAFE!) place to be!

Mom always liked the huge ornaments hanging down from the ceilings, and the big "SEASON'S GREETINGS" and "MERRY CHRISTMAS" banners dangling down, giving a truly festive air to the thronged concourse!

It's all so long ago, now.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..........recalling, now, the old TRAILWAYS agent (with tin litho buses displayed in the window!) on 32nd St. in Union City, back in the 1960's and into the 1970's.

Also, the small GREYHOUND station on Sip Avenue in Journal Square, opposite the old PSNJ terminal.....and...of course, the old GREYHOUND terminal opposite the late, great, Pennsylvania Station, complete with a classic "running dog" neon sign.

Another, time, another place, another world....a colorful world long, long gone....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....though TRAILWAYS has long since vanished, "Omnibus La Cubana" still calls at 32nd St. in Union City.......

https://www.facebook.com/lacubanabuslines
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of (modern) highway coaches, here's a page on the PREVOST "H"-Series........

https://www.prevostcar.com/coach/h3-45
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought......

Though, of course, at one time, GM also built buses in Canada, the old company itself was (and STILL is, at least, in historical context) as American as Mom's apple pie, few (except for bus enthusiasts) think of MCI as a company that has its roots in Canada.

Of course, the iconic MCI highway coaches have been so much an integral part of the American scene for the past several decades, it is hard to imagine them as anything BUT "true blue" American coaches.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Coach_Industries
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......recall, back in the day, when "The Hound" finally absorbed "Big Red" and then became THE highway coach company with no (bus) competition to be concerned about?

Today, GREYHOUND is no longer the prestigious independent long-haul bus company that it once was, for so many years.

In all honesty, however, long before the COVID struck, I knew that the once-mighty GREYHOUND had indeed fallen upon evil times.

They say you cannot go home again; this rings so very true for GREYHOUND; the world has changed so drastically during the past 50-60 years that it would impossible for the "glory days" to return......sadly, they are gone forever. Sad

The wonderful (VERY dated!) softcover book, dating back to 1985, "AMERICAN BUSES" (David Jacobs) dedicates its firt two chapters to GREYHOUND and "BIG RED".

The colorful photos show to companies that, at the time (at least in photo) looked solid, prosperous, and enduring (appearances are indeed deceiving, in so many ways!)

To see the still-proud GREYHOUND and TRAILWAYS fleets, as they were well over 30 years ago, truly twang the chords of nostalgia....how much we all took for granted, back when such buses were still so commonplace.

At least, us older fellows STILL have wonderful memories of that long-lot era of highway buses past.....Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flixbus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhound_Lines
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the "Toronto Sun".......

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/gunter-the-real-reasons-behind-greyhounds-demise
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
From the "Toronto Sun".......

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/gunter-the-real-reasons-behind-greyhounds-demise

That was 3.5 years ago…
Wonder how he views it, now??
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not thought about the"Port-of-Authority" for some while now....

"Expansion", it seems, is the byword regarding a rebuilt and upgraded PABT.

Key, I think, is getting the buses to and from the city into NJ, no easy task when one considers that the Lincoln Tunnel is at the strangulation point as I type these words, at rush hours.

Think of how long it would take to build a new set of trans-Hudson tubes, reserved for buses only.

And, where would the entrance/exit portals be located, with virtually no real estate available, on either side of the river?

Realistically, there is no easy (nor economical) solution to the problem of rebuilding the present terminal, or the building of a new facility.

Even building a new underground annex to the present terminal would not be an option, given the complex ganglia of subway tunnels and utility lines,mains, conduits, etc.

So, what would a possible solution be?

Honestly, I am sure I do not know...........

"NYO"

["28 NYC-PORT-OF-AUTHORITY EXP"]
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought........

Given the fact that the overwhelming number of buses running into the PABT are operated by NJT, it stands that, at either a new or expanded terminal would largely be an NJT operation.

NJT, I would imagine, would (should) have a strong voice in any talks/planning of a future PABT, as their buses more than dominate the present facility.

Just now thinking of the "Port" 50-60 years ago, when a large number of now-defunct suburban carriers fronm New Jersey were carrying heavy loads of commuters into the city each workday.

Some of the NJ carriers:

PSNJ

ORANGE & BLACK

INTER-CITY

SOMERSET

DE CAMP

LAKELAND

NORTHEAST

RED & TAN

MANHATTAN LINES

WESTWOOD COACHES

NORTH HUDSON BOULEVARD

SUBURBAN

LINCOLN TRANSIT

It's all so long ago, now.............

"NYO"

["RIDE THE BLUE COACH"]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: