BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Avenue B & East Broadway Rollsigns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Avenue B & East Broadway Rollsigns Reply with quote

Two distinct rollsigns.

The first is from the 300 series Mack C-41. Note the four readings for the M-8.

The second is from the GM T6H-4523A and T6H-5308A. Note that this group not only has the two Avenue B routes, M-8 and M-9, but also their express route, M-7.

Two key readings are missing from both: M-9 Chinatown; Yonkers Raceway;

AveB1954.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  176.2 KB
 Viewed:  3446 Time(s)

AveB1954.jpg

s-l1600 (30).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.71 KB

s-l1600 (30).jpg

s-l1600 (31).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  143.24 KB

s-l1600 (31).jpg

W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fonts on the Mack roll sign remind me of those on the roll signs for the GM Old Look 7000's that were used on the TA's Manhattan routes of M-1 Madison-Chambers; M-3 49th-50th Crosstown; M-7 60th Street; M-11 York Avenue; M-13 Journal Building; and M-15 First & Second Avenues (I.I.N.M., it wasn't until those buses first arrived in 1957 that there was any acknowledgement on those front roll signs that the heretofore separate routes that ran through First and Second, respectively, were combined into one route bearing the latter number, as was already established on paper transfers as early as 1954 when the M-13 Journal Building shuttle - considered by the TA to be a "branch" of the M-15 - was first launched, thus reviving that lower number years after the one-way conversions of First and Second; given that a 1955 photo of Macks at South Ferry both listed an 'M-13 First Avenue' on their front). Which entity would have made that roll sign, pray tell?

The type on the later model in red background, meanwhile, was done by Transign, which has to be my favorite set of fonts for such roll signs. Ironic that they could have called their express bus M-7 when there were already (in the years up to 1974) two other such routes - the ex-NYCO Broadway-Columbus-Lenox route, and the TA's 65th Street line (which became M29 in 1974, and M50 around 1989).
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

TALK ABOUT THE HOLY GRAIL!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

Sure wish I had these relics displayed on one of my "transit walls"!!!! Wink

Each one of the old rollsigns that were once as commonplace as clouds in the sky had its own story to tell; each one was indeed an integral part of transit history.

To think of the many thousands of such signs being consigned to scrap, often still intact when said bus was destroyed; transit history lost forever. Crying or Very sad

THANK YOU for sharing he pics of thee rare artifacts...... Wink

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: