BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baseball buses/rapid transit (then and now)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
......on September 24, 1969, Mets fans have had QUITE a bit to cheer about; the Amazins clinched the Eastern Division title at Shea (there sure were a lot of HAPPY fans jamming the #7 IRT trains that day!) Very Happy

As I type these word's, the Mets are (again) floundering; they've lost several games in a row, now; the Bronx Bombers, on the other hand, have really snapped back from their recent slump.

Bad enough to lose several game, but getting CLOBBERED is something else, altogether....oh, well.....maybe next season will be a brighter one for Mets fans.....

Like I said, seesaw. And Ernie Kovacs' "nothing in moderation" motto.

Interestingly, the Chicago Cubs (over whom the Mets ultimately triumphed in the Eastern Division in '69) was managed at the time by former Brooklyn Dodgers and New York (baseball) Giants manager Leo Durocher. In his tenure, the Windy City's version of "lovable losers" never got lower than third in the standings after acquiring ace pitcher Fergie Jenkins in late '66.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Nothing in moderation"........

Well, that certainly pertains to the Mets, especially this season; they're either on a multiple-game winning streak, or a multiple-game losing streak, not much of an "in-between" for certain!

The Mets, IMHO, truly live up to their nickname, "The Amazins'"; either fans are AMAZED at their comebacks and victories, OR their AMAZED at how poorly they are performing, and how many games they have lost as of late.

As I had stated earlier, it takes MUCH in the way of RESILIENCE and LOYALTY to be a Mets fan.....well, I guess that makes their victories all the more sweeter (and Amazin') when they happen.......Wink

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We now see the opposite poles in the New York baseball scene really become clearer and play out in a big way: Last night, the Yankees tied the Red Sox in the wild card . . . whilst the Mets were officially eliminated from the playoffs. As I keep saying . . . if one NYC team is on a roll, the other is headed downhill faster than a slalom at the Winter Olympics. (And if that weren't enough, on Mets radio we've lost Howie Rose for the season while he undergoes surgery.)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

I think it was a given that the Mets were going to be eliminated from the playoffs; last night, it was the same old scenario, repeated over the past several days.....the Yankees win, and the Mets lose. Sad

Thanks for the Howie Rose update; I was not aware of this.

I'm hoping that the Amazins' will win at least ONE game before they say "farewell" until next season (which, as ALL Mets fans are hoping) will be a much more successful on than 2021's.

Well, all we can do at present is to WAIT and HOPE, and try to look forward to the 2022 Mets season...... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ad to share this little gem, which I just heard a few moments ago on 1010 WINS News Radio, regarding the Mets.....

".....this is a day when Mets fans say to Yankees fans, 'Don't complain about YOUR team'....."

'nuff said.....

'NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Just ad to share this little gem, which I just heard a few moments ago on 1010 WINS News Radio, regarding the Mets.....

".....this is a day when Mets fans say to Yankees fans, 'Don't complain about YOUR team'....."

'nuff said.....

'NYO"

Yankees fans' complaints if the Bombers aren't doing too well have more to do with their history and heritage - to say nothing of their 27 world championships and countless pennants. In short, different from what Mets fans have had to go through for nearly 60 years as often as not. I myself don't have a dog (or cat) in this fight, I just observe objectively, which is why I bring up the whole "seesaw" business.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

I'm like you; I am an "observer" on the sidelines; outside of thoroughbred horse racing, no one is less a sports fan* than Your's Truly, and, in fact, the Mets are the ONLY team I root for, primarily because they are (and always were and will be) underdogs in the baseball world (being an "underdog" of sorts myself, it's only natural, I guess, that I've "rooted" for the Mets for so long now)

Just heard briefly (on 1010 WINS) a few minutes ago, that the Mets (what else) are trailing.....BIG surprise, here! Rolling Eyes

I think the reason that my ol' pal "Mr. Met", with his ever-present smile, is STILL smiling, despite the carnage, is because, soon, there will be no more games to lose this season, and he can dream about a better year, next year....at least, that's MY take...... Wink

However, I DO have a small hockey collection (hockey books by Stan Fischler, figures, vintage games, etc.) and that's only because it makes me feel "in sync" a bit with "The Hockey Maven Himself", the distinguished Mr. Stan Fischler, whose excellent works on subways and streetcars have made him my favorite transit author.

Like myself, Stan has a VERY electric and diverse collection of "memorabilia" in his apartment, and that is certainly something I can relate to......Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:26 pm; edited 5 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....well, guess what, folks....the Mets lost YET again....(!!) Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

To quote the great Bugs Bunny: "Monotonous, isn't it?"

Well, it's not like Your's Truly is any sort of shock over the news of yet another Mets* loss...... Razz

"NYO"

*The Mets have now lost TEN out of their last ELEVEN games.......(!!) Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

(Eyewitness News sports Anthony Johnson, earlier: ".......the Mets are in a mess....."

That, I think, is indeed an understatement.
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, the-e-e-e-e-e (per John Sterling) Yankees have swept the Red Sox - who just a few days before had made mince meat of the Mets. No doubt the TV announcer, Michael Kay, had quite a few "See ya's" with what Yank hitters belted. Quite a contrast with the Mets' fortunes, or lack thereof, in spite of new ownership.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
Meanwhile, the-e-e-e-e-e (per John Sterling) Yankees have swept the Red Sox - who just a few days before had made mince meat of the Mets. No doubt the TV announcer, Michael Kay, had quite a few "See ya's" with what Yank hitters belted. Quite a contrast with the Mets' fortunes, or lack thereof, in spite of new ownership.

W.B.:

From what I heard on the news last evening, I would have to concur.

You and I both know that the Mets have "hit the skids" quite a few times over the past several decades, but, this season, the few victories were totally eclipsed by the huge losses inflicted by other teams.

As I said earlier, I am sure NONE of the Mets die-hards were all that surprised when they learned that The Amazins' had been eliminated from the playoffs.....I know I sure wasn't.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....well, at least for tonight, it is GUARANTEED that the Mets will not LOSE! (they're OFF tonight, as are the Bombers) Rolling Eyes Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....the Mets are playing a double-header this evening, and actually ONE the FIRST game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Even if The Amazins' don't win the second game, the mere fact that they FINALLY won ONE game, after losing 10 out of their last 11 games, is indeed "AMAZIN"!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

"GO METS!" (at least, for now)...... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE METS JUST WON GAME #2 OF THEIR DOUBLE-HEADER!!!!!!!

TWO GAMES, COUNT 'EM, TWO GAMES IN A ROW WON BY THE METS, AFTER TANKING SO MISERABLY, AS OF LATE!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Though they've been eliminated from the playoffs, I KNOW there's a LOT of VERY happy Mets fans, tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

"GO METS!!!!: Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

(and they say that MIRACLES are a thing of the past!!!!) Wink

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at Shea but across Roosevelt Avenue (you can see the elevated supports in the background) a gathering of buses parked in the Flushing Depot driveway.

Mostly Public Service, these buses brought tourists to the World's Fair.

Note the several air conditioned and non air conditioned TDH-5106 from Public Service as well as a couple of ex-Greyhound PD-4151.

The photo was taken from the bridge that went (goes) from the Willets Point #7 station over the depot driveway and over the Corona yard tracks into Flushing Meadow Park where the Fair was held.

s-l1600 (15).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  158.13 KB
 Viewed:  7221 Time(s)

s-l1600 (15).jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"HEAVEN ON EARTH"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

As a lifelong "Joisey Boy", those PS buses REALLY bring back memories!!!!!! Very Happy

PSNJ began purchasing Fishbowls in 1960; among the first were TDH-5302's (transit models) purchased in mid-1960.

Those PS suburban Old Looks* were like "THE KINGS OF THE ROAD", way back then!

THANK YOU for posting this AWESOME and NOSTALGIC view of a long-ago era in buses!! Very Happy

"NYO"

These days, you get tired really QUICK of seeing nothing but rubber-tired shoe boxes and monstrous caterpillars, masquerading as buses, nowadays..... Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 47, 48, 49  Next
Page 5 of 49

Jump to: