BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.....and leave the driving to us......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I see we are both pretty much on the same wavelength, here! Wink

Regarding the terminal interior scenes; when we first switch to a terminal interior (Miami) we see a large illuminated sign with script lettering:

"NIGHT BUS TO NEW YORK"

At "Jacksonville", there is a large framed GREYHOUND advertisement, showing one of the buses, at the entrance to the platform.

In "THE GREYHOUND STORY" (Schisgall), there is a great publicity "still" from the film, showing the bus parked at the first rest stop outside of Miami; "ATLANTIC GREYHOUND" is prominently displayed on the roof, above the "NEW YORK" destination sign (LOVE the multiple license plates on the bumper!)

In 1933, GREYHOUND included a total of 14 major companies that controlled it various subsidiaries.

"ATLANTIC GREYHOUND" was (in 1933) one of the affiliate companies.

In "IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT", had Peter and Ellie completed their trip into New York, I'm guessing that there would have had to have been a change of buses, at some point?

Tonnelle Avenue:

At the Bergen County line (down "Dan Kelly's Hill" from Nungessers, heading west), Tonnelle Avenue becomes Broad Avenue.

Regarding the Lincoln Highway, through the 1930's, PSNJ had several streetcar routes that ran between Jersey City and Newark, in the shadow of the new Pulaski Skyway; though the last of these routes were converted in 1938, streetcar service again returned (in 1942) in the form of wartime service to FEDERAL SHIPYARD and WESTERN ELECTRIC.

For the most part, these "wartime" streetcar lines utilized old trackage that still remained in place after abandonment......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:58 am; edited 3 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Highway *

VERY interesting and detailed historical page; note photo showing PSNJ streetcar ROW in the center of the highway, prior to the construction of the Skyway! Wink

Also, check out the "LINCOLN HIGHWAY" sign at Times Square.

"The Skyway".......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulaski_Skyway

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this 1936 photo, we see one of PS's elderly semi convertibles (of the 1500 series) eastbound to Jersey City, with the Pulaski Skyway on the left.

Compare this photo to the one on the Wikipedia page on the Lincoln Highway; that photo dated to the 1920's, before the Skyway existed (note the eastbound PS bus on the right, in the 1936 photo)

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?116967

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also of interest:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey_Route_7 *

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belleville_Turnpike_Bridge

*Until its abandonment, DE CAMP's "#22" (Jersey City-Caldwell), after departing Journal Square, traveled west on Newark Avenue to the Newark Turnpike.

The "#22" buses then ran along the Belleville Pike until reaching Belleville; from Belleville, the buses used Belleville Avenue, until reaching Bloomfield Avenue in Bloomfield.

Now sharing the route with the "#33" (from New York) the "#22" used Bloomfield Avenue to the end of the line, at the Caldwell loop.

Subway-surface streetcars of the #29 also looped here until 1952; MOUNTAIN COACHES "#144" (TRACKLESS TRANSIT) also terminated their runs from Newark at this location......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......despite the many books and articles I've read over the years on GREYHOUND, I've yet to find any information regarding the retirements of the carrier's front-engined fleet.

During WW2, when ANYTHING available was put to work (on the roads and the rails) these old workhorses would have been needed; by the end of War, with new SILVERSIDES and ACF-BRILL IC-41's coming online, that, to me, signaled the very end for the last of the front-engined buses operated by GREYHOUND.

I know both PSNJ and DE CAMP were still running at least some front-engined buses just after the War.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......am wondering, now that at least SOME semblence of "normal" is beginning to return, how this will be affecting GREYHOUND operations.....

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. We all are...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......GREYHOUND, like so many other carriers, once operated large numbers of both PD-4104's and 4106's.

To this very day, I still like to joke that the later, 1960's 4106 was but "a slimmed-down 4104" Wink

Seriously, it is easy to see that the 4106 was simply a more-angular version of the earlier 4104 (those Your's Truly remembers best were those operated by PSNJ/TNJ)

Recall, also, that, by the time of the first Fishbowls, the stage was being set for buses to feature more angular lines, and less curves; the earliest EAGLES featured more streamlined (i.e. "curve-y") bodies, while the later EAGLES were much more angular.

Nevertheless, the 4106, like the earlier 4104, is indeed a classic that STILL looks quite sleek and handsome today..... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See:

https://www.cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/General_Motors_PD-4106

Curiously, under the heading "US Operators", neither GREYHOUND nor CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS is listed.........

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PD-4106, was my all-time favorite coach. Would love to run one nowadays...

Capitol Trailways (of Pa) is mentioned. One of their PD-4106's, is preserved at the Bus Museum in Hershey...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
The PD-4106, was my all-time favorite coach. Would love to run one nowadays...

Capitol Trailways (of Pa) is mentioned. One of their PD-4106's, is preserved at the Bus Museum in Hershey...

traildriver:

I have a number of toy vintage 4104/4106*-types in my collection today, including GREYHOUND and CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS.

Back in the early NJT era, I can remember commuting on ex-PS/INTER-CITY 4106's, and, for a spell, an ex-ORANGE & BLACK 4104! Shocked

Had SCENICRUISER production continued into the 1960's, I'm wagering that they, also, would have been using the more angular lines of the 4106.......

"NYO"

*From the same 1960's (Japanese) manufacturer, there are slight but interesting variations; there are two (older) variations of the "gold stripe" (GREYHOUND) buses, one having open windshields, the other, having a solid windshield with a driver shown.

The last of these tin 4106's (about 7" long) features solid plastic tires in place of the earlier rubber ones (one of these later toys has "NIAGARA FALLS" on the roof; I purchased this one at the Falls in 1973, at a souvenier shop)

The TRAILWAYS versions feature the same variations, minus, of course, the gold stripes.

Both GREYHOUND versions are numbered "#5365"..........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....check out the front of "THE HAYES LINER" 4106 at the right of these old photo.... Wink

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156391

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After GREYHOUND pulled out of the East Bay commuter bus service, SamTrans took over operating the Fishbowls that had been in use for years.

In these old photos, the Fishbowls, like the historic Transbay Terminal, are but memories......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156846

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156847

traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
After GREYHOUND pulled out of the East Bay commuter bus service, SamTrans took over operating the Fishbowls that had been in use for years.

In these old photos, the Fishbowls, like the historic Transbay Terminal, are but memories......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156846

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156847

SamTrans took over Greyhounds 'Peninsula' commuter service. Those buses in the photo's still have their Greyhound fleet numbers, I believe Greyhound operated the service under contract for a period, before SamTrans really took over the entire operation.
Greyhounds' East Bay services, which used the upper level of the Trans Bay Terminal, were absorbed by A C Transit.
And Greyhounds third SF Commuter division, Marin County, was taken over by Golden Gate Transit.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Talk about "passing the buck"! Shocked

Remember, too, the new YELLOW Old Looks that replaced East Bay electric commuter trains and ferryboats (NWP) in 1941.

I've several vintage tin ltho toy Fishbowls in my archives (one was a souvenier from the '64 World's Fair!) that carry GREYHOUND livery; thee toys came in several sizes, and represented both transit (city) and suburban buses.

The mere fact we are discussing such bygone services all the more drives the point home that GREYHOUND was once a VERY diverse company; today, what's left is skeletal, at best.

The old STRAYHOUND site was a true "Holy Grail" for GREYHOUND historians/enthusiasts; ditto, SCENICRUISER.com.

It is indeed a loss to many than neither site was evever revived, all these years later.....

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 24 of 73

Jump to: