BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Double-decker demos in Manhattan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still find a few old ex-UK double deckers serving as Hop On, Hop Off sightseers in a few places in North America. One in particular I have used is in Halifax.

Some sightseeing companies started out with these, and their enormous popularity caused them to order modern version's.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

In the excellent little book "ROUTEMASTER HANDBOOK" (Andrew Morgan) you will find a wealth of photos showing the ex-LT Routemasters around the globe......in sightseeing service, tourist shuttles, even converted into mobile shops! Wink

My folks and I (back in 1966) rode an old "RT" up in Niagara Falls ("DOUBLE DECK TOURS"); I STILL have the souvenier ticket, plus a toy friction "RT" with "DOUBLE DECK TOURS" on its sides.....I also have a framed photo of Your's Truly (age 9!) patting the fender of the old "RT" we had just ridden! Very Happy

Ahhh, If I had grown up in London, 60 years ago....... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though (thankfully) FACCo buses were not segregated (as buses were in the South, into the 1960's), the ex-LT "RT" buses were adapted for segregated services in Cape Town, South Africa.

Here, there were separate fleets for whites and non-whites; the buses carried illuminated indicators in front that denoted what service it was operating on*.

The buses themselves looked quite handsome in their new paint; however, we can be thankful that those days are long gone.....

"NYO"

*Similar segregated operations (also using ex-LT buses) was also used in Colombo, Ceylon (today's Sri Lanka); also, other cities in Africa......

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

........London's circa-1930 "LT" three-axle double-deckers were quite similar to those operated by SURFACE.

Some ex-London double-deckers, once operating overseas, were likewise cut down into single-deckers.

Imagine a single-deck ex-FACCo "Queen Mary"? Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once in awhile British double deckers were sent overseas without being used buses. Below is an example that was built specially for Cuba in 1950.

Autobuses Modernos (Modern Autobuses) acquired two that were used on special service to the beaches. Color was an overall white with navy blue stripe and fenders.

They lasted well into the 1970s-1980s after they were transferred to the Isle of Pines for tourist service.

Israel also acquired an identical bus.

45571648001_e0d3a744e1_b.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.52 KB
 Viewed:  8416 Time(s)

45571648001_e0d3a744e1_b.jpg

44657642455_b082796565_z.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.29 KB
 Viewed:  8416 Time(s)

44657642455_b082796565_z.jpg

MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New York Omnibus 2629...

I have a VHS (yes, I still have a VHS player) tape that is about the FACCo Queen Mary. The bus narrates a tour along Fifth Avenue; it ends alluding to the retirement of the Queen Marys. Nice shots of 2149 on the roof of the 132nd Street depot with the twin water tanks of FACCo.

The "bus narrator" says that drivers refers to the single deckers plying Fifth Avenue as "Flat Tops"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New York Omnibus 2629...

I have a VHS (yes, I still have a VHS player) tape that is about the FACCo Queen Mary. The bus narrates a tour along Fifth Avenue; it ends alluding to the retirement of the Queen Marys. Nice shots of 2149 on the roof of the 132nd Street depot with the twin water tanks of FACCo.

The "bus narrator" says that drivers refers to the single deckers plying Fifth Avenue as "Flat Tops"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
New York Omnibus 2629...

GREAT PHOTOS......now THAT is what I call a CLASSIC double-decker; thanks for sharing these great photos! Wink

LEYLAND, for decades, was synonmous with British buses and coaches; the "TITANS" of the 1920's were particularly impressive.

Back in the 1920's, a number of 1910-era "GENERAL" buses ("B" types) from London went to Greece for further service.

In later years, a number of ex-London buses also went to the Canary Islands and Malta......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
New York Omnibus 2629...

.......if you can transfer that VHS tape to a DVD, I will GLADLY pay for a copy; this sounds like a companion piece to "VOICE OF THE EL" which I saw dozens of times at the Transit Museum, 40 years ago (I LOVED that film!)

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
New York Omnibus 2629...

....might I also suggest looking for a copy of the 1951 children's book, "BLUNDERBUS" (Phyllis McGinley); this book deals with the story of "Old Number 3", the last FACCo open-topper.

The "cartoon-y" illustrations of the Old Looks are a HOOT!!!!!!! Shocked Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
.......if you can transfer that VHS tape to a DVD, I will GLADLY pay for a copy; this sounds like a companion piece to "VOICE OF THE EL" which I saw dozens of times at the Transit Museum, 40 years ago (I LOVED that film!)

The other film seen at the Transit Museum for many years along with Voice Of The El was 3rd Ave. El, going up and down said el. That one, unlike the other, is on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEG4re43ub8
One wonders if that photographer was the late Lothar Stelter . . . Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

The other film seen at the Transit Museum for many years along with Voice Of The El was 3rd Ave. El, going up and down said el. That one, unlike the other, is on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEG4re43ub8
One wonders if that photographer was the late Lothar Stelter . . . Wink

W.B.:

I have that latter film* on DVD; it was part of a "GREAT AMERICAN RAILROADS" dvd set a friend sent me a few years back; the sounds of the traction motors and compressors of the MUDC cars really took me back to my childhood, as the sounds brought back great memories of riding the old H&M "Black" cars with Mom, nearly 60 years ago. Very Happy

LOVED that classical harpsicord music, too.......(!!) Wink

"NYO"

Way back in the early days of HBO, this delightful little film often popped up in the evenings (this was before I got my first VCR in 1983).........
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to ask, which version of that number was that by? I'd've thought it'd be Wanda Landowska on the keys, but . . . and certainly earlier than '55 . . .
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
I meant to ask, which version of that number was that by? I'd've thought it'd be Wanda Landowska on the keys, but . . . and certainly earlier than '55 . . .

W.B.:

You are correct; she played "Haydn's Concerto in D For Harpischord"; this music truly was "in sync" with the strong Victorian-era aura that the ancient El exuded.

There is one quick glimpse early on of a train of re-assigned BMT "Q" cars; MUDC cars dominate the film.

Recall, that the old "Composites" had already been retired, and the "Q" cars were using lighter trucks salvaged from scrapped "Composites", otherwise, they would have been too heavy for the spindly old IRT el structure......

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turns out the other film - "The Vanishing 'El' " - is also on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFyixEMrUu4

Came right after "3rd Ave. El." (The version of that Haydn piece apparently is from 1937 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pxbXadtpXE - which made sense as all four Manhattan els were still operating at that time.)

The 'el's' voice was Carl King.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: