BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Double-decker demos in Manhattan
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject: Double-decker demos in Manhattan Reply with quote

Fellows:

I know that the MTA (for many reasons) will never have such buses in their fleet, but I am curious as to when the last demos operated in Manhattan (1970's?)

Were those 1970's demos sent back to England after their trials here?

Appreciate any info.......

"NYO"

PS....I HATE those hideous new double-deckers that now run in London.....give me a classic "RT" or an "RM" ("Routemaster") anyday!!

Blimey!
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....I now recall that at least one of the double-decker demo buses that ran in New York a few decades ago was a LEYLAND.

LEYLAND, over the course of many many years, built a substantial number of buses for London over the course of many decades......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think of these?

https://www.alexander-dennis.com/products/double-deck-buses-3-axle/enviro500-north-america/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

The link is MUCH appreciated.....thanks! Wink

Three-axle double-deckers in London go back some 90-odd years, when the hulking "LT"-type* went into service in 1930; after the last of these big buses were retired in the early 1950's, the days of three-axle double-deckers in London came to an end........

"NYO"

*Interesting that, as built, some of the "LT"-types had open staircases, while others had staircases that were enclosed.

By the time these buses were retired, most, but not all, had been rebuilt with enclosed staircases........

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

........in 1937, the L.P.T.B. placed orders for 24 "LTC"-type coaches for private hire (charter) work.

These handsome single-deck buses had three axles, as well as the "traditional" British half cab.

London Transport retired these unique buses in 1952.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......I've long wondered why FACCo. never operated three-axle double-deckers; I know that, at one time, such buses operated in Cleveland.

Was there a weight restriction on the books at the time that forbad the use of six-wheel buses on Fifth Avenue?

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surface Transportation acquired 26 six wheel double deckers built, oddly enough, by a company named Six-Wheel. They had Fitzgibbon & Crisp bodies sat 66 passengers with fleet numbers 100-125 and ran on routes ! and 2 in the Bronx till 1933 when they were rebuilt as single deckers.
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA acquired eight Leyland "Atlantean" double deckers in 1976 but not as demos. In my opinion they were more of an experiment that went wrong. They were sold to Gray Line of San Francisco in 1980 and also operated in Vancouver, British Columbia.

d8 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  183.38 KB
 Viewed:  11935 Time(s)

d8 (2).jpg

406.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  239.76 KB
 Viewed:  11935 Time(s)

406.jpg

MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one double decker demo that I know for sure was a Neoplan Skyliner model N122/3 that came to New York City in Los Angeles SCRTD colors.

SCRTD eventually had 20 of these buses.

5486 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  191.21 KB
 Viewed:  11934 Time(s)

5486 (2).jpg

neoplan (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.28 KB
 Viewed:  11934 Time(s)

neoplan (2).jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
Surface Transportation acquired 26 six wheel double deckers built, oddly enough, by a company named Six-Wheel. They had Fitzgibbon & Crisp bodies sat 66 passengers with fleet numbers 100-125 and ran on routes ! and 2 in the Bronx till 1933 when they were rebuilt as single deckers.

MaBSTOA 15:

I had totally forgotten about the six-wheel SURFACE double-deckers; there is a photo of one (after it had been cut down to a single-deck bus) in "ACROSS NEW YORK BY TROLLEY", showing at the stop adjacent to the NYC's 138th station; the caption states that the bus was converted into a single-decker in 1933.

Too bad FACCO. never operated these big six-wheelers!

As usual, AWESOME photos and great historical info....thanks for sharing!Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.........in 1965, LONDON TRANSPORT purchased eight DAIMLER "FLEETLINE" double-deckers for Country service, fifty "ATLANTEANS" for Central services.

This gave LT the added advantage of making a comparison between the Fleetline and the Atlantean on a mechanical basis.

I have a number of vintage toy (tin, plastic, and die-cast) Atlantean double-deckers in my collection today, also Daimlers....... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......I cannot help but wonder about how interesting it would have been, had FACCo. utilized buses where the chassis and bodies were built by different manufactures, as was the norm in London for many decades.

The chassis might be LEYLAND, DAIMLER, BRISTOL, AEC, etc., while the bodies had been built by any of a number of different body builder.s

Though the "RM" Routemaster had separate front and rear sub-assemblies, their bodies were still interchangeable, as was the case for all London buses through the "RT" class.

Throughout their working lives, many London buses (chassis) carried several bodies, built by different body builders; here, of course, when you saw a GM, YELLOW, or MACK approaching, you were seeing a COMPLETE bus, not one made up of a separate chassis and body.

I do know that BRILL built bodies for some of the earliest FACCo. De Dions........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......am curious as to when heating was first installed on FACCo. double-deckers; interestingly, in London, the first double-deckers to have heaters were the "RM" Routemasters, which entered service in 1959........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......in decades past, many retired London double-deckers were sold overseas for further use in such diverse locations as Ceylon (Sri Lanka), South Africa, India, and Yugoslavia.

Imagine seeing an ex-FACCo. "Queen Mary" rumbling along a street in Capetown, circa-1970....... Shocked

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Imagine seeing an ex-FACCo. "Queen Mary" rumbling along a street in Capetown, circa-1970....... Shocked

I know, right? As opposed to most being scrapped?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: