BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does the future hold for the PABT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Here's a very interesting page on Jerusalem's "PABT"; some interesting photos (w/buses) are on this page.

Interesting information on ventilation and bus operations as well.

Also, note that there is a (kosher) McDONALD'S and a TOWER RECORDS in the main concourse! Wink

Also of interest is the photo showing the interior, where the buses load......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerusalem_central_bus_station

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tel_Aviv_central_bus_station

It's interesting to compare these two modern Middle Eastern terminals with our own "Port".......

"NYO"

I've been to that dump...it makes The Port look like a palace in comparison...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Well, I was thinking much along the same lines, but, I was also trying to be polite...... Wink

Speaking of the "Port-Of-Authority" as we older fellows knew it, do you recall (sitting on the right side of an incoming bus) and, on your right as soon as you entered the terminal, there was this HUGE glassed-in vat, that was full of rushing water (I always thought it had something to do with the terminal's a/c system, but was never quite sure.

Too, remember the original escalators, with the ridged, black and white handrails?

Also, recall that small observation area, overlooking the main concourse?

My favorite concourse shop was, not surprisingly, the always-interesting "HOBBY MART" (I still have a few goodies from that shop, purchased anywhere between 45 and 60 years ago!)

I also remember, on the ORANGE & BLACK platforms, there being pivoting metal signs on a long stanchion, that the dispatcher would rotate into place for each route (I remember the O&B locals used the platform opposite the one used by the rush-hours only "RIVER ROAD EXPRESS")

Man, where did the years get to??

"NYO"

Rolling Eyes
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"PORT"-side memories.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156428

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156412

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?156409

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show/156416

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really familiar with the upper bus level's, but I am fairly sure that what you saw was "chill water" used to supply various terminal air conditioner's, as you surmised...

That "observation" seating area, which was directly above the Greyhound Travel Bureau, between two banks of escalator's, was used for concert's during the holiday period...various glee clubs and HS bands performed for the travelers and commuter's. Later, they closed it off, and had a Port agent monitor the various security camera's around the terminal on a bank of video screens.

I liked the old shops too...besides the hobby shop, I liked the 'Teepee" or whatever it was called...I still have a western tooled leather "looper" belt purchased there.
Used to like to window shop the over-priced Hofritz Cutlery, too...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traaildriver:

I see I was on the right track, regarding that huge vat of "rushing waters"!

"TEEPEE TOWN" was the name of the store that sold both Western and Native American items; as my dad was a HUGE fan of westerns (and there were a LOT on the tube, back then!) he liked browsing there (Mom and I once bought him a leather wallet with "BONANZA" etched into it....needless to say, he LOVED it!) Wink

Yes, I remember well the Christmas carolers/singers who performed in that observation area, as well as the huge Christmas ornaments and banners that dangled from the ceiling (we lived only a 15-minute bus ride away from "The Port Of Authority", via the NHBL #5); Mom and I often would ride into the "Port" on a Friday evening, or, on the weekend at the holidays, to hear the carolers and see all the decorations......aaaah, the lost age of innocence!

Regarding the GREYHOUND Travel Bureau; do you also remember the HUGE "model" SCENICRUISER, that had a hollowed-out top that was used as a timetable/brochure rack, back in the 60's?

Man, I STILL dream about that stunner! Shocked

Remember, too, those big square "BENRUS TIME" ceiling clocks?

One of the things I still have from HOBBY MART (I was with my older brother when he purchased it for me, back around 1962) is a hefty-sized plastic TRAILWAYS bus (metal floor, rubber tires, three axles), that looked like it was a cross between a SCENICRUISER and a Flex "HI-LINER" (I still have it today!)

I also remember a VERY detailed, custom-painted IRT Lo-V (HO scale) that was in the window (this was about 1965); I think this was a "SILVER LEAF" model....man, was I in love....I still dream about it, today! Very Happy

Remember the always bustling "GARFIELD NEWS COMPANY" (later "HUDSON NEWS"), at the head of the escalators, on the suburban level?

Mom usually bought my dad a "Jersey Journal", before we boarded a Union City-bound #5; I usually got either a new issue of TRAINS (or RMC), or a Bugs Bunny/Looney Tunes comic! Wink

It's all sooooo long ago, now........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting little "tidbit".........

On the cover of a 1973 "NORTHEAST COACH LINES" tt (from my collection), it is stated that the buses depart from TRACKS #'s 124 and 125 at the PABT; I find it quite interesting that the word "tracks" is used here, instead of the expected "gate" or "platform".

The main offices for the company were located at 419 Anderson Avenue, Fairview; this was also the old ORANGE & BLACK garage ("MAPLEWOOD EQUIPMENT CO."), today still used by NJT.........

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO--

I was always's intrigued by Northeast's name, comparing it to Northeast Airlines (of "Yellowbird" fame, and spokesman Jim Dooley standing at some balmy Florida beach during the winter, and extolling television commercial viewer's to: "Come on down!!" I thought that it was a grandiose name for a bus carrier that just went to northern NJ...

I used to like to watch out of Northeast's gates...they were at the far western end of the UBL, near the "throat" of the terminal, and you could observe all the action of the buses entering and leaving the UBL, and further down the SBL ramps to/from the Lincoln Tunnel. All of those gates were renumbered into the 400 series, when the North Wing was added.

Interesting you should mention "tracks"...
We used to get bundles of newspaper's shipped to various small towns by Hotaling's News Agency as bus express. The truck driver would cruise by the gates, dropping off the bundle's at the appropriate platforms. The paper wrapper for each bundle, would give the destination city, and the "track" number to be dropped at. I am guessing this was an ancient practice from doing similar at railway stations at one time...
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of newspaper bundles...

The Edwards Lakes-To-Sea System, 12:30 AM milk run all the way to Cleveland, carried a full bin of newspaper bundles on its nightly run. The Edwards driver would arrive at gate 10 from the hotel, an hour or more before its departure, to start loading the bundles in the best order for unloading along the route. In the summer month's, he would take off his shirt and tie while loading, as it was quite a workout...then dress back up, and grab some "breakfast" at the Post and Coach before loading the handful of passenger's that rode that trip out of New York. It took seven hours to complete that trip to Williamsport, only about two hundred miles away, that the express trips could do in only three and a half hours...
From there the next driver would go all the way to Cleveland with the 'buffalo' PD-4107.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

GREAT info (as usual!) and VERY interesting memories.....thanks for sharing here! Wink

Speaking of newspapers, this reminded me of something else that certain bus runs carried, items that were not of the "usual"; according to the 1978 MOTOR BUS SOCIETY excellent feature on DE CAMP, the Company's buses, also carried express packages many years earlier, but, blood was (at the time of publication) being shipped on certain #77 runs between New York and Morristown.

Of course, we are all familiar with the "Combo Cars", "Cargo-Liners", etc, of GREYHOUND and BIG RED. Wink

Old MARTZ tt's of the 1950's and 1960's also have ads for package service........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on the "Old Port"......

Remember the sleek chrome token booths, at one of the Subway entrances? (these lasted, AFAIK, until the early 1980's)

I remember seeing an ancient 1950's-era "OPPY" cartoon affixed to the glass, showing a smiling clock face, advising straphangers: "SAVE TIME! BUY EXTRA TOKENS TODAY!"

I also remember there being a HUGE "open" newsstand on the main level, not far from the doors that led out to 8th Avenue.

Way, way, back, "POST & COACH" was quite elegant; my godmother went to an office function there, back in the early 60's (she, at the time, commuted in from West New York via ORANGE & BLACK)

Ahhhh, man, I'M REALLY showing my age, now.......

Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In discussing "The Port Of Authority", mention should be made of the following companies......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BoltBus *

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coach_USA

https://us.megabus.com/about-us

*(Note that a stop in Newark was added in 2011)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martz_Group

The origins of this well-known company dates back to 1908; its buses have long called at the PABT.

In years past, it also served Jersey City (Journal Square) and also Newark.

I have two old MARTZ tt's in my collection; the one dating to 1959 still shows service to Journal Square; in Newark, the buses called at the PS Terminal.

In the 1979 tt, there was still service to Newark (by this late date, however, the old PS Terminal had recently been demolished); service to Jersey City was no more.

According to the 1959 tt, MARTZ tickets could be purchased at windows#'s 11 and 12........

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people recall the 1980 remodeling of The Port when the North Wing was opened, but not so many recall the first expansion in 1963, when Greyhound and its affiliate were coerced into moving in from their own two terminals on 34th and 50th Streets.

To make room for them, the Port added three auto parking decks above the original roof top parking deck. Then they converted that deck into the new Upper Bus Level, including an additional Post and Coach snack bar. About half (the medium distance carrier's), that had been operating on the Lower Level, were relocated to the new Upper Bus Level. The short distance carrier's remained on the Suburban Bus Level.

The former taxi roadway that cut thru the west end of the Lower Bus Level, was closed to taxi's, and converted into a driveway for package express shipper's. The west end of the Lower Level was divided into separate baggage and express facilities for Greyhound and Trailways.
Next to the Port Dispatcher's booth, a new booth was added for Greyhound Dispatcher's, located approximately above Gate 2, with a view of the buses entering the Lower Level, and all the way down the even numbered gates to Gate 40W. Greyhound also had its operation's office and driver's room located behind them.

On the main concourse, new ticket plaza's were built for both Greyhound, closest to the main 8th Avenue entrance, followed by National Trailways.
Greyhound also opened a Travel Bureau located between the main escalator banks. Directlyl opposite that Travel Bureau was the Continental Trailways Ticket Plaza. And further west among the shops, was the Trailways Tour and Travel Bureau. Adirondack Trailways opened their own ticket plaza with entrances on both the main concourse, and a half flight of steps up at the Main Waiting Room level.
The ancient bank teller-like ticket windows remained along the south wall, serving most of the NJ and non-affiliated NY carrier's.
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Greyhound made their 1963 move into the Port, to save on paying the rather high rents the PA charged, they rented space for their NY Regional administrative offices, as well as their telephone information center, into the second floor of an old two story building next door, on 8th Avenue, between 39th and 40th Streets. On the roof, they erected a large neon lit sign with the Greyhound dog logo, and saying: "Go Greyhound At The Port Authority", followed by a large arrow curving down to point at The Port...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

MANY THANKS for reminding us (in great detail!) of the 1963 expansion; I have not thought of this in years, but now, DO recall the construction work going on at the time, when Mom and I came into the city via the NHBL #5.

And......THANK YOU............ for REALLY jogging my memory........I had not thought of the new GREYHOUND neon sign with the curved arrow; I used to love looking at it; oddly, I've not yet seen even one photo of it on the 'net, over the years.

I was commuting into "The Port" every day that summer of 1980, as the PATH tubes were out that summer, due to a strike (I was riding ancient IND-R10's and O&B Fishbowls every weekday......and, sometimes, a 4104, so, no complaints from Your's Truly!

I HATED the convoluted "mouse in the maze" path needed to get to the bus; the construction noise din also was no walk in the park.

Before rebuilding, I remember, heading towards the 8th Avenue doors, and seeing the (original) subway entrances that were then located on the north and south sides of the concourse.

Too bad the "Powers That Be" could not rebuild the Terminal without destroying that magnificent streamlined facade, once so distinctive; though I used the PABT countless times over the years afterwards (until I retired in early 2004), it was no longer a fascinating place I enjoyed being in......I could not wait to board the bus and head home.....it just was not the same.......at least, I've got the memories......

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: