BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buses and the Puerto Rican Day Parade/signs en Espanol, etc.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

EXACTLY the information I was looking for.....thanks! Wink

I still remember watching a news report on WNEW (5) when the GRUMMANS were yanked from service; there was footage of stored buses being brought out of a depot (I have no idea which one), that were going to help "fill in" the gap.

I can remember some of these buses were still in the old "TEE-YAY" green; I was not at all happy when the reporter referred to the buses as "decade-and-a-half-old-clunkers" (hey, they STILL could get the job done, when duty called!) Wink

I also remember watching and reading the numerous television and newspaper stories on the WAMATA Fishbowls and Flexies trekking their way north to the Big Apple; in later years, one of these Flexies found its way to "Joisey" (about 1995) and was running for some time on the old NHBL #1 to Journal Square.

The bus was using an ancient glass-topped Johnson "D" fare box (obviously salvaged from one long-since-scrapped NHBL bus); the bucket seats on this bus were also in surprisingly good shape.

I rode this bus every weekday morning as part of my commute until it finally disappeared (dang, why didn't I take any photos?) Sad

Oh, well, at least I have the memories....... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadway & 42nd, 1981.

This photo is interesting, in that the WAMATA Fishbowl is still wearing its original 1960's-era "DC TRANSIT" paint.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155775

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadway & 49th St., 1981.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155771

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAMATA Flexies "at home"; as I had mentioned previously here, one of these buses ran on the former NHBL's #1 line (Nungessers-JSQ) from about 1995 to at least 1997.

In fact, the ex-WAMATA bus was the very last Flex New Look that I can ever remember riding on.

Personally, I've always thought that the subject of WAMATA buses in "Noo Yawk" to be quite interesting; am now curious as to what routes/depots were the Washington buses assigned to, and when were they removed from service in New York......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155788

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155789

W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Broadway & 49th St., 1981.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155771

That was from when the clock and 'weather star' of the MONY building were turned off for a few years (beginning in 1979) at the height of the energy crises, and ostensibly to save money on the electric bill; wasn't until about a year or two after this that both were turned back on again after much outcry. Much preferred the shape of the numerals as laid out in that juncture; today's, not so much (and on top of that, are shaped the same as was on the lap counters at both Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, FL, and Road America in Elkhart Lake, WI, during the 1970's).
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

INTERESTING trivia; thanks for sharing! Wink

Any chance that you can "dig deep" and share some information on the WAMATA buses coming to New York (i.e. how many buses "filled in" for the sidelined GRUMMAN fleet, what depots they were assigned to, etc.)

Also, how was it that DC came to the rescue?

I have always wondered why the buses did not come from, say, Philadelphia......

"NYO"

BTW: If I'm not mistaken, didn't a WAMATA service truck trekk north with the bus convoy, in case of breakdowns?
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that before Harry Weinberg got his clammy claws on Fifth Avenue Coach Lines, O. Roy Chalk (who'd owned DC Transit from which the light turquoise blue color paint scheme of the buses - and which WMATA later took over) made a play for the company but lost out. Besides, the DC surface fleet by then was all buses, whereas Philly: a) appeared to be a mixture of buses and streetcars, and b) likely their buses weren't in all that much the best of shape.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

By the early 1960's, DC TRANSIT's streetcar system was down to but a few lines; the last overhead trolley wire operation ended in 1960.

In January, 1962, the last few conduit-only lines went to buses.

DC TRANSIT was also one of the first properties to obtain air-conditioned ("ARTICOOLERS") Fishbowls* (DC TRANSIT still had a sizeable number of WHITES, which ran well into the 1960's)

"NYO"

*These buses were TDH-5301's; this purchase of 75 buses made DC TRANSIT the largest operator of air-conditioned buses in the world at that time.

Later that year, DC TRANSIT purchased 25 TDH-4517's.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought that New York, given its hot, humid summers, should have, like DC, also received a/c Fishbowls in 1959.

Baltimore's BTC obtained a new fleet of a/c Fishbowls (its first) in late 1963, to convert the very last two streetcar lines in the city; these were the #'s 8 and 15.....

"NYO"
B53RICH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadway & 42nd, 1981.

This photo is interesting, in that the WAMATA Fishbowl is still wearing its original 1960's-era "DC TRANSIT" paint.......

Also notice the DC roll sign.
B53RICH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadway & 42nd, 1981.

Also notice the DC roll sign.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B53RICH:

Yep, that sign was another added "bonus" to the photo! Wink

I still remember how much media coverage the convoy of DC buses received when they trekked north up to "Noo Yawk"; the DAILY NEWS and the NY POST, I recall, had some good articles and photos, at that time.

It must have been quite interesting, to say the least, to see these buses arrive in the city, and then be sent to their respective depots; also, I wonder how the "EM-TEE-AAY" and MaBSTOA drivers liked them.....did they find them better than what they were then driving, or just about the same ol, same ol'......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAMATA "Flexies" In Gotham.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153278

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155778

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155309

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155773

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking.......

Given the fact that the COVID has made 2020 a "parade-less" year, we are once again reminded of just how much we have taken for granted in years past.

Two of New York's biggest parades, the St. Patrick's Day Parade and the Puerto Rican Day parade were not held this year.

If ever we needed our minds taken away from all the political tensions, civil unrest, and COVID devastation that has literally decimated the entire year, it is now......one can only hope that we see some semblence of "normalcy" in 2021.

Well, at least we can celebrate our heritages (and enjoy the bus hobby) "in private", until better times return.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

........back in the late 1950's/1960's, when the Puerto Rican population of New York was rapidly expanding, and men of this nationality were applying for "Tee-Yay" jobs, I'm wondering if any hired as drivers were assigned to bus routes that then served Hispanic areas, say, parts of Upper Manhattan (also, Spanish Harlem).......

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 12 of 30

Jump to: