BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Happy Birthday, IRT!":Influences:Philly/Chicago
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 37, 38, 39  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

".......a bus subsidiary (of TARS) was formed, to petition for a system of lines in the Bronx. This petition was successful, and, from a modest 12 routes in 1928, an enterprise had been created that would become the world's largest diesel bus fleet by 1942......"

".......this huge success bore the asphaltic name of "SURFACE TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM......"

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....one historical (if whimsical!) "what if" I've always enjoyed having fun with has the "INTERBOROUGH", at some point prior to the unification of the subways, buying out FACCo.

In my mind, I see the buses lettered "INTERBOROUGH COACH COMPANY" ("GO THE INTERBOROUGH WAY"); perhaps, had such a takeover ever happened, former FACCo. routes might have been extended further northward, and perhaps, even into downtown Brooklyn.

Also, "INTERBOROUGH" extending former FACCo. routes south of Washington Square to South Ferry.

Supposing, also, that, at some point, FACCo. bought out TARS, and replaced the streetcar lines with buses (too, I can also see "INTERBOROUGH"-owned buses replacing the Manhattan elevated lines; or, perhaps, replacing these elevated lines with new subways, at some future date)

As the IRT operated all of the Manhattan elevated lines, plus had extensive subway lines in Manhattan, adding numerous bus routes to its established "family", if you will, would, indeed have indeed made the "INTERBOROUGH" the undisputed "Transit King" of Manhattan.

Again, this is just one of my "just for fun" transit fantasies, but one that makes for some interesting mental images......Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
....interesting to remember, also, that while FACCo. established new routes in Queens, it never extended any routes into Brooklyn.......

"NYO"

Or Staten Island.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
....interesting to remember, also, that while FACCo. established new routes in Queens, it never extended any routes into Brooklyn.......

"NYO"

Or Staten Island.

W.B.:

Had FACCo. ever extended service to Staten Island, it would have required the use of single-deck buses, due to the headroom available on the Staten Island ferryboats (having the buses cross the harbor on a ferry would have been similar to the B&O's train connection buses crossing the Hudson aboard CNJ ferries)

Now, had indeed FACCo. lasted into the later 1960's (when the new VZ Bridge opened in 1964), FACCO could have operated express bus service to Manhattan via Staten Island, as became commonplace after the span opened.

Also, as we have discussed here many times in the past, it would have been interesting had both FACCO. and SURFACE survived through the 60's and beyond, before being finally absorbed by the MTA (recall STEINWAY, JAMAICA, GREEN BUS, etc.)..........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:54 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recall, too, the first several "Queen Mary" double-deckers; these buses had been built to specifications which differed from the rest of the "Queen Mary" fleet, in that they were built (with lower headroom) to operate on the Jackson Heights route, under the El.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....had FAACCo. survived as an independent company into recent years, imagine seeing RTS's bearing the classic, ever-stylish, script-style slogan, "RIDE THE MOTOR COACH WAY". Very Happy

Too, I would not have minded seeing GRUMMANS emblazoned with the timeless legend, "RIDE THE SURFACE WAY". Wink

IMHO (as I have said numerous times in our many discussions here) that a good, solid, detailed work on the history of MaBSTOA is long, long overdue.

I've seen several fellows here whose knowledge of MaBSTOA's history, buses, and operations is nothing short of exhaustive; if these gentlemen ever decided to have a work published on this subject, it would fill a huge void in the libraries of many "local" bus enthusiasts.

One chapter of such a book could be dedicated to rollsigns through the years, routings, route changes, etc.; this alone would more than make the price of said book MORE than worth it.

A chapter on depots/depot assignments would, also, make for some great reading, especially along with photos......Wink

Just Your's Truly's 2 1/2 cents worth........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....with railfan windows gone from the subways, and traditional block signals giving way to hi-tech CBTC, the MTA, at least for us "old timers", has removed virtually the last bits of nostalgia from the system.

Too, crime and COVID has further dampened most enjoyment, regarding the subways; gone, too, are the classic trains that so many of us grew up with and that we rode with much excitement (remember, also, the wide variety and diversity of equipment that could still be enjoyed, on all three divisions?)

Bus-wise, IMHO, the RTS was the last "classic" bus on the teeming streets of New York; Fishbowls/New Looks have now been gone for over 20 years.

Again, these factors, coupled with crime and COVID, further evaporates the fun and photographic opportunities that far too many of us took for granted.

Well, at least we have memories and photos..... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...............remember, several decades ago, when all that was required when "faaning" the buses and subways were several tokens and a KODAK Instamatic? Wink

Even during the years of rampant graffiti and virtually no maintenance, there was still so much variety to be savored, especially on the subways, regarding classic equipment.

The buses, also, gave us of much in the way of diversity, in so maany ways.

All gone.....but for the memories and the photos.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Olde Order" Passeth......

1958:

Last IRT "Hi-V's" retired

1964:

Last IRT Lo-V's retired from "mainline" service.

1969:

Last prewar IRT cars retired from the Bronx 3rd Avenue El.

1973:

Bronx 3rd Avenue El closes.

2003:

Last Redbirds retired.........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just recalling......

Not all that long before I retired, the last IRT "Redbirds" were retired; on that day, for me, the IRT became "just another subway line".

I simply could not warm either the R-62's (I especially disliked them, as they had replaced the venerable, ancient R-12/14/15 types, which, next to the long-gone Lo-V's, were my favorite IRT cars), nor could I "get chummy" with the new R-142's.

For awhile, you might be lucky to get a railfan window on a "62" on the Flushing line, but it was simply was not the same.

My "loyalty" then went over the the classic "Brightliners", which I would ride downtown from the PABT on the "C" in the AM.

Even then, I still missed my beloved old friends, those ancient, noisy, battleship/tanks known as the "R-10's".

Though I cherish all of the great memories I have of "riding the rails" under the bustling streets of New York, so many years ago, I am glad now that I have no reason to ride the subways (I retired in early 2005).

What with COVID, rampant crime, and the extinction of the time-honored railfan window, all the fun and excitement I once enjoyed to the fullest, many years back, has long since evaporated into thin air like a morning mist.

No wonder I cherish my memories as much as I do today.......Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to ponder......

IMHO, transit buses are seldom retained to the point where they become "elderly", the direct opposite of rapid transit cars.

Recall the old R-10's, which were delivered between 1948 and 1949; the were retired in 1989, after a forty year career.

If, in 1989, transit buses of that same vintage were still in operation, we'd see Old Looks and MACKS, still "moving the masses" (imagine TDH-4507's and MACK C-45's lasting until almost 1990? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Think of how many rapid transit cars, streetcars, and commuter coaches lasted in service for a half-century.....or more....... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

....on this day in 1971, the first R-44's entered service on the "E" line.

Hard to believe that this was nearly a half-century ago........ Shocked

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......this year (2020), it marked 17 years since the last revenue run of the iconic "Redbirds"; IMHO, these were, truly, the LAST of the "classic era" IRT cars.

With the passing of these once-familiar, stalwart cars, the last vestiges of the long-ago days when folks referred to the "A" Division as the "IRT" vanished forever.

These days, it just ain't the same......... Sad

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, it is yet another "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" for the good ol' "Eye-Are-Tee". Very Happy

On this day in 1904, the first revenue train operated between 145th St. and the City Hall loop.

I've read that the very air was split asunder by the cacophony of boat, ship, and factory whistles, not to mention church bells, and, of course, the lusty cheering of thousands in the streets.

What a grand day that had to have been! Very Happy

"NYO"

["INTERBOROUGH RAPID TRANSIT"]
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"NYO"

Or to Staten Island. (As I noted a few years before.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 2 of 39

Jump to: