BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.....and leave the driving to us......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 71, 72, 73  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another shot...
I remember the driver's had a somewhat distinctive uniform from the mainline company, especially the gold tie, but not sure how accurate the rest of that uniform is...

https://tomorrowland.fandom.com/wiki/Harvey
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

NICE pics!!!!!!!!!! Wink

I agree with you; it COULD be the camera perspective, but, then again, this looks like a 35 footer (could an available 35 footer been "gussied up" in GREYHOUND livery, for the flick??)

Oddly enough, in the book "WELCOME ABOARD THE GM NEW LOOK BUS", there is only one photo of a GREYHOUND Fishbowl (none at all showing the WF units)

The one photo shows a TDM-5303 (WESTERN GREYHOUND) in Bay-area commuter service.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Another shot...
I remember the driver's had a somewhat distinctive uniform from the mainline company, especially the gold tie, but not sure how accurate the rest of that uniform is...

https://tomorrowland.fandom.com/wiki/Harvey

traildriver:

Like yourself, I am not sure just how entirely accurate the driver's uniform is; however, he DOES finely portray the "classic look" that us "dinosaurs" can still clearly remember...... Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

"HEADS UP!!" Shocked Shocked

If you go to page #7 on the "New York Buses" board, you will see a thread I started several years back, "HI-HO TO THE 64/65 FAIR" (dealing with GREYHOUND service); this is a multiple-page thread, with a number of photo links (hope they still work!) as well as member's observations and opinions.

From a quick glance at posted comments, that bus used in "TOMORROWLAND" was, indeed, a 35-footer.

Just wanted to give you a quick "heads up"..... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Also to be found in my old (aforementioned) topic on the WF Greyhound buses, there are also photo links and comments on the dispositions of the "sightseeing roof" Fishbowls used at the Fair, some of which went to Jersey operators after the Fair closed......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

"HEADS UP!!" Shocked Shocked

If you go to page #7 on the "New York Buses" board, you will see a thread I started several years back, "HI-HO TO THE 64/65 FAIR" (dealing with GREYHOUND service); this is a multiple-page thread, with a number of photo links (hope they still work!) as well as member's observations and opinions.

From a quick glance at posted comments, that bus used in "TOMORROWLAND" was, indeed, a 35-footer.

Just wanted to give you a quick "heads up"..... Wink

"NYO"

I just did that, and thanks for reminding me!
I did see those posts with the photo's of that particular bus, and the comments.
After five years, I tend to forget that we discussed it. And I only saw the movie, this year... Smile
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Yep, it IS hard, sometimes, trying to recall all we've discussed here, over the course of several years! Wink

Interesting to note, that, a number of companies operated "sightseeing roof" Fishbowls that they purchased outright from GM, instead of being "second-hand" WF buses.

GRAY LINE, of course, made good use of such buses.

A few of the other companies that ran "sightseeing roof" Fishbowls:

PSNJ

DE CAMP

ORANGE & BLACK

MANHATTAN LINES

"METROPOLITAN PROVINCIAL" (Montreal)

"YOSEMITE PARK & CURRY" (only was bus was operated, a 4503A)

It would be interesting to know just how many such buses were built.

"NYO"

*The CORGI World's Fair (GREYHOUND) Fishbowl I have has a destination sign that reads:

"X-LIRR & SUBWAY"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Earlier, you commented about your wife making comments about "nitpicking" when you spot obvious mistakes regarding transit in movies and/or television shows; Your's Truly is the same way (Mom used to laugh, and then remark "Well, you're certainly the one who knows!") Wink

A few obvious examples:

"THE HONEYMOONERS" movie (2005):

Early in the film we see exterior shots of an ORION, but, when we cut to interior shots, the bus is clearly an RTS! Shocked

Most of the film, however, got it right and used both INTERIOR and EXTERIOR shots of an RTS! Wink

"I LOVE LUCY" ("STATEN ISLAND FERRY" episode, 1956):

We see stock footage of a "MISS NEW YORK" class boat pulling out of Whitehall St.; then, after Lucy and Fred are asleep on the deck, we then see footage of a "MERRELL"-class boat, heading to and from St. George! Shocked

It gets even better in the classic 1957 "I LOVE LUCY" episode, "LUCY & THE LOVING CUP"; the interior set was, I admit, pretty much in sync with the IND/BMT cars of that era, even though Lucy and Ethel were supposed to be aboard an IRT Lexington Avenue train! Shocked

There's still more fun, watching stock footage of Lo-V's and prewar IND cars (on the "AA"); the ULTIMATE is watching a train of IRT R-12/14's on the #7, pulling out of a station (the film negative is in reverse!) Shocked

Ahhhh, the magic of TinselTown....... Wink
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the NYCTA and its successor, the MTA, are often “camera-shy”, when it comes to movies shooting on the subway, especially if the plot tends to cast them negatively....producer’s have to get creative substituting other properties such as Toronto, or even construct realistic mockups to fill in.
Some of the mockups are very good, and could fool even daily commuters, others are obvious fakes.
It’s fun trying to guess about the good ones...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Because the NYCTA and its successor, the MTA, are often “camera-shy”, when it comes to movies shooting on the subway, especially if the plot tends to cast them negatively....producer’s have to get creative substituting other properties such as Toronto, or even construct realistic mockups to fill in.
Some of the mockups are very good, and could fool even daily commuters, others are obvious fakes.
It’s fun trying to guess about the good ones...

traildriver:

Recall the circa-1977 "All In The Family" episode, where Archie, Gloria, and Mike find themselves on a stranded subway train, after the kids were looking at a new home up in the Bronx?

Here again, though not 100% authentic by any means, the set, however, did manage to capture the overall "feel" of a prewar subway car.

In 1944's "THE CLOCK" (starring Judy Garland and Robert Walker) there was a quite realistic set depicting the IRT at Grand Central (including a few live-action clips)

In this same film there was also live action and "set" scenes with open top FACCo. buses!

Going back to the 1956 "Lucy" episode, "STATEN ISLAND FERRY", I heard somewhere long ago that the Department of Marine & Aviation sent out to Desilu studios, assorted furnishings (some cabinwork, railings, fencing, etc.) to simulate the deck of a "typical" SI boat.

This was clearly authentic (the exterior cabinwork was spot-on for the older "DONGAN HILLS" boats; the "NO SMOKING ALLOWED ON THIS DECK" signs, also, were clearly authentic Staten Island Ferry signage (in the sequence where you see a "MERRELL"-class boat shuttling back and forth, one of the "DONGAN HILLS" boats can be seen passing by in the background

Mom used to say that "we probably rode the Staten Island Ferry more than a lot of people from Staten Island did, when you were little!"

Trust me, she wasn't exaggerating!Wink Very Happy

In another "Lucy" episode, "THE TOUR" (1955), Lucy and Ethel embark upon a GRAY LINE tour of Hollywood and Beverley Hills; there are several good exterior shots of a GRAY LINE Crown in action; the interior, though looking realistic, was CLEARLY a set, and not actually filmed inside the bus shown in the "action" footage.

Hooray For Hollywood...... Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I am now thinking of another "Lucy" episode, 1956's "BON VOYAGE"; AMERICAN EXPORT LINES, not surprisingly, loved all the publicity, and shipped to Desilu Studios a large amount of authentic hardware (ranging from bar paraphenalia, deck chairs, blueprints, and simulated cabinwork)

When the authentic pier set was constructed, you could see passengers boarding from the left side of the screen to the right; in actuality, the "S.S. CONSTITUTION" docked on the SOUTH side of the pair; AMERICAN EXPORT obliged Desilu by having footage shot showing the ship docked on the SOUTH side of the pier! Shocked

(there's also a quick shot of a MORAN tug, assisting the liner away from her West Side Pier!) Wink

"NYO"
kdr3bt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:56 pm    Post subject: .....and leave the driving to us...... Reply with quote

I thought of this board/thread when I watched this film.

Greyhound Promotional Film: Would You Believe It?
The coach used in the file is a PD 4104.

Things of interest to this board:
Scale model Scenicruiser, behind the boss's desk.

There is an interior shot of the passengers in their seats and it does look like there is a pull cord mentioned earlier in this thread or another.

I thought the pull cord was only in transit coaches because of the many local stops.

link:
Would you believe it?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdr3bt:

Thanks for the link and for "hopping on board"! Wink

This is now making me think of the 1934 comedy "IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT", which largely featured GREYHOUND.

There are a number of terminal and bus scenes (not sets); the bus interiors are also very much "spot on".....EXCEPT, for the part where a group of traveling musicians have passengers dancing in the aisle to the tune of "The Man On The Flying Trapeze"........the interior of the "bus" is QUITE flexible, shifting and bouncing as though it were rubber on springs! Shocked Shocked

"NYO"

BTW: The "pull cord" thread was started by Your's Truly, awhile back..... Wink
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kdr3bt:

Fantastic video! Thanks so much for posting!
What is interesting about that model Scenicruiser in the office, is the font used, which seems to be from the GX-2 experimental coach. This means the model came out before the final scheme on the production Scenicruiser's.

I didn't see the actor's names credited, but the character "Ted" (the boss), sure sounds an awful lot like that of Jack Kerry aka "the voice of Greyhound", whose recorded bus announcements were heard in major Greyhound terminal's across the country.
I wonder if it is him? He has made promotional films for Greyhound, but was not seen in them.

I believe the large terminal the bus enters, may be the Detroit terminal.

As for the bell cords...years ago, on many local runs in rural area's, passenger's would signal the driver to stop and let them off, anywhere it was safe to pull off the road. They also boarded by 'flagging' the bus.
Even today, Pine Hill Trailways continues this ancient practice on the back roads in Ulster County. Instead of a cord, there is a button to press in the overhead panel.

By the way, at the end of that video on youtube, the next video was even better. It showed a 1946 trip on Pennsylvania Greyhound Lines from the old Pennsylvania Greyhound Terminal in New York, to Pittsburgh.
Great scenes of the Silversides, including the outsides, the baggage bays, the interior, the driver shifting the "four on the tree" column shifter, etc.
There was a shot of the inside of the NY terminal, the ticket windows, the bus exiting on 33rd Street with the columns of the old Penn Station ahead, the bus climbing the 'helix' from the Lincoln Tunnel, and many other shots along the way, via Route 22. The stop at the Harrisburg station, where the driver's changed, and the entry to the Pennsylvania Turnpike toll gate, then scenes along the Turnpike, including a rest stop probably at Midway. Then passing thru the Allegheny Mountain tunnel, and finally arriving in Pittsburgh's terminal...

There's more after that one, which I will now go back and watch! Very Happy Cool Clap
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Regarding "THE HOUND" in films, can you recall seeing any "classic" flicks where "Hounds" are being used in charter service? Shocked

I can only think of one; a company outing (starting out from Manhattan) using several "Hounds" (SILVERSIDES and 4103!); this film came out in 1959, and was called "THE BEST OF EVERYTHING".

Just wanted to give you a quick "heads up"...... Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Page 19 of 73

Jump to: