BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

#11 BUS LINE (CHRISTOPHER ST., 1952)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: #11 BUS LINE (CHRISTOPHER ST., 1952) Reply with quote

All:

The following is from an ad in a 1952 DL&W timetable (for South Orange electric trains):

"TO UPTOWN MANHATTAN: VIA 9th, 10th, AND AMSTERDAM AVENUES TO LA SALLE (125th St.) TAKE BUS NO. 11 AT CHRISTOPHER ST. FERRY"

The ferry line mentioned here was operated by the DL&W from Hoboken, and shut down in 1955.

Does anyone here have any information regarding the #11 bus, such as what company operated it, etc?

Thank you in advance.....

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The #11 bus route was operated by New York City Omnibus it was their Ninth and Amsterdam Avenues line. It started at W. 10th Street and Ninth Avenue and ended at La Salle Street and Amsterdam.

Under MaBSTOA it was kept as the #11 but extended to West 132nd Street and Broadway in 1965.

In the December 1950 roster this route used fleet numbers 452-456, Yellow Coach model 740 and numbers 855-916, Yellow Coach model TD-4505.

Under NYCO ownership it was assigned to the 100th Street Depot. Under MaBSTOA guidance it was assigned to 54th Street in March 1964; Amsterdam in February 1965 and 132nd Street in June 1965.

With the models 740 and TD-4505 and possibly some TDH-4510 models (exNYCTA) while at 54th 54th Street the rest of the service was operated using TDH-5303 from the 3301-3555; 5201-5525; 6401-6900; 8301-8780 series.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

Greatly appreciate your input; this one was a total and complete mystery to me!

Does this line (in any form) still operate today, or, had it since been abandoned?

Again, thanks for the information...... Wink

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MTA still operates it as the M11, same routing with part time service to 145th Street and Riverside Drive.

https://new.mta.info/document/7546
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Wink

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears back then there were two "branches" of the 11 - the Christopher Street Ferry route, and that to Abingdon Square. The Ferry branch no doubt had been eliminated by the time MaBSTOA took over the old FACCo, NYCO and Surface Transit routes in 1962.

The trajectory of where it was assigned didn't account for the late 1972 reassignment to Hudson Depot where it remained to at least the 1990's. They were the home to the first 20 T6H-5309A's (4800-4819), which were among those used on M11 at the point such buses were inaugurated in early 1973.
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
The MTA still operates it as the M11, same routing with part time service to 145th Street and Riverside Drive.

https://new.mta.info/document/7546

Such extension to Riverbank State Park, I.I.N.M., would've been in or around 1994 - about 29 years to the month after it being extended north to 132nd. Wonder if it was extended a bit to Lewisohn Stadium in the final two summers of their concerts before that was torn down.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

Greatly appreciate the additional information on this line*; as I had stated earlier here, I drew a total blank with it.

Yet another reason why we need a (LONG overdue!) good published work on the history of MaBSTOA, its buses, depots, and operations.

"NYO"

BTW: Good to have you "back in town'! Wink

*As I had mentioned early, the Christopher St. Ferry (operated by the DL&W) ceased operations in 1955.

Unlike the busier Barclay St. line further downtown (which was abandoned in late 1967) the Christopher St. ferry used single-deck boats; these were the "HOBOKEN" and the "BUFFALO".
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B.:

Greatly appreciate the additional information on this line*; as I had stated earlier here, I drew a total blank with it.

Yet another reason why we need a (LONG overdue!) good published work on the history of MaBSTOA, its buses, depots, and operations.

"NYO"

BTW: Good to have you "back in town'! Wink

*As I had mentioned early, the Christopher St. Ferry (operated by the DL&W) ceased operations in 1955.

Unlike the busier Barclay St. line further downtown (which was abandoned in late 1967) the Christopher St. ferry used single-deck boats; these were the "HOBOKEN" and the "BUFFALO".

Thanks for the good word. If there's any activity on topics like this, I'll arise from the "dead" again. Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

"Encore" performances, perhaps? Wink

In my last post, I mentioned the E-L's Barclay Street ferry, which shut down in November of 1967; that April, the CNJ's Liberty St. Ferry ceased operations to Jersey City.

What bus routes would have been nearest to these two terminals?

Though Mom and I rode these ferries many times when I was a kid, I cannot recall seeing any buses outside of these ferry depots; I've seen very old photos of NY RAILWAYS streetcars at the ERIE's Chambers St. ferry terminal, and, also, at the "Union Ferry Terminal" (served by the boat of several railroads) at the foot of W. 23rd St (this terminal closed in 1946; by this late date, the only ferries serving it were DL&W boats from Hoboken)

I also have seen a photo (in a book about the DL&W's Hoboken Terminal) of the W. 23rd St. terminal, taken not long before it closed; I'm going to take a guess that the bus in the photo (only the rear was visible) might have been NYO.

In a discussion here several years ago, in another thread, I know that there was a bus company ("COMPREHENSIVE") that connected with the ERIE boats at Chambers St.

Appreciate any additional info.......

"NYO"
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a guess from Joe McMahon. If you work north from South Ferry, you can ask which buses met the ferries. South Ferry had an east side route (first and 2nd avenues, whatever chronology you wish) and a up-the-center route, #6 or Broadway. There was no up-the-west-side route, I believe, because the Hudson River streets were on landfill. The 9th Avenue el got the closest to the shore.
---
Liberty Street was CNJ ferry. (I don't recall seeing buses there).
---
Cortland was Pennsy (to Exchange Place) and the long ride to West Shore terminal in Weehawken. (I may have ridden that ferry once as a kid. It shows how important downtown once was.)
---
Barclay St. was Lackawanna. (I don't recall seeing buses there.)
---
Chambers St. had the Erie. Was the Erie at a disadvantage because of the hike from there to Wall Street?
--
As the island got wider (as you travel north) there was more incentive for a crosstown surface streetcar or bus)
See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ferries_across_the_Hudson_River_to_New_York_City
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:

I am familiar with this link; however, thanks for for posting here for others to refer to. Wink

The PRR operated ferries to 23rd St. until the opening of Penn Station in 1910; it also operated ferries from Jersey City to Desbrosses St. until 1930.

The Liberty St./Cortlandt St. area was a beehive of ferry activity for decades.; the CNJ had its terminal at the foot of Liberty St., while the PRR and West Shore boats had their terminals "next door" at Cortlandt St.

Interestingly, some time after the the last PRR boats operated from Exchange Place (December, 1949) the West Shore boats began using the former PRR slips; however, these boats could not use the upper deck loading bridges at this terminal, as none of the West Shore boats were equipped for upper deck loading.

By the mid-60's, the former PRR/West Shore terminals had been obliterated.

The day after the CNJ abandoned service to Liberty St. (April, 1967) demolition began on the majestic and lofty Liberty St. terminal.

The old DL&W/E-L terminal at Barclay St., closed down after the ferries to Hoboken stopped running in November, 1967, sat idle for some time afterwards; it was thought that it might be turned into a museum.

Those plans fell through, and the 1880's-era terminal was demolished.

Soon, the landfill excavated from the "Twin Towers" site filled in the Hudson River in the lower Manhattan area; today, Battery Park City occupies this area, and not a trace remains of the old ferry terminals, as well as the numerous piers in that area.....

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:30 pm; edited 8 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further uptown......

Recall, also, TARS streetcars (and later buses) connecting with the West Shore (NYCRR) ferries to Weehawken at W. 42nd St,; ditto 125th St., where the PSNJ/"ELECTRIC FERRIES" crossed over to Edgewater......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TARS streetcars (with NYO buses in the background) at the West Shore Ferry terminal, w. 42nd St.......

https://www.newdavesrailpix.com/tars/htm/tars001.htm

(courtesy: davesrailpix)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SURFACE buses running on 125th St., 1949 (note the old TARS tracks are still visible)

The 125th St. Ferry to Edgewater (then operated by "ELECTRIC FERRIES") was still in operation at the time of this photo; the ferries would cease running in December of 1950......

https://www.newdavesrailpix.com/tars/htm/tars153.htm

(courtesy: davesrailpix)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: