BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

On this date in 1978 (PS Terminal, Newark)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: On this date in 1978 (PS Terminal, Newark) Reply with quote

On this date in 1978 that, during demolition work at the former PS Terminal in Newark (the last streetcars departed in 1938, the last ASV's in 1948, and the the last buses, circa 1966)

During the demolition, workers broke through the roof of the long-disused outbound connector to the Cedar St. Subway (last used in 1938), and, also, severely damaged the two PCC's (both OOS) that had been stored there.

Both cars were cut up on the spot; TNJ was able to salvage parts from these two cars before they were totally cut up.......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aformentioned connections to/from the lower level of the PS Terminal, via the Cedar St. Subway, were only used from 1937 through 1938.

These connections were used only during rush hours; the last line to use it was the "#43 JERSEY CITY".

Why PS went through the expense of building this connection, which was only briefly used, is still puzzling today.

For decades, work cars and OOS equipment were stored in these long-disused connectors, located between Penn Station and Broad St. (Military Park).........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cedar St. Subway itself dated to 1916, and was used by those streetcar lines that did not use the upper level of the PS Terminal.

There was only one intermediate station in the subway, which connected to KRESGE'S department store (basement level)

It was not until 1937 that the connection between the lower level of the PS terminal and the City Subway opened; as noted here earlier, this connection was abandoned only one year later (1938)......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: On this date in 1978 (PS Terminal, Newark) Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
On this date in 1978 that, during demolition work at the former PS Terminal in Newark (the last streetcars departed in 1938, the last ASV's in 1948, and the the last buses, circa 1966)

During the demolition, workers broke through the roof of the long-disused outbound connector to the Cedar St. Subway (last used in 1938), and, also, severely damaged the two PCC's (both OOS) that had been stored there.

Both cars were cut up on the spot; TNJ was able to salvage parts from these two cars before they were totally cut up.......

"NYO"

The last buses ran from the lower level until 1966. They still ran from the upper level, until the destruction in 1978.

I vaguely recall Trailways using that terminal for its Newark stop, but I can't remember if they entered the upper level, or stopped somewhere on the street... Confused
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I am not 100% sure, but I believe that TRAILWAYS stopped curbside at the PS Terminal; GREYHOUND called at Penn Station.

In a book I have about the history of the City Subway, there is a circa-1950 photo of a PS "Compromise" roof streetcar on the #29 subway-surface line on Bloomfield Avenue in Montclair, being trailed by a (Greyhound) SILVERSIDES.

MARTZ also served Newark; I have a TT from 1979 that still lists Newark as a stop (the PS Terminal was gone by that late date)

The 1979 TT lists the MARTZ "station" as being located at 1171 Raymond Boulevard......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......also, in my bus timetable collection, I have a (Winter, 1964) "LINCOLN TRANSIT" ("LINCOLN LIMITED") timetable that has certain buses serving Newark Airport.

I also have a "flyer"-type schedule for GREYHOUND's (New Jersey) "TURNPIKE EXPRESS" service (SCENICRUISERS, HIGHWAY TRAVELERS, and the "GOLDEN CHARIOT" were used on these runs)

These buses served both Jersey City (Journal Square) and Newark.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to the PS Terminal.......

The PS Terminal was the location of two interlocking towers; one, at street level, was used by cars entering the Cedar St. subway.

The Terminal's other signal/interlocking tower was located in the lower level of the PS Terminal; I believe that the tower that was located in the lower level was later used by bus dispatchers.

Until the City Subway began operations in 1935, these were the only two towers used on the PS system.

When the Subway opened as far as Broad Street in 1935, a tower was built into the tunnel wall, above the tracks, just beyond the Broad Street platforms, to control the crossover/switches.

There was also a small "tower" on the outbound platform at the Norfolk Street station, which was used to switch streetcars of the "#23 CENTRAL" off the main line and up the ramp/trestle to street level (the "#23" went over to buses in December of 1947)

The tower, long boarded up, remained in place until the Subway rebuilding of the early 1980's.

When the Subway was extended to Penn Station in 1937, a new tower began operation at that location.
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

I am not 100% sure, but I believe that TRAILWAYS stopped curbside at the PS Terminal;
"NYO"

Yes, that's the way I recall it...we stopped on the street when I rode the Philly local...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Until the late 1960's riots, Newark was still quite a commercial/retail hub; both DE CAMP and SOMERSET had runs that ran from Newark out to the 'burbs.

As the years wore on (and the big suburban malls took away most business from the downtown department stores like BAMBERGERS, HAHNES, etc.) these services were discontinued.

PS itself also eliminated/cut back a number of Newark-area routes in those years.

There was also the "#144" (MOUNTAIN COACHES/TRACKLESS TRANSIT) that operated between Newark (Penn Station) and Caldwell.

I was very familiar with this (now long defunct) line for many years........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this day in 1977, two Shaker Heights PCC's were destroyed in a collision; these cars were replaced by two Newark City Subway cars (#'s 3 and 27, that were purchased from TNJ)

The following year, as mentioned previously, two OOS Newark PCC's (stored in the old connector to the old PS Terminal), were severely damaged when demolition crews broke through the roof of the long-disused tunnel (the last revenue cars to use this connector ran in 1938)

Both cars were cut up on the spot, and their parts were salvaged.

Now the City Subway fleet was down to only 26 cars, down four cars from the original 30........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contemplation......

Had PSNJ not converted the subway-surface streetcar lines to buses, but, instead, re-equipped them with second-hand PCC's, rail transit in Newark would be quite different today.

This would have been a streetcar operation similar to SEPTA's several subway-surface lines in Philadelphia; however, not only was there much agitation from local politicians in the adjacent communities to rid their towns of tracks in the streets and overhead wires, but also, PS was anxious (to say the least) to eliminate the remaining surface car operations.

As noted elsewhere on this board, the plan to convert the Subway (and connecting surface lines) to new-generation ASV's after the War fell through, when the City of Newark informed PS that it would not pay to have the subway paved for ASV operation.

Only then did PS begin shopping around for used (modern) streetcars, to replace the elderly deck roof and Compromise roof cars that were still in Subway surface......

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: