BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Memories Of The "Friendly Skies"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 37, 38, 39  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
I've always thought of the Convair "880" as being a sharp, stylish, snappy "roguish" airliner, sort of airborne Frank Sinatra, if you will! Wink

The "880", however, was quite a "thirsty" aircraft, and, not surprisingly, TWA retired their fleet during the oil embargo, in 1974.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_880

The later CV-990A, was the fastest jetliner in the sky, but like you said, "thirsty"....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
The doughty and dependable "Little Plane That Could", the legendary DC-3; introduced in the 1930's, a number were still flying in both commercial and military services, as of 2018! Shocked

Talk about being "BUILT TO LAST"! Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_DC-3

Agreed!
Those airplanes were way "overbuilt" in terms of their strength...

I happened to fly on Provincetown & Boston N136PB, which at 80,000 hours airtime when I flew it in the '80's, was recognized as the world's most.
Flew it from Hyannis to Boston. It had a whole extra line of seats installed, bringing its capacity up to 28. Handled that with no problem.
I happened to see some oil leaking out behind the engine, while we were preparing for takeoff, and brought it to the flight attendant's attention. She leaned over me, looked out the window, and said she would advise the Captain right away. She came back a few minutes later, and said the Captain said that, that was normal and okay...not to worry. He said I should only worry if I stopped seeing oil leaking out.... Shocked Laughing Laughing

Scroll down...
https://www.sunshineskies.com/pbadc3now.html

traildriver:

Thanks for the link! Wink

The DC-3 didn't seem all that daunted when the new jets began taking over; at many airports, you'd still see the doughty little fellows, handling short-haul and shuttle flights.

In the old VHS video I mentioned earlier, "PROPS OF MIAMI" (1980's) there were a few EASTERN DC-3's also on hand (one was being worked on) bearing the legend "EASTERN SHUTTLE"; both were wearing the blue/white "Hockey Stick" scheme.

Also, MOHAWK operated the "3's" on their famed "Gaslight Service" flights into the early 1960's; the carrier also ran flights between Newark and Atlantic City.

BENDIX AVIATION (in addition to other aircraft) once flew DC-3's out of Teterboro; BENDIX planes were corporate owned (or on loan from the military) and assigned to various divisions as the need arose.....

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite often, back in the heyday of early commercial jets, the sleek DC-8 found itself in the shadow of the legendary 707.

However, the "8" was yet another early jetliner that went on to serve many carriers for many years; the last I saw were at Newark Airport (these were UNITED craft) in te mid-late 1980's..........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_DC-8

The DC-8 may have been in the shadow of the rival B707, but later on, it surpassed it as the world's biggest jetliner...the stretch 'Super DC-8-61"
That is my all time favorite narrow bodied airliner...it seated at least 250 passenger's, and due to its very long fuselage, and relatively small tail, it looked like a train going by, if you were close to it taxiing on the ground...
Used to see them when driving under the taxiways at JFK, and Stapleton airports...and I flew on them or the DC-8-63 variant's from Stapleton to JFK in the 70's and '80's...
I was not until the 747 came out that Boeing recaimed the 'largest' bragging rights...
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Mohawk, I took full advantage of this deal in the '60's...rode lots of FH-227's and BAC-1-11's.... Cool

https://worldairlinenews.com/2012/07/14/prop-it-up-mohawks-incredible-weekends-unlimited/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
I've always thought of the Convair "880" as being a sharp, stylish, snappy "roguish" airliner, sort of airborne Frank Sinatra, if you will! Wink

The "880", however, was quite a "thirsty" aircraft, and, not surprisingly, TWA retired their fleet during the oil embargo, in 1974.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convair_880

The later CV-990A, was the fastest jetliner in the sky, but like you said, "thirsty"....

traildriver:

From "CONVAIR 880 & 990" (Jon Proctor)......

".......even if CONVAIR had met its original goals, the 990's guaranteed speeds would only have been been possible at 21,500 feet. Certainly, no airline would routinely operate at this altitude, except over the shortest routes. Fuel consumption would have been easily double that at economical flight levels, for the sake of an additional 18 knots........."

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Speaking of Mohawk, I took full advantage of this deal in the '60's...rode lots of FH-227's and BAC-1-11's.... Cool

https://worldairlinenews.com/2012/07/14/prop-it-up-mohawks-incredible-weekends-unlimited/

traildriver:

It would, indeed, seem that, back in your colorful heyday, you were not only "driving" trails here on solid ground, but also, "FLYING" trails up above in the "wild blue yonder"! Very Happy

Man, you truly "lived it all"....more power to ya! Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the first time my Dad saw a (new) "CONCORDE" on the news, he never referred to it as anything else but "Rodan"(!!) Shocked

Back then, we all marveled at how it was now possible to cross the Atlantic in such a brief span of time.....it STILL makes me think, even all these decades later! Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concorde

(there was even a Japanese tin toy version of a CONCORDE, in classic 1960's TWA livery; made many years ago; I'd certainly love to have one of these in my collection today!) Very Happy
Tiny Tim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Ft Myers area the Lee county mosquito control still fly several DC 3s for spraying. Also when I lived in ny next to JFK every once in a while a 747 would land and have 5 engines. They would ferry the extra engine that way.
Also people's express had 747s
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiny Tim wrote:
Here in Ft Myers area the Lee county mosquito control still fly several DC 3s for spraying. Also when I lived in ny next to JFK every once in a while a 747 would land and have 5 engines. They would ferry the extra engine that way.
Also people's express had 747s

Tiny Tim:

Thanks for sharing this info; I know from the books "SKY TRUCK", and "SKY TRUCK 2", that a number of old "props" had been used as "bombers" in the past.

One outfit, "CONIFAIR" starting fighting budworm in 1979; by 1984, their "fleet" included two "Connies", four DC-4's, , and three DC-6's.

"T&G AVIATION" used DC-7B's as "borate bombers" into the 1980's".

"BEIGERT AVIATION", in the mid-1980's, was using DC-4's and surplus military C-54's as "sprayers"..........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos of commercial airports back in the "olden days" show passengers boarding and debarking airliners via push-up stairways (or, sometimes, steps mounted on trucks)

Today, in most places, the "jetway" rules supreme, and has been used for the past several decades.

Interestingly, a prototype "Air Dock" was tested by UNITED in 1954; in 1958, the first operational jetway ("Aero-Gangplank") was installed at Chicago's O'Hare in 1958........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_bridge
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recalling MOHAWK's resilient DC-3's and the famed "Gas Light Service"........

http://dc3dakotahistory.org/dc-3-stories/mohawks-gaslight-service/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the interesting history of MOHAWK; it is also interesting to note, that in 1961, the carrier became the first airline to use a centralized computer-based reservation system.........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohawk_Airlines
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brief historical note.......

Long before there was a Newark Airport, there was an airport (of sorts) known as "HELLER FIELD", which was located in the North Ward of Newark; this airmail field began operations in December, 1919.

Landings here were difficult, due to surrounding factories, railroads, streetcar lines, and the Morris Canal (which, in 1935, became the trackbed for the Newark City Subway, operated by Public Service)

So many accidents took place at this airfield (including 26 fatalities) that the Post Office closed HELLER FIELD in 1921, taking it out of competition with Teterboro....

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The history of airmail* (recall, a few decades back, when one would have to pay extra postage for an air mail stamp?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airmail

*The origins of airmail date all the way back to the 1700's! Shocked
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Built in Teterboro, New Jersey (just 15 minutes west of Your's Truly!) the Fokker F-32 had the distinction of being the first four-motor aircraft designed and built in the United States.........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FokkerF_32
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Transportation - All Other Modes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 3 of 39

Jump to: