BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Journal Square, again
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a promotional map of the Journal Square Neighborhood in 1925.

https://mapmaker.rutgers.edu/HUDSON_COUNTY/Hub_of_HudsonCo_1925.jpg
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe:

Thanks for providing this link....QUITE interesting! Wink

When one looks at photos of the original Hudson Boulevard bridge at what is now Journal Square, you can see just how woefully inadequate it was for the ever-growing motor traffic in the area (bus and auto)

There was barely room, then, for two traffic lanes, in either direction, including the curbs on the east side of the span, where the jitneys/buses then loaded.

The pictures I have seen show early buses loading/unloading on the EAST side of the bridge only; perhaps the incoming buses made a U-turn (once on the south end of the span), and then let off passengers at the same spot where the buses would load.

This massive new construction project (the new Boulevard bridge) would not have, of course, effected PSNJ streetcars, as they used Sip Avenue to enter and leave their own private terminal.........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please enlarge that 1925 map and note how there was a proposed straightening of the Boulevard that never took place. It would have cut diagonally through existing commercial buildings.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
Please enlarge that 1925 map and note how there was a proposed straightening of the Boulevard that never took place. It would have cut diagonally through existing commercial buildings.

Joe:

Another factor on the history of Hudson Boulevard that many do not consider is that, a century ago, the "Boulevard" was considered quite "tony".

Like 5th Avenue in Manhattan, no streetcars were permitted to operate along its length; however, like 5th Avenue, streetcars WERE permitted to CROSS the thoroughfare (traveling east-west).

Obviously, the very earliest buses to operate on the "Boulevard" were the jitneys of that era.

My late mother (who was born in 1917) also remembered that, at one time, even trucks were not permitted to travel along the Boulevard (unless they had to make a delivery of some sort; refuse trucks. of course, were an exception)

For quite a few years, only buses and private autos were permitted on the "Boulevard"; in that area, Tonnelle Avenue was then the major truck throroughfare.

The mother of a friend/ex-coworker of mine (born in 1927 on Randolph Avenue) told me once, years ago, that she and her sister always dreamed on living on "The Boulevard" when they grew up, as "that's where so many rich people lived."

Ahhh, times have indeed changed.......(!!)

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this goes in this topic (not familiar with Jersey operations since I grew up in Queens and only visited Union City at least once every month to see my aunt and uncle)... but I thought you might enjoy this...

Two views of Broadway Bus Lines # 29 (Can't find this bus on any Yellow Coach/GM production list. Therefore, it leads me to believe that this is probably a second hand coach, possibly from Public Service) and a Beaver # 39.

broadway bus 29.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  132.22 KB
 Viewed:  10110 Time(s)

broadway bus 29.jpg

broadway bus 35 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.17 KB
 Viewed:  10110 Time(s)

broadway bus 35 (2).jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Man, I feel so dang OLD, seeing buses like these, that I can still remember riding in the Hudson County area, especially back in the early and mid-1960's!! Rolling Eyes

These remind me of the ancient relics "WASHINGTON ST." in Hoboken was still operating, through a good part of the 1960's! Very Happy

THESE were BUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

"NYO"

PS:

Where did your aunt and uncle live in Union City? We lived on 13th St., just off the corner of Hudson Boulevard, with Summit Avenue one block east.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: