BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Now it's time to say good-bye...to the faithful RTS.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......just was going through my copy of the "NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT AUTHORITY'S OPERATING BUDGET PROPOSAL 1988-1991" to see if I could find anything related to either roll signs or digital signs (on buses)

There was nothing at all that I could find to relate here; I was hoping that there might be something regarding the programming/repair of electronic signs (and, possibly, something related to the roller signs still being used on the non-RTS fleet, but, again, could find nothing at all.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As "indy" slant back RTS's were already at work in New York in 1979, I wonder why the MTA did not purchase these early RTS buses for their own fleet at the same time.

In this instance, it was not the MTA that become the "trend setter" by using these startling new buses prior to 1980..........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....this past weekend, while digging through old photos, papers, etc., I came across an (undated) MTA "RIDING SAFELY" guide/pamphlet (bilingual)

The wonderfully "cartoony" (and clearly "Noo Yawk-ish"!) artwork on the cover shows an RTS (block number "013") with a GREEN stripe under the windshield (this made me think of when the MTA absorbed "GREEN BUS").......... Wink

I cannot, for the life of me, even recall where and when I got this....... Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
As "indy" slant back RTS's were already at work in New York in 1979, I wonder why the MTA did not purchase these early RTS buses for their own fleet at the same time.

In this instance, it was not the MTA that become the "trend settter" by using these startling new buses prior to 1980..........

Just as Fifth Avenue Coach Lines was not the "trend setter" in terms of acquiring 'New Looks', the 'Tee-Yay' preceding them by a matter of months in the 1959-60 period.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

I truly wish that FACCo. began operating New looks prior to the "Tee-Yay"; as some enthusiasts STILL do not consider New Looks to be "true" Fifth Avenue buses, it would have indeed been a "feather in the cap" for the Company had THEIR New Looks been the FIRST on the streets on New York!

From "WELCOME ABOARD THE GM NEW LOOK BUS" (McKane/Squier):

"..........On October 2nd, 1959, FIFTH AVENUE COACH LINES, INC. exhibited its 'Bus Of The Future' to City officials. One sneering employee of the New York City Transit Authority commented: 'Bus of the Future my eye! It's the same wayward bus we brought out here from Pontiac three or four months ago and then returned to General Motors after our maintenance people looked it over'........"

He further commented: ".....'that bus has been laid up in New Jersey until Fifth Avenue Coach got a hold of it and brought it over here'......"

Also:

".......all of the new vehicles were assigned to operate in Brooklyn......."

(I'm guessing that at least some of these buses were being used to replace the B&QT trolley buses then about to be put out to pasture)........

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B.:

I truly wish that FACCo. began operating New looks prior to the "Tee-Yay"; as some enthusiasts STILL do not consider New Looks to be "true" Fifth Avenue buses, it would have indeed been a "feather in the cap" for the Company had THEIR New Looks been the FIRST on the streets on New York!

From "WELCOME ABOARD THE GM NEW LOOK BUS" (McKane/Squier):

"..........On October 2nd, 1959, FIFTH AVENUE COACH LINES, INC. exhibited its 'Bus Of The Future' to City officials. One sneering employee of the New York City Transit Authority commented: 'Bus of the Future my eye! It's the same wayward bus we brought out here from Pontiac three or four months ago and then returned to General Motors after our maintenance people looked it over'........"

He further commented: ".....'that bus has been laid up in New Jersey until Fifth Avenue Coach got a hold of it and brought it over here'......"

Also:

".......all of the new vehicles were assigned to operate in Brooklyn......."

(I'm guessing that at least some of these buses were being used to replace the B&QT trolley buses then about to be put out to pasture)........

That's the other thing. While FACL may've been behind the 'Tee-Yay' in terms of ordering New Looks in NYC, their group were the first to tread the streets of Manhattan - preceding by a few months the TA's second order of the 'Fishbowls' of which a few were assigned to the 100th and/or 108th Street garages to handle their six Manhattan Bus Division routes.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B.:

The other thing to remember is that the New Looks were indeed in the ultra-minority in the FACCo. fleet, overwhelmingly dominated by GM Old Looks;even the MACKS were more plentiful.

Here again, it is interesting to speculate......

Had FACCo. continued to be an "indy" company, as it once had been, it would have been great to have seen scores of New Looks all sporting FACCo. paint and lettering!

Of course, had that come to pass, we would not have had MaBSTOA, which, to Your's Truly, is unthinkable,

1960's New York without MaBSTOA buses would have been like Shea Stadium without the Amazin' Mets, or Coney Island without Nathan's! Shocked

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...Bus of the future! My eye...

The Fifth Avenue Coach demo to city officials

(I previously posted this photo in another topic)

Remember, this was indeed the Bus of the Future since all the TA's new looks were operating in Brooklyn. Therefore, in Manhattan, this was the Bus of the Future!

fifth_ave_coach_lines_debuts_its_new_wider_bus_to_mayor_robert_wagner_1959_barney_stein_2_882.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  204.67 KB
 Viewed:  15709 Time(s)

fifth_ave_coach_lines_debuts_its_new_wider_bus_to_mayor_robert_wagner_1959_barney_stein_2_882.jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the "Bus Of The Future"! Very Happy

When new, these buses were the most modern and most startling of transit buses; they indeed bespoke of a futuristic, ultra-modern, space-age Utopia, such as we were promised at the 1964-1965 World's Fair at Flushing Meadows!

As a kid, I used to call New Looks "Jetson" buses and "World's Fair" buses (for obvious reasons!)

It's hard to believe that so many years have gone by (TOO many!) since Fishbowls dominated the MaBSTOA fleet of old.....those were the days, indeed!

"NYO"

(BTW: SUPER photo!!)
Q65A

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love that destination sign Smile
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Gotta love that destination sign Smile

That makes TWO of us! Very Happy

"NYO"

*Looks like an ad for "Mad Men"! Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(the following photos via new links)..........Wink

Kingsbridge Depot, 1987......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?153786

(courtesy: nycubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd Avenue & Tremont, 1986.....

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?154760

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

126th St. Depot, 1986......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155965

(courtesy: nycsubwaay.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadway & Park Row, 1986.......

https://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?155973

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 15 of 31

Jump to: