BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4104s With Two Speed Rear Axles
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Carras

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some highway coaches did need the Roadrangers. Since no one seemed to answer this, Mercedes-Benz built a 13 or so speed highway bus that I rode inMay 2010 in Mexico.
Steve Carras

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roymanning2000 wrote:
HwyHaulier,

Last night, I went back and looked at some of the discussion on Hydrashift on the Trailways Yahoo group. The Hydrashift feature was a two-speed clutch coupled to a three-speed transmission. I didn't find any reference to the make of the transmission.

The two-speed clutch was initially used by GM (in buses, anyway) on the Scenicruisers. They offered it on 4104's from 1958 until 1960. One of the posters said it was rendered obsolete by later transmissions, including the Roadranger.

Roy

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, I wish so many would stop referring to the two-speed part as some kind of so-called "Clutch" used on the Scenicruisers when they were first built..and the 4104s.."... http://www.bluehoundsandredhounds.info/barscen.html#howmany has cleared up that "clutch" canard about the PD 4501. As fopr the PD 4104, their two speed fixture which, of course, did make it top some, WAS the same, but was on the differential/rear, so that's correct. .
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the late model 4104's that had the 'splitter' on the differential...they effectively made the Spicer 4 speed into an 8 speed combination. They were an attempt to give better performance to the bus. They were made obsolete when the more powerful 8v71 engine was introduced in the new 4106 model in 1961.

They way they were operated...you started in first, with the button down. As soon as you started moving, you lifted the button and when you reached the redline, you lifted off the accelerator, and then stepped down again and the rear end would go into high range. As soon as that happenned, you pushed the button down. When reaching the redline in one-high, you double clutched and shifted as normal into second, then as soon as clutch was released, you pulled button back up again, and so on until you reached four-high for maximum road speed. It took a bit of practice to get the rhythym smooth....

I never heard of a bus having a truck-type Roadranger, unless it was some kind of aftermarket installation such as a conversion coach. One exception may be some Crown's that GrayLine of Colorado Springs used on Pikes Peak tours.
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver -

Thanks! Noted the dates you mentioned. This brings back some memories. I especially recall the events,
and operator handling of the shifts, with the newer equipment on SAFEWAY TRAILS, when it had come
under control of CONTINENTAL...

.......................Vern.................
Steve Carras

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truck type roadrangers of thriteen or twelve speeds were reported on some sites, and Crowns and Gilligans can be found with 10 speeds..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: