BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"GREYHOUND SHUTTLE" (1970's)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: "GREYHOUND SHUTTLE" (1970's) Reply with quote

All:

In the original edition of Stan Fischler's excellent book on New York's subways "UPTOWN, DOWNTOWN", there is a 1970's photo showing the MTA's garbage train moving through the IRT station at Times Square, during the wee, small hours.

Above the platform (as part of a "TDI" display clock), there is an illuminated panel ad for the "GREYHOUND SHUTTLE".

I do recall these ads, many years back.

Any info on this advertised shuttle, and when it started and when it ended?

Appreciate any info....thanks in advance.....

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Greyhound's attempt to emulate the wildly successful Eastern Shuttle, which revolutionized air travel between New York, Boston, and Washington...
Greyhound simply used the 'shuttle' terminology to market their already existing hourly service between New York and many cities within a roughly 250 mile radius.
They empasized that no reservation's were necessary, and that "if the bus is full, when you arrive, we'll put another one in service, just for you"....

Imagine that nowadays....
My former employer, Adirondack Trailways, is one of the very few (perhaps only) bus line that still does that practice on certain trips.... Smile
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
It was Greyhound's attempt to emulate the wildly successful Eastern Shuttle, which revolutionized air travel between New York, Boston, and Washington...
Greyhound simply used the 'shuttle' terminology to market their already existing hourly service between New York and many cities within a roughly 250 mile radius.
They empasized that no reservation's were necessary, and that "if the bus is full, when you arrive, we'll put another one in service, just for you"....

My former employer, Adirondack Trailways, is one of the very few (perhaps only) bus line that still does that practice on certain trips.... Smile

traildriver:

Great info; thanks for your input! Wink

Interesting to note, too, that through 1968 (AFAIK), EASTERN was still using Lockheed Constellations on the Shuttle!

If I recall correctly, they were replaced by Lockheed L-188 prop jet ELECTRA aircraft, which served the shuttle until about 1977.

Speaking of GREYHOUND, I can't even remember the last time I even saw a GREYHOUND commercial on television; that last I can actually remember had the late Pearl Bailey doing the spot!

Sad to say, but, these days, it seems that GREYHOUND is just another intercity bus company, with virtually none of its former glitz and glamour appeal.

The days of "running dog" neon signs, SUPER SCENICRUISERS, and sleek, modern "Art Moderne" terminals are, quite, clearly, long long gone.......

"NYO"

BTW: Great trivia on ADIRONDACK still providing a bus for a single, left-over passenger! Very Happy
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver wrote:

traildriver:

Great info; thanks for your input! Wink

Interesting to note, too, that through 1968 (AFAIK), EASTERN was still using Lockheed Constellations on the Shuttle!

If I recall correctly, they were replaced by Lockheed L-188 prop jet ELECTRA aircraft, which served the shuttle until about 1977.

Speaking of GREYHOUND, I can't even remember the last time I even saw a GREYHOUND commercial on television; that last I can actually remember had the late Pearl Bailey doing the spot!

Sad to say, but, these days, it seems that GREYHOUND is just another intercity bus company, with virtually none of its former glitz and glamour appeal.

The days of "running dog" neon signs, SUPER SCENICRUISERS, and sleek, modern "Art Moderne" terminals are, quite, clearly, long long gone.......

"NYO"

BTW: Great trivia on ADIRONDACK still providing a bus for a single, left-over passenger! Very Happy

As I said...not on all trips...not on the "Greyhound pool trips", which do require reservations, and are governed pretty much by GLI's policies and procedures. But on the local trips, operated by ADT and PHK divisions, to New Paltz, Kingston, and towards Oneonta, they still run those the old fashioned way. The owner of the company, is very much service oriented.

As for the Eastern Shuttle...when they were running the L-188 Electra's, if they overloaded, they would roll up a Connie on standby for the overload. Later, when they went to DC-9's, they would use Electra's for 'protection'...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Great additional info! Wink

Recall, too EASTERN's "Whisperjet", back in the day? Very Happy

Funny, though, talking about aviation, reminds me of when GREYHOUND was contemplating helicopter shuttle service in the late 40's.....talk about thinking "outside the box"........ Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I know that GREYHOUND never served Long Island points (I know there WAS a garage in Long Island City, many years back) I always wondered if GREYHOUND ever contemplated any "short haul" business, between New York and far Eastern points on the Island (at least during the summer months)

Of course, the LIRR would not have relished the competition all, but it is interesting to think of GREYHOUND serving Long Island points, back in the day.....

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long Island, while having a huge business potential, also has a vehicular traffic nightmare, that discourages inter-city bus travel. The LIRR IMHO, is really the only way to go.

Besides the aforementioned Long Island City garage, Greyhound first started service to the NYC portion of Long Island (Queens and Brooklyn), when the Verrazano Narrows Bridge first open at the time of the New York World's Fair.
They ran a trip from either Washington or Philadelphia over that bridge, and stopped at the LIRR Atlantic Avenue terminal in Brooklyn, continued to the LIRR Jamaica station, and ended at an agency stop in Rego Park, Queens. From there, they deadheaded to/from the LIC garage. That service ended after a while.

Later on, they started a new service from NYC to Long Island, stopping in Queens Village, Hempstead, Huntington (Melville), and Islip. They also ran a shuttle to Utica Avenue in Brooklyn. At the same time, they started running some trips from Long Island over the Throggs Neck Bridge to New England and some on to the GW Bridge to Philly and Washington...
There was quite a bit of service at its peak, and other carrier's like Adirondack Trailways and Short Line also entered the Long Island to 'upstate' market.

Today, Greyhound has only a couple of trips that run from NYC to Hempstead, and a trip to downtown Brooklyn. ADT and HTL still run some trips out to Babylon or Islip, from upstate.

The only company that has seemed to do well the entire length of Long Island is Hampton Jitney, but they are not an interline carrier, and no longer even serve the PABT (they did at one time).
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

WOW!! Shocked

I see I was wrong; THE HOUND indeed DOES have Long Island connections, past and present! Very Happy

Appreciate the interesting historical "stats".......I certainly had no idea of any of this; of course, I DID know about the large role GREYHOUND played at the '64 Fair, but that was an entirely different scenario!

Also, I had no idea that GREYHOUND had any runs into downtown Brooklyn......VERY interesting! Wink

"NYO"

BTW:

Where does GREYHOUND service/store its buses in the general Manhattan area these days?
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLI has two places...a small Port Authority owned lot beneath the ramps to the upper level of the Port, between 40th and 41st, east of Dyer Avenue; and another, where they had been in the recent past, between 29th and 30th, along 12th Avenue.

While no where near the perfection they once had, as former owner's of what is now the MTA Quill depot, a whole lot more convenient than the past few years they shared (with us), Academy's Lot #3 in Hoboken...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
GLI has two places...a small Port Authority owned lot beneath the ramps to the upper level of the Port, between 40th and 41st, east of Dyer Avenue; and another, where they had been in the recent past, between 29th and 30th, along 12th Avenue.

While no where near the perfection they once had, as former owner's of what is now the MTA Quill depot, a whole lot more convenient than the past few years they shared (with us), Academy's Lot #3 in Hoboken...

traildriver:

Thanks.........just what I wanted to know! Wink

So.....GREYHOUND in Academy's lot in Hoboken; I have a number of photos I took at that lot, back in the late 70's, when there was still an interesting mix of vintage buses to be seen there.

Some were clearly OOS and used as parts donors, while others were simply being stored there until their next runs.

I also took some photos of a number of Old Looks there, including NHBL, SOMERSET, WASHINGTON STREET (Hoboken) and GREENVILLE.

I also took a few snaps of a couple of square-window Old Looks, then being used as school buses......ahhh, to go back, if even for a day........ Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I miss the most since my retirement last November (wow, that year flew by!)....taking empty buses to and from Academy for servicing, and seeing the wide variety of 'visiting' coaches getting serviced there from all over North America...
Academy has a tremendous variety of equipment in their fleet, as well.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
That's what I miss the most since my retirement last November (wow, that year flew by!)....taking empty buses to and from Academy for servicing, and seeing the wide variety of 'visiting' coaches getting serviced there from all over North America...
Academy has a tremendous variety of equipment in their fleet, as well.

traildriver:

I remember well, when I was still commuting into Manhattan, the ACADEMY buses in the yards; I can still remember the Flex Metros used on the #22 HILLSIDE and rush hour only "BOULEVARD EAST" routes; earlier, I remember Flex New Looks (I rode the New Looks on the #22 too many times to count, in days past; Mom often rode on them to go shopping on Bergenline Avenue in West New York, back in the day.

Later on, I remember ACADEMY using RTS's on both the #22 and Boulevard East runs, prior to the NJT takeover.

The ex-DART coaches (RTS) were AWFUL!!!! Mad Mad

Their a/c (when it worked at all) was beyond a joke, and the buses were always conking out.

I also remember a number of years back, when ACADEMY operated PREVOST "H" series coaches (the first arrived in 1992); Mom saw one once and remarked that it looked like an "English lorry"!

I still think that observation funny, as I had thought that they sort of reminded me (especially from the front) of the unique split-level BEA airport buses that operated to Heathrow and Northold airports, back in the 50's.

If I recall correctly, GRAY LINE used to (or still do?) stabled their double decker tour buses in Hoboken........

"NYO"

BTW:

What type of equipment does ACADEMY base at Hoboken these days?
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was there last, they had NJT NABI's, a few RTS, a bunch of MCI 'D' and 'J' model's, some Van Hool CX's, some Prevost H3's, some TEMSA's, Sprinter's, several oddball NYU contract buses (not sure of what those were, perhaps Gillig's?) I may have missed some....

Gray Line used the former Continental Trailways lot and garage, until a few years ago when the company was sold. That garage was actually owned by the Berardi family, and was on a 30 year lease...last I have seen it was up for sale, and empty....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
When I was there last, they had NJT NABI's, a few RTS, a bunch of MCI 'D' and 'J' model's, some Van Hool CX's, some Prevost H3's, some TEMSA's, Sprinter's, several oddball NYU contract buses (not sure of what those were, perhaps Gillig's?) I may have missed some....

Gray Line used the former Continental Trailways lot and garage, until a few years ago when the company was sold. That garage was actually owned by the Berardi family, and was on a 30 year lease...last I have seen it was up for sale, and empty....

traildriver:

Wow........seems there is NO shortage of "variety" in Hoboken, from what you are telling me! Very Happy

Thanks also for jogging my memory; I now recall CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS having a lot and garage in Hoboken (now THAT's going back quite a spell!) Shocked

Also, I had no idea that GRAY LINE was sold; who purchased the company?

Speaking of "variety", this evening, on a quick trip to the store, I happened to see (from a distance) a DE CAMP bus dashing along, which was obviously on a charter (I had not seen a DE CAMP bus in these parts in many a moon; I was quite pleased, too, to see their current paint scheme uses the old DE CAMP colors, and did away with that horrible "bare bones" scheme of some years ago.

I could not tell what type of coach it was (it looked pretty modern from the side); MCI, PREVOST, VAN HOOL?

I have not ridden on a DE CAMP bus in 44 years; as a youngster back in the early/mid-60's, Mom and I often rode Old Looks and Brills on the long-defunct #22 line out of Journal Square, to visit my aunt and uncle in West Orange.

Again, always appreciate your always "in depth" input....... Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite surprising to learn just how diverse and far-flung ACADEMY is these days; way back in the day, I only associated the ACADEMY company with the long-established "#22 HILLSIDE" route to Hoboken that I knew quite well for many years ("FRANMAR" operated the line prior to the ACADEMY takeover).......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Bus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: