BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, how are we doing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Feedback & Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: So, how are we doing? Reply with quote

I'd like to extend my congratulations to ripta42 and the BT3 community; it's been about a month or so, and things seem to be humming along pretty well.
Cyberider

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that, Bob! It's great to have a place to discuss buses again. Looking forward to more activity! Mr. Green
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: 'Ditto' Reply with quote

I'll do the best I can to keep things moving along! (only teasing!).

We certainly all should share in the success of this site because I think we are probably the best team in the business! (bar none!).

And if that 'professionalism' that we seem to radiate is a product of our experiences at BTN, then it was time very well spent and appreciated!

If I were the commander of this ship my last words would be; 'Well Done, Carry On!'.

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, inc. (operator), Jamaica, New York
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been about a month and a half now. So, how are we doing?

First, the good: We have 87 members, mostly from New York, but also representing Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, Ontario, and Pennsylvania. A third of you work for transit, a third of you don't, and the other third I don't know one way or the other.

We have 983 posts in 258 topics, with an average of 22.5 posts per day and almost six new topics per day. The vintage galleries have 788 photos in them (including duplicates I haven't weeded out yet), with about a hundred more languishing in Member Galleries waiting to be integrated. Many of them are even receiving captions! Again, if you backed up any photos from the old vintage galleries, please upload them. Please do not upload any of your own photos yet.

Now, the bad: The board is using about 2% of its allotted database size. While this is no need for immediate concern - if we continue at the current rate, we'll run into trouble around the end of July, 2011 - it means that, worst-case, I might eventually have to delete posts that are no longer relevant, move old threads to an archive forum, and/or delete inactive accounts. In the meantime, when quoting a post, please quote only the portion to which you are responding. This will help a little bit to keep the database trim, and it will also enhance the readability of threads.

Also, we have been attracting some spammers over the past couple of weeks. These posts and accounts are deleted and banned as swiftly as possible. Perhaps allowing open registrations was naïve of me, and if this continues, I will go to e-mail confirmation for new registrants. As with any message board, please be aware that the e-mail address you provide publicly may be picked up by spambots; therefore, it is always advised to have a "junk" e-mail address to use for message boards. This board does not restrict membership based on the domain of one's e-mail address.

I hope some of you found this interesting and/or informative. Thanks for making this place a success.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
It's been about a month and a half now. So, how are we doing?

Now, the bad: The board is using about 2% of its allotted database size. While this is no need for immediate concern - if we continue at the current rate, we'll run into trouble around the end of July, 2011 - it means that, worst-case, I might eventually have to delete posts that are no longer relevant, move old threads to an archive forum, and/or delete inactive accounts. In the meantime, when quoting a post, please quote only the portion to which you are responding. This will help a little bit to keep the database trim, and it will also enhance the readability of threads.

ripta42,

I am assuming that you mean that we have already used 2% of our allotted database, and that if we continue at this rate we will run out of space in mid 2011.

Now I see why 'Driver' (BTN) was so intent upon purging dormant accounts and adjusting threads and archives!

Your report, in general, is gratifying in the sense that the site is generating interest and picking up speed (we can't ask for more than that!).

I am certain that with your very capable guidance we will overcome any 'roadblocks' placed in our path, and we will continue to be the 'professional' leaders in the field!

Keep up the great work!

Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Operator, Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Quote:
Q65A

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think those are some impressive stats.
I checked out the Vintage Galleries earlier today, and they are terrific.
There are some really historical photos posted there.
Excellent work, ripta42, and thanks much!
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I last posted statistics about the board six months ago, so I guess it's time for an update.

Our membership has almost doubled, from 87 members in May to 163 today. We're still New York-centric, but we're branching out; here's our geographic distribution. The number in brackets excludes those who have joined but haven't posted.

NYC metro area (not including NJ) - 61 [48]
Upstate New York - 2 [2]
Massachusetts - 2 [1]
Connecticut - 1 [1]
New Jersey - 4 [2]
Pennsylvania - 6 [5]
Ohio - 2 [0]
Maryland - 3 [2]
Virginia - 1 [1]
North Carolina - 1 [0]
Florida - 5 [3]
Michigan - 1 [1]
Indiana - 1 [1]
Illinois - 4 [2]
Kentucky - 1 [1]
Texas - 1 [1]
New Mexico - 2 [2]
Arizona - 3 [3]
California - 9 [7]
Ontario - 4 [2]
Quebec - 1 [1]
Scotland - 1 [1]
Don't know - 47 [16]

Add those up, and you'll see we have 60 members who are only lurking. Come on, introduce yourselves!

I should also note that our top five posters don't live in the NYC area!

We have 52 members in the transit industry (35 bus operators/mechanics, 5 dispatchers/supervisors, 7 in management/operations, 1 in manufacturing, and 4 in subway/rail), 62 who aren't in the industry, and 47 whom I don't know.

While our membership is just shy of twice what it was six months ago, the number of posts has more than tripled, to 3,098 in 719 topics. The average number of posts per day is down from 22.5 to to 13.65, with just over three new topics per day. The database is 5.5% full, so there's no worries for a while.

The gallery is getting huge, in part because I'm gradually moving the HopeTunnel.org bus galleries there and in part because of contributions from many of you. As of this moment, there are 5,585 photos in the main galleries and an additional 2,288 in Member Galleries. That database is almost a third of its maximum size, which means there's only space for another 15,000 photos. Again, not worrying yet.

Thanks, everyone!
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad about the gallery because I have 14,500 photos to put in tonight! (only kidding).

I, for one, am very proud to be part of this most professional of all such sites, and would hope that what I, along with all my colleagues, have contributed has made BusTalkIII the apparent success that it now enjoys.

I look so forward to the continued meeting of new members, comradery and exchange of ideas that I find each time I log on.

Keep up the great work!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
The Don of All Buses

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Mr. Linsky's sense of humor! Laughing Bustalk III was the first bus forum I ever joined, I am also a member of others. I must say, out of all the other sites I've joined, they don't top Bustalk. they are good and all, but they mainly focus on just one area of bus discussion, not Bustalk.... Bustalk covers ALL buses !!! no mater where they are! So thanks to the owners/operators and moterators (spelling) as well as all the members of this wonderful community! keep up the GREAT work!!

Lord Bishop Don Valentino;
Don of All Buses
inkybus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while (about 1.5 years for me) since I've been able to talk transit, and I am glad that there is a place for it again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Feedback & Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: