BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Destination photos needed!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
frankie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Destination photos needed! Reply with quote

I am looking for photos of the original split destination signs used on the original batch of 1959 TDH-5101's (1-180) for a special project. These had the route number followed by the route name with the destination in small fonts below it.

PLEASE don't submit photos other than what I'm looking for. Thank you!

Frankie
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean TDH-5301, don'tcha? And wouldn't they have only used one rollsign on front, with the layout as you mentioned? As for "split" rollsigns (two on the front, one in black at left and one in red at right), that was held by Fifth Avenue Coach Lines and its Surface Transit subsidiary, on their batch of "Fishbowls" (FACL experimental air-conditioned 1-10, FACL regular 3101-3160, and ST 3161-3220).

Also, wouldn't the original rollsigns have been among the first to be made by Transign, with them being mylar? Or were they still using cloth rollsigns at that point?

Other than those minutiae, good luck . . . Smile
frankie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are absolutely correct - TDH-5301. By split, I mean vertical split (route over destination). These were the original format used on the first group of NYCTA fishbowl. And I do believe that these were mylar.

BTW, Any reason why I'm having trouble attaching files? All are below the max filesize, but message says the maximum filesize for all attachments is reached.

Frankie
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
BTW, Any reason why I'm having trouble attaching files? All are below the max filesize, but message says the maximum filesize for all attachments is reached.

Frankie

I did get a PM about this but I took it as couldn't post anything. I asked for more information but haven't received it. This post helps to understand whats going on. I will notify Ripta42, I don't know why this is happening.

And if needed, you can always send me an email if there is an issue with the board. I have been a little less observant the last 3 weeks thanks to life getting a little too hectic.
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel,

I contacted you about this last week.

I tried to post a reply and a new topic with an attachments and it wouldn't let me. I got the same message as Frankie.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
GBL Rebel,

I contacted you about this last week.

I tried to post a reply and a new topic with an attachments and it wouldn't let me. I got the same message as Frankie.

Yes you did, and i did get back to you. What I did not know/understand was it you couldn't post or couldn't post with an attachment. That is why I asked you to post a TEST message, I should have specified without an attachment. I did reach out to RIPTA42 for help as i didn't see any issues, and it is believed to be fixed.

Never hesitate to PM or email me with an issue. I can't guarantee I can help, but I will try.
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first two views are from MaBSTOA and the last is from NYCTA.

The MaBSTOA buses are TDH-5303s and the NYCTA is a TDH-5301. I know that the first TA New Looks did have this type of destination sign printed on mylar.

BTW, just for trivia sake... the MaBSTOA roll signs were by depot. In other words the buses based at 54 Street Depot only had signs for the routes based at that depot and no other. Likewise with the other depots.

However, this did not apply to the bat-wing signs. MaBSTOA had all the Manhattan based routes.

Not sure about the NYCTA bat-wings since those showed destinations and not routes.

IMG_2789.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.25 KB
 Viewed:  30607 Time(s)

IMG_2789.JPG

IMG_2790.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  67.7 KB

IMG_2790.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  93.87 KB

IMG_2791.JPG

W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roll sign on NYCTA 14, like on MaBSTOA 6830, would have been mylar, made by Transign, and thus likely the first for each entity. (MaBSTOA's front roll signs differed from the FACCo/NYCO/ST protocol with split front roll signs, black at left and red at right.) But cloth signs for TA Fishbowls would have also been prevalent in those early years in service.

As for side signs for the TA . . . I presume that, for Manhattan, one roll sign would have been for all destinations for all routes as the TA only operated five routes in that borough (M1 - Madison/Chambers, later M22; M3 - 49th-50th Crosstown, later M27 and now M50; M7 - 65th-66th Crosstown, later M29 and now M66; M11 - York Avenue, later M31; and M15 - First and Second Avenues, the only one of their routes to survive the 1974 renumbering blitz), and only one depot to handle them all (the 126th Street depot).
frankie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope this works. The example of the Rockaway Pkwy is the one I am looking for. These were the original signs from the '59 order.

Frankie

NYCTA 1 b.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  134.23 KB
 Viewed:  30595 Time(s)

NYCTA 1 b.jpg

NYCTA 1 a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.09 KB
 Viewed:  30595 Time(s)

NYCTA 1 a.jpg

W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those types of signs, I've seen on some pics taken between the early '60's and early '70's on those buses plying the M15 route in Manhattan (and some such signs were later transferred to later buses, I saw one such sign on a 'Batwing' fishbowl in the 8000 series.
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here are some other pics showing "original" signs from the first Fishbowls, some transferred to later models (even some Flxibles) :

This one was on the original bus to which it had been installed.

The next two pics are of original 1959-60 roll signs later installed on 1966-67 model 5303's numbered 8001-8202:

There are others, I'm sure, but this is a start . . .
frankie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are great! Thank you W.B. Fishbowl.
frankie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the custom destination sign I made for my Corgi NYCTA model. Wilson Avenue was just down the corner from me when I lived in Brooklyn back in the '50's.

Keep posting new destinations of this format here. Probably not many out here, but one never knows what's on the Internet.

Frankie

B60 003.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  220.38 KB
 Viewed:  30424 Time(s)

B60 003.JPG

W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
And here are some other pics showing "original" signs from the first Fishbowls, some transferred to later models (even some Flxibles) :

This one was on the original bus to which it had been installed.

That type roll sign was an oldie but goodie, and to prove it here's a 1961 photo with the same type:
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've said, some of these old-style front signs turned up on Flxible F2D6V-401-1's. Like here in this 1972 pic (from nycsubway.org) . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: